Why 1080p Resolution Matters in 'Call of Duty: Ghosts'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hotice

Honorable
Mar 22, 2013
Fwiw 720 and 1080 are references to vertical, not horizontal, pixel count. The associated horizontal pixel counts are 1280 and 1920 respectively.

Hedobum

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
It doesn't matter one iota to the average gamer whether or not you're running 720 or 1080. The average gamer isn't playing the games on a 1080p or even 720p screen. At least not one large enough to make a difference to resolution.
The effect of HD resolution isn't readily seen by the naked eye until the screen size pushes up past 35" and even then, is negligible.

snadge

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2011
Upscaling also takes a lot of CPU power so has the potential to affect gameplay, however, there are many technologies that software can make use of to make it look better.. such as edge sharpening, noise removal and much more...but again this has overheads...a lot of over-heads... this is why PC gaming will ALWAYS have the best graphics than consoles

Nossy

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2005
It's either the Xboxone is crap, or the developer is crap. I think it's both. Looking at theoretical horsepower each system can pump, the PS4 has more power. Also, Activision/Infinity Ward have been milking this franchise and it won't be a surprise if they half-assed this to make deadline for all platforms. Conclusion, crappy system and crappy game. Stick to the grown-up game, BF4.

mikee462

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
Outside of the candy-coating that makes a game look pretty, and the frame-rate that makes a game appear to run smoothly, resolution can actually have a dramatic impact on game-play itself. Consider that what we're talking about is representing 3d objects with pixels. The lower the resolution, the less pixels to represent an object.

This isn't likely to cause any major imbalance on a console (per say), but on PC it can make a huge difference. For example: I remember making this discovery back when Battlefield 2142 had just come out. My rig at the time could only run the game on low settings at 800x600 resolution. I would get frustrated by how often I would be killed by long-range fire from a distance that I couldn't even see on my own screen. A year passed, I saved up and built a brand new rig that could run the game on max settings at 1280x1024. Suddenly, I was able to see enemies from much farther away, and I was able to take shots at these guys as well now that I could see they were there.

So, the point being... resolution does make a difference. It's the difference between a very distant enemy being rendered with 4 pixels, or none at all. *Essentially a 66% difference between 1080p and 720p. This doesn't have to be an issue, however. So long as the developers are aware of the fixed resolution they will use, and the fixed FOV (or FOV range). Then they can tailor their LOD settings, and projectile ranges to accommodate for fair play conditions.

Being a former COD modder for several years in the past, I can almost guarantee they didn't think of that though. As tomc100 said, they've been using the same exact outdated Quake Engine for years (They've also been using most of the exact same textures, models, and sound effects, too). When a new COD game comes out, it's usually just a subtle mod of the previous one with new level designs, characters, Ui, some hacky new functions, and occasionally new weapons. The core stays nearly exactly the same.

Knowing this, and knowing that all previous COD weapons were capped at a range of 1080 units (roughly 3,542 feet) I would actually be more concerned for the people buying the 1080p version. Every previous COD was made for a lower resolution, and, considering their track-record for oversights and laziness, I wouldn't be surprised if they were still using that same range limit, despite the increase in resolution that would make far away units more visible. In other words, I wouldn't be surprised if PS4 players felt more frustrated trying to hit distant targets.

Anyway... geek-mode deactivated. I hope that made some sense. All that brought back some fond memories and now I feel like coding. Adios! :)

mikee462

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2010
@jasonpwns "Can you factor FOV into resolution pls."

FOV has nothing to do with resolution. However, the greater the FOV, the greater the area that can be seen, thus - more objects and textures and particles and animations may need to be rendered. That's why sometimes a higher FOV can drop the frame-rate a little bit (or a lot). It really depends on how a game is optimized. A lot of games now will buffer or cache or pre-load data and assets (whatever method or whatever you want to call it). So FOV has less of a performance effect now than it used to in the past.

But... to answer your question again... FOV doesn't factor into resolution. It's just the angle of view, it doesn't change the pixels representing that view.

~ Cheers :)

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
The bigger story here is that a "next gen" system can't even do 1080p at launch on a AAA game. That tells us one of two things is going on, mabey even both. First the system may quite underpowered, and secondly they may be bad at optimizing a game for it. Either way I don't think this is good publicity for the next gen systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.