Why Apple is Tracking Your iPhones and iPads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Are you serious, what the hell has Tracking data got to do with Multi-tasking??? Are they trying to say that it only works when you have good tracking data :)...

The second "excuse" is a little more reasonable but still is a invasion of privacy even if it is "anonymized" before uploading...

n1kn31m

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
what they said about multi-tasking was meant to have been something like this:

many apps use location-based services, and therefore need access to your location. since multi-tasking implementation, more than 1 app could be running which would need this location info, so the phone stores it in a file which can be easily accessed by any running app without having to wait for triangulation / gps lock every time you switch between apps.

the scary part is what they said about the info already being stored into a different file prior to iOS 4, and only now having been moved to an easy-to-find location.

I disagree with keeping your entire history backed-up on iTunes - that's just even more personal data to which iPhone users are unknowingly giving Apple access to. Information is power remember? and it can be used for all the wrong reasons - admittedly there could also be a benefit from all this..
officer: "where were you sir on the night of the 24th between 2000-2200?" hehe..

G

Funny, I recall that in 1984 Apple had a commercial depicting the destruction of "Big Brother". Now, they have become "Big Brother".

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]n1kn31m[/nom]admittedly there could also be a benefit from all this..officer: "where were you sir on the night of the 24th between 2000-2200?" hehe..[/citation]
That won't hold up as evidence in court. The location data only shows where the phone was, not where you were. You could give the phone to a buddy, while you're robbing a house across town. The tracking data has very few positive uses, and NONE of those uses require them to STORE the tracking data for any extended period of time.

That's the real problem here. The phone is storing a history of where you were and when. Even if it uploaded data to improve network or hotspot availability, there's no reason to store this info long-term, nor is there a reason to back up this data to iTunes. It should have an opt-out option, that doesn't completely disable regular location functionality (it could store your last known location only in this mode, and update it whenever your location changes). When enabled, it should wipe the data whenever it sends (anonymous only) or after it becomes 48 hours old, whichever comes first. No saving to iTunes, no long term storage.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
F Off Apple and your lame excuse you are trying to spoon feed us, your almost as pathetic as the Fraulein Janet Napolitano and her excuses as to why her gestapo goons need to treat Americans as criminals at airports.

G

They bother tracking users, but they don't bother fixing the wi-fi issue.I updated my iphone 3gs to latest version IOS and surprise!Wireless not working anymore!And phone is out of warranty time...so...tough luck for me..right?After having this issue after upgrading, i found out online that this is a common issue UNADRESSED by apple!Come on, they are "adressing" my wallet..but they can't fix this???

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
they're developing an app for pizza delivery. when you order using an iPhone or iPad, no need to reveal your name, address, phone to a stranger. and all your friends on Facebook will be notified immediately.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]Centimetre[/nom]Are you serious, what the hell has Tracking data got to do with Multi-tasking??? Are they trying to say that it only works when you have good tracking data ...The second "excuse" is a little more reasonable but still is a invasion of privacy even if it is "anonymized" before uploading...[/citation]
No, the Wifi only one does not.

reggieray

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]epdm2be[/nom]Really? So that's why these days many phones come with a GPS chip but no user-software pre-installed. I didn't know that.Now I understand that the Wifi-only ipad has NO GPS chip, does it also store this info?[/citation]
Sorry, replied to the wrong one last time.
No, the WiFi only iPad does not spy on you like the 3G one does.

JohnMD1022

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Fully supported by Mullah Obama and his gang of thugs.

Remember... Mr Obama has told us that we have too much information, and that it is too accessible.

The Administration illegally withholds information requested under the Freedom of Information Act and other statutes.

Then, the FCC attempts to regulate the Internet, and wishes to revive the Fairness Doctrine.

Now Apple is logging the travels of its customers.

The pieces begin to fall into place...

jonyah

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
[citation][nom]neonbinary[/nom]Why is everyone singling out Apple? Google's Android devices have the same kind of location services. And iPhones and Androids both give you the option to opt-in, or to opt-out.I'm not in love with Apple, and when it comes time for a new smart phone I'll probably get an Android. But this shameless smear campaign really needs to stop.[/citation]

when you first activate an android device it asks if it can anonymously send tracking data back to google and it's deactivated by default. You can also go into your settings and turn it on/off. When it's off, it's OFF. That's not the same as what Apple is doing.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]slitelyoff[/nom]Uhmm...because multitasking requires tracking your every move for extended periods of time and putting them all in a database that stores your location? If that is truly an explanation...then that is possibly the lamest excuse I have ever heard. The latter excuse is pretty bogus as well. Once the data is collected why not delete the file? Also, from what I understand, this data was being collected EVEN IF you state that you do not want tracking enabled. Isn't that by itself an issue?[/citation]
You see my friend, most Apple consumers do not understand any of this and will "buy" any explanation from the company. As long as it makes them feel "special"...

Status
Not open for further replies.