Why Everyone Should Carry a Selfie Stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

jldevoy

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2011
Todays main problem seems to be that we live in a narcissistic nightmare where people spend more time documenting concerts etc than actually enjoying them.

nukemaster

Distinguished
Its not like you have not been able to do the same thing with a monopod(even a closed tripod) + remote in the past.

Used with care, it will not hurt anyone.

It is just lighter now(mostly because the phone is much lighter).

Not that I would ever get one because I have a camera for picture taking.

Because people getting more online votes or attention feel better about them selves.
People take pictures to post on the internet when a car crash happens instead of seeing if everyone is ok.

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
"But if you think about it, how is using the selfie stick not improving our lives?"

Okay Cherlynn I've thought about it as you challenged, and here is my answer to your question. It is not improving our lives, as it's a very immediate reminder of the increasingly self-absorbed nature of our society. For some people this can be depressing, and can result in feelings of alienation. That's why it's not improving our lives.

CherlynnLow

Estimable
Apr 7, 2014
Lol, thanks @Jpishgar ! Agreed! Maybe we should have a selfie stick pride parade!! hehe

@nukemaster SUCH a good point!! social media's made everything a competition, but that's another story for another time...

@alicepattinson what is a Selfie Stick Pro? Is that a particular brand of selfie stick?

@jldevoy that's somewhat true - i don't like when people overdocument their lives - like how every run or gym workout is a triumph

rutherfordsc

Estimable
Jul 21, 2014
I think one of the underlying frustrations with selfies, is that selfies and selfie sticks feel like they reward selfishness. Isn't it better to foster a sense of community by having a friendly passerby help you take a photo? It'll probably look better too.

Status
Not open for further replies.