Why does my Microphone turn Into a Speaker when it is in a Headphone Jack?

Solution
Also, an easy fix if you're having trouble and can't get this resolved in other ways is to buy a "3.5mm Y-adapter PC" from a site like ebay. This separates very clearly the channels in a 4 pole connection, and you would just use the microphone half. I'm assuming you only have one audio jack in the thing you're using, hence why you'd plug a microphone into a "headphone" slot. If not, disregard this advice.
Likely, it has the wrong style of connector for your device.

There are more types than just these, but this gives you an example of what I am talking about. Also, unless it is specifically a device port that works with microphones, in a headset type configuration, most headphone jacks do not work with microphones.

xf9q9t.jpg

Caleb Hale

Honorable
May 17, 2013
Plug it into the mic jack, right next to the speaker jack. Speaker is green, mic is pink or orange (or if it's a laptop use the other jack next to the one you are currently).

canadianvice

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2012
Also, an easy fix if you're having trouble and can't get this resolved in other ways is to buy a "3.5mm Y-adapter PC" from a site like ebay. This separates very clearly the channels in a 4 pole connection, and you would just use the microphone half. I'm assuming you only have one audio jack in the thing you're using, hence why you'd plug a microphone into a "headphone" slot. If not, disregard this advice.

Solution
No, you're probably right, which is why I asked. Likely, the only way to use a mic on this is using an adapter like you said or a headset that is intended for both speakers and mic, if it is supported by the device. Some devices simply don't have support for microphones beyond what is already included as part of the device.