why do these programs have so many limitations

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
Yes, it is a felony, but the plaintiff has to go through a lengthy and very costly process to do it. Since so many people do it, the MPAA prefers to harass the bittorrent servers. And most of the time, you get a warning before charges are pressed (so you can just stop then and nothing will happen). Once in a blue moon, they press charges (or typically charge a fine) against someone with a blazing T1 connection that uploaded a few terrabytes worth of data. You won't get in trouble if you have a normal 768k connection and you just like to download a few movies per month. I am no rookie bittorrent user. I know what I'm talking about.

hypermagic

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
I depends on who your ISP is.

Way back A dude in my Cisco class seeded BF2 and got a nasty C&D letter from his ISP, then he got dropped.

Some ISPs have packet sniffers that "sniff" out Torrent packets then thorttle down your Bandwidth.

Of course, there are Torrent encryption programs...

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007
True, but some clients already have the encryption feature built into the program. I haven't had any problems with verizon.

surrealdeal

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
"why do these programs have so many limitations"
d00d, fer sur, i hate it wen i download +100GB of warez and my computer fcks up.