Why 1080p Resolution Matters in 'Call of Duty: Ghosts'

Status
Not open for further replies.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2010
"After all, the Xbox One will upscale the graphics in "Ghosts" to 1080p, so won't the differences be negligible anyway?"

gilgamex

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2010
"PC gamers and people who enjoy watching HD TV channels and Blu-rays are already familiar with how good 60 fps looks. However, Xbox 360s and PS3s displayed games at 30 fps."

This is wholly untrue, any current console can run games at 60 FPS or 30 FPS. There is no hardware limitation for this and many games OPT for 60 FPS, accepting the inevitable degrading of visuals oftentimes to hit that mark. Like the call of duty franchise this article is about!

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
Actually Call of Duty Ghosts is full of bullshit, on the PC they force the players to have at least 6 GB of RAM installed or it won`t run (excluding the fact that most of us have at least 8GB) when there are reports that the game actually uses 2 GB maxed out... so why the 3 times bullshit requirements ? And how come Battlefield 4 can run the same settings on both consoles the same while having better graphics than COD: Ghosts.

tomc100

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
This game is hardly next gen. The game is using the same Quake engine and being forced to do things it was never meant to do so that it runs like absolute crap. It is one of the most unoptimized game ever. The developers are too cheap to buy a new engine like Cryengine, unreal 4, or frostbite 3. They forced pc gamers to have 6 gig ram but a hack has shown that it works perfectly fine on 4 gig.

deftonian

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I like how your title of the article states it matters, then you pretty much state in the article that it doesn't.... Maybe an appropriate title would be "Does 1080p Resolution Matter in 'Call of Duty: Ghosts'?"

madogre

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2008
Most of the kids who play the consoles have no idea about all this any way, so they wont care and will gladly hand over mommy and daddy's $500.00 to MS for out dated GDDR3 console.

PSBone

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
If it really turns out that the xbone is so much slower than the PS4 (lets wait and see 4-5 months from now), then Sony will have a serious issue on their hands 2-3 years from now, as MS will be forced to introduce the next generation early and I think they will go back to a subsidized monster machine. MS will be able to handle the cost of that, but can Sony afford that?
I believe not

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
OK, so I'm taking Spanish and so I understand how difficult 2nd languages can be. Having said that, please change "Matters" to "Matter."

wysir

Honorable
Aug 9, 2012
It absolutely matters, esp considering that 1080p has been the TV standard for a few years now. I thought it wouldn't matter watching a DVD quality movie on my 1080p monitors when I first got them, man was I wrong. When you are stretching a 720p image over a 1080p screen, it stretches the pixels losing the quality that you might have on a 720p screen. Whereas a 1080p picture on a 1080p screens takes advantage of every single pixel, making a very beautiful picture. When 4K tvs are making their way to the market, it is silly for a company to ignore the current popular standard and undershoot it.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I find myself visiting TH less and less, and when I see grammatical errors in simple title headings, it confirms why. "Does 1080p Resolution Matters in 'Call of Duty: Ghosts'?"

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
I feel like this is an oversight. I don't care a whole lot about the resolution itself - more what it implies. Microsoft talked up balance and whatnot, but the resolution and framerate differences make it very clear the hardware is significantly different. The resolution maybe the only difference now, but later that may mean better effects, antialiasing, etc at the same resolution (ie when both do 720p or 1080p in the same game, one will have much more power per pixel). Let alone first party games.

Yes, optimizing around the eSRAM may be a factor, but the ROPs, TMUs, compute units all speak for themselves.

And oh, before anyone else is confused, that sharpness you see in the XBO version? That's actually from reduced RGB range in the game which will be fixed shortly, it may look poppier but it's actually crushing blacks (dark grey becomes total black), so despite looking punchier it's actually only removing detail.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
"This is wholly untrue, any current console can run games at 60 FPS or 30 FPS. There is no hardware limitation for this and many games OPT for 60 FPS, accepting the inevitable degrading of visuals oftentimes to hit that mark". Consoles like the Xbox 360 and PS3 are hardware limited. That is the whole reason for degraded visuals. Just like pretty much any PC can run a game at 800x600 with lowest graphics settings at 60FPS but it is still hardware limited. The hardware can't handle the max detail at 1080p.

graysoniv

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
I'm sorry but 1080p has to be the minimum res. I have a 60" TV which we sit fairly close to. We need 1080 not some crap 720p upscaled. Seriously why is this so hard. For my PC I am running 2K HD, BF4 looks amazing. It's going to be hard going from that to 720p...

Status
Not open for further replies.