Why Chrome And Android Are Incomplete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Google should go for a single OS. Soon there will be no huge difference between portable pocket devices and desktops (well there will be some of course but it won't matter) . The only significant difference will be the user interface.
Google should extend Android from the smallest smartphone to the larger desktops, port LibreOffice to Android, enable more external devices (they've actually done it already) and chew a huge chunk of Microsoft's domain - the desktop/mobile OS.

The world is changing, computing is changing. Maybe it's time to end the Wintel monopoly for good.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
No, it's not time to end the monopoly. Businesses cannot keep on spending cash all the time and in all honesty, remove Microsoft and Google will gladly step in to TAKE your money.

P.s. Do you know how much Google charges companies? A whole heck of a lot. No thanks

serkol

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Since the last Androind supports mouse, external keyboard, and some other PC components, it's most likely that it will run on Chromebooks sooner or later (probably with the help of a virtualisation at first)

kj3639

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
I've never understood the purpose of Chrome OS. Wouldn't it just be easier to modify Android for desktop use? As the world of mobile computing and desktops merge, I hope Google just simplifies the process and makes Android instantly customizable to each. Keeping Chrome OS diverts resources away from Android development, which could easily be used for the home PC market.

epdm2be

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2011
It's not because some technofart believes that one unified OS should exist between Personal Computers and smartphones (or derivatives of it), that everyone else believes that too.

I certainly don't.

I want my computers to have the best OS for the task at hand which is usually very different from what I do with my handheld devices. Handheld devices are fine for passive media like music, movies and browsing. Interactivity on handhelds stops at messaging, email and (online) games. But you don't build, create and program on a phone or tablet. Especially not a jailed, sealed, crippled, closed system (usually with severe computational limitations) like most of them are (no matter what they want us to believe).

But then again. Chrome OS is targetted at the same market as Android. Media zombies who's only interaction is facebook or twitter, who's surfing needs start the Google homepage.

Of which are millions.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Just nitpicking here.

I have always wondered why the masses of people are always ready to accept what Google tells them. Like they've "innovated" this and that.

What has Google really "innovated" in the last few years with their platform(s)? Search preview was the idea of Bing. Pictures on search home screens were also ideas by Bing. That's just one example of Google lacking innovation now.

Such examples extends to Android as well. Home screens were ideas pioneered by Apple. Android@Home has been implemented successfully by Japanese/European telecoms for years.

My point is that whatever that people now claim to be "innovations" by Google, other companies have done before. The four examples listed above is (perhaps) just the tip of the iceberg. Given that, I wonder why people salivate all over one of the most evil corporations in the world, one that knowingly breaches constitutions of other nations and when pointed out, pretend that they knew nothing.

Guess it's easy to claim innovation when there are legions of loyal followers repeating the overlord's every words. The same goes for Apple too.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Seriously did you just use the word synergy?

Ah, I think you missed the point. You are saying that Google is not getting synergy because they have 2 OS's .. mobile (Android) and desktop (ChromeOS) ... and yet Apple does have the synergy with their mobile (iOS) and desktop (Mac OSX) ... am I missing something. They both seem to have 2 platforms.

Mattering how you look at it, Google is a head of the game, their 2nd platform is an integration of the web browser and the OS such that many features translate to the Chrome browser you can load on top of other OS's. Mac OSX and Safari are separate products and are comparable to Windows/IE. Googles entire thought process is in the cloud.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
If with proper UI Android allows users to multitask as easily as on Windows, then I have nothing against one OS for all devices. Customer support will rejoice at this event also all over the world. And rooting the device generally means you know what you are doing, often knowing better than the customer service person, and taking the proper risks when deciding to go for it. The general user would be happy with a controlled experience. If users have mouse and keyboard, and the ability to run multiple displays and windows instead of every program (widgets excluded) in full screen, then go for Android :) :)

G

Google is in similar mud with Microsoft, which is extremely different that from Apple is. Mind you that I don't like Apple (or more so it's users) but I have to admit that currently they seem to excel because of a clearer vision and roadmap.
For Microsoft the roadmap seems to be -keep doing the same old thing you did before- that is that they are still pumping out Win 95 like OS and Office which are the milking cows. Google seems to be flying in a myriad of different directions, lacking any coherence and a unifying idea about what it is exactly that they want to shape our future like.
Apple seems to be the only one with that vision and the vision right now seems to me like -we will shape it to be magical, but it's going to cost you-. That will be followed by magic-esque replicas from all the rest of the manufacturers.

I remember reading an article not too long ago regarding the disbelieve that supposedly Gates had when he was first confronted with the idea the Google was offering gigs of email inbox space. His point was "why is that needed in the first place". I think that explains a lot. The answer is, of course, "because why not?" and the people who lead the companies who wish to sell the future to us should have this answer in mind.
The future is great and pinkish and not littered with accountants and lawyers and such...

As with amazing search engines and the concept of online storage, and many other ideas out there, we're constantly reminded that amazing things are not only plausible but can also, maybe, be profitable.
But you have to try, you have to give it a shot. You cast your magic Xware into the wild and you make us feel that it's magic, and we'll effing buy it by the truckloads.

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
I'm tired of people saying that portables and desktops will merge. They treat desktop computers as stagnant technology. Hello? 6-core computers, upwards of 8GB RAM, monster graphics, how are any of these going to be on a portable device before the desktop tech industry innovates again? Sheesh.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
[citation][nom]wolfseeker2828[/nom]I'm tired of people saying that portables and desktops will merge. They treat desktop computers as stagnant technology. Hello? 6-core computers, upwards of 8GB RAM, monster graphics, how are any of these going to be on a portable device before the desktop tech industry innovates again? Sheesh.[/citation]
Windows XP runs on your monster, on the old Pentium2 with 128 MB RAM, and on the atom ultra portable or tablet. Not saying Windows XP as in that OS exactly should be running on these devices, but having one OS and one UI compatible for most devices including phones with half screen and half physical keyboard is a good idea to me. The phones will not run the heavy applications and games, don't worry, they will never be the monsters you described.

I agree.
Apple will probably use the same OS on both Macs and iOS devices.They already brought many features of iOS to Mac which could mean there will be an universal OS for both platforms soon.
I was expecting google to do the same but they clearly mentioned Chrome and Android are going separate ways

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
...What if there was a Chrome browser for Android (which strangely does not exist?)
Not strangely. Android is java, Chrome is C++ and webkit based, for which a decent Java version does not exist yet. Sure, Google could program a java Chrome, but it wouldn't be Chrome, it'd just have the same icon.

G

from consumers perspective, the only different between android and chrome os is that they have a different name. One is a browser and one is a system that runs on devices. Consumers tend to assume that they are compatible since they are both by Google. The consumers aren't wrong completely or at all, since a lot of basic features such as chrome to phone, springpadit, map, etc run on both android and chrome browser seamlessly.

Now, they need to make an application that consumers will be able to control and run their chromebooks from their android for presentations for free, and that will make it even more attractive for businesspeople to buy both devices.

I think that chrome will focus on being cheap while android will cost more (since it costs more for android to run). Al though chromebooks are not very cheap at the moment, but they will become cheaper. Its harder to make things cheap and then expensive. So this way, Google can adjust prices accordingly to how the market react to this. Wasn't the first iPhone cost like $600 + tax + earphone +other BS ??? Chromebook WILL get cheaper in the next couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.