Why are some of my tv's picking up signal and others aren't?

mathewvieiraart

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015
I have recently moved into a new build and have major signal issues which I am trying to resolve with the developers. I have one TV which picks up around 40 channels, terrible signal, but it still finds the channels. I have others which are unable to pick up anything at all even after a factory reset. Any ideas?

kanewolf

Judicious
Is this an apartment or home/duplex? It may be that the wall plugs are not connected to anything. Was there supposed to be TV service provided? It may be that you have to pay for cable service and that if you want over-the-air TV you will have to purchase an antenna.

mathewvieiraart

Estimable
Oct 9, 2015

Hi Thanks for replying. It's a semi detached house, the developers have told me that all has been wired and should be ready to go. I have an aerial which is linked to each room, and have tested each port. The issue is the same in each room, all my tv's have freeview, but only one of them is managing to pick up any channels. Could it be an issue with the tv's themselves, bit odd that it's more then one tv which can't get channels.

mjslakeridge

Distinguished
Try to move the antenna in various directions to see if the reception improves on the one TV that is picking up signal. I too have an antenna up in my attic, which connects to all of the wall jacks in the house. It helps if you know where the TV stations transmitters are located physically so you can point the antenna in that direction. If you get a better signal once moving the antenna around, try the other TVs on the same wall jack that the working TV is in. That will help confirm whether or not the other room's jacks are indeed wired up to anything.

kanewolf

Judicious
If this is an antenna based system, then it is possible that you have too many splitters to work successfully without an amplifier. Digital tuners are different than analog. If the signal isn't good enough they will just ignore it rather than give a snowy picture.

Antennaweb.org is a good resource to help with pointing your antenna for the US.