Why I’m Waiting For The White iPhone 4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

codewarrior

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
You said that the people who would line for a white iphone is mostly women, if your a guy like me I would choose to go away from that line mostly because it can associate me with a gay color such as white, black all the way...

G

Not to also say that the commercials are always in a white background

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]"While beige was the initial color trend for PCs, Apple sent forth a burst of color with the first iMacs in 1999."Um, Rachel, you do realize that apple ALSO started with ugly beige computers when they started right?You apple fanboys (and girls) seem to have a nasty habit of omitting details in apple's history that make your favorite cult seem a bit less polished than you want to remember.[/citation]
Yes--I'm aware that Apple computers were beige just like all other personal computers. But, they did happen to be the first to make computers with colors somewhat mainstream.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]jayoptick[/nom]your waiting because your a fucking idiot Apple products are garbage every last one[/citation]
Really? Come on. Commenters with this little to say aren't really encouraged to read this site.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]Sorry Rachel, I'm going to have to (partially) agree with doron here. doron, you got marked down because of how you said what you said, and not what you said (besides, the thumb ratings don't really mean anything).Rachel, I'm sure you're a nice person with goals and ambitions that are far greater than that of consumer electronics; however, this article does make you look vapid and insecure.For fairness sake you could follow this article with a "Why I'm waiting for Windows Mobile 7" article as well. That would be adhering to the 3rd law of the Journalist's Creed: "I believe that clear thinking, clear statement, accuracy and fairness are fundamental to good journalism."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journalist%27s_Creed[/citation]
I'm not vapid and insecure enough to delete your comment-and I can see how you came to the conclusion you did. Because this article was an opinion article, I am not required as a journalist to provide an equivalent article on my opinions about Windows Phone 7. However, we did recently publish an article about that.
We try our best to give proportional coverage to every consumer electronics product (proportional to its popularity, newness, etc.).
Thanks for reading.

doron

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2009
[citation][nom]r0x0r[/nom]Sorry Rachel, I'm going to have to (partially) agree with doron here. doron, you got marked down because of how you said what you said, and not what you said (besides, the thumb ratings don't really mean anything).Rachel, I'm sure you're a nice person with goals and ambitions that are far greater than that of consumer electronics; however, this article does make you look vapid and insecure.For fairness sake you could follow this article with a "Why I'm waiting for Windows Mobile 7" article as well. That would be adhering to the 3rd law of the Journalist's Creed: "I believe that clear thinking, clear statement, accuracy and fairness are fundamental to good journalism."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journalist%27s_Creed[/citation]

After sending the comment I wanted to change it and make it less insulting, because that wasn't the meaning of it... It just didn't come the way I want. But it appears you can't edit in tomsguide so... Sorry again Rachel.. =/

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
[citation][nom]Tomsguiderachel[/nom]I'm not vapid and insecure enough to delete your comment-and I can see how you came to the conclusion you did. Because this article was an opinion article, I am not required as a journalist to provide an equivalent article on my opinions about Windows Phone 7. However, we did recently publish an article about that.We try our best to give proportional coverage to every consumer electronics product (proportional to its popularity, newness, etc.).Thanks for reading.[/citation]
You may not be required to do an opposing article, but as a journalist I think you ARE required to be unbiased and critical. Your "opinion piece" in this case, be it personal or otherwise, does show clear favoritism.

With that said, I have no problems with fanboys in general, and I would agree that even journalists are entitled to have a reserved opinion. But when journalists start sugarcoating articles to make something appear better than what it is, exaggerate certain points to the extreme, inject personal/subjective opinion and/or fail to mention important opposing views, it no longer becomes newsworthy, factual material. I've seen many journalists, and bloggers who call themselves journalists, commit this mistake.

Labeling articles as opinion pieces (or there lack of) is one thing, but at the end of the day, as a journalist, my credibility outweighs any personal preference.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Luscious[/nom]You may not be required to do an opposing article, but as a journalist I think you ARE required to be unbiased and critical. Your "opinion piece" in this case, be it personal or otherwise, does show clear favoritism.With that said, I have no problems with fanboys in general, and I would agree that even journalists are entitled to have a reserved opinion. But when journalists start sugarcoating articles to make something appear better than what it is, exaggerate certain points to the extreme, inject personal/subjective opinion and/or fail to mention important opposing views, it no longer becomes newsworthy, factual material. I've seen many journalists, and bloggers who call themselves journalists, commit this mistake.Labeling articles as opinion pieces (or there lack of) is one thing, but at the end of the day, as a journalist, my credibility outweighs any personal preference.[/citation]
As you may have noticed, my piece didn't even deal with WHY I'm choosing to buy an iPhone and not an Android phone. The opinion was limited to why I'm choosing the white vs the black. After all, we know that many consumers are limited in their choice of phone due to whichever carrier they happen to be stuck with (and yes, many people are stuck for one reason or another). It is hard to say that I'm biased in favor of Apple/iPhone without even knowing why I'm buying one right? I think you may have jumped to a conclusion.

When we do actual REVIEWS on this site, we never let our personal situations influence our testing and conclusions. But when we talk about our personal experiences, any number of factors may come into play.

Tomsguiderachel

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
[citation][nom]excalibur1814[/nom]Seriously, how much did they pay you for this article?Furthermore, they delayed the white version for one reason... MONEY. So many people will want to get the white version due to the, "Ohh, you have a standard iPhone, I have the white one which means I'm better than you!"It's... a ... damn... phone, not a status symbol.[/citation]
So, wait a second: Are you saying I shouldn't buy the phone I want? Or, are you saying that I should purposefully by one I don't like so that I'm not accused of wanting a certain phone as a status symbol? Or maybe you're saying that because I happen to like the white phone better, that I really am better you?

Apple won't give me the time of day, let alone pay me.

G

yeah i want my lcd monitor green like the good old days
apple seriously needs to stop and decide what more important color or a phone that can make phone calls.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Oh come on don't give her a hard time. If some gadget I like was only available in white and I like black, I would also wait for them to release a black version. Sorry to be stereotypical but for women the phone is also a fashion accessory, more so for @pple fans and @pple products.

blackjellognomes

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2009
[citation][nom]codewarrior[/nom]You said that the people who would line for a white iphone is mostly women, if your a guy like me I would choose to go away from that line mostly because it can associate me with a gay color such as white, black all the way...[/citation]
I can't tell if you're trolling or just demented.

G

There are 2 types of iPhone owners - those who buy them for their technical capabilities, and those who buy them for how strangers will perceive them. The existence of the latter group is enough to stop me buying one. This, I admit, is my problem. It's less of a problem, though, than that of those people who choose their gizmos based on other people's perception. The same people wearing those godawful inside-out australian boots, and leggings, in midsummer. The same ones who feel that enormous sunglasses that make them look like flies are somehow attractive.

I could go on. I call shallow, but only just more shallow than me.

A lot of people really do buy these as a status symbol ...

I just don't like touch screens ...

If it would help me with my staying power I'd consider one ... as the ipad is just too big ... and cold.

:kaola:

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Spanky Deluxe[/nom]Way to go resulting to personal insults at the writer. If you think Apple products are garbage then why are you reading stories about them? Chances are you didn't even read the article and have some strange unexplained anger at anything to do with Apple. I mean, chances are Apple has personally hurt you in some way at some point.[/citation]

I love the way he also incorrectly uses "you" instead of "you're" and proceeds to call the writer a effing idiot.

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
rOxOr:

'For fairness sake you could follow this article with a "Why I'm waiting for Windows Mobile 7" article as well. That would be adhering to the 3rd law of the Journalist's Creed: "I believe that clear thinking, clear statement, accuracy and fairness are fundamental to good journalism."'

Sorry but this is ridiculous. Being a journalist doesn't mean you aren't entitled to your preferences or opinions. Many journalists are employed specifically to voice their opinions, they aren't always just to present the facts without emotion. Look at Jeremy Clarkson.

'clear thinking' - are you trying to suggest she isn't thinking clearly because she wants the most popular phone ever and wants it in a colour that she likes?

'clear statement' - How much clearer could she be than saying 'I want a white one'

'accuracy' - How can you possibly accuse her of being inaccurate when she's voicing HER OWN OPINION?

'fairness' - How is it unfair if someone likes a product? Would it not be UNFAIR and DISHONEST if she pretended she liked some other product just to pander to the pathetic whims of people like you?

God - why do people have the OPINION that other people shouldn't be allowed to publish their own opinions? The reason most people come on sites like this is to gauge the opinions of the journalists / experts. If you wanted just pure unopinionated perspective on the different colours available - read a catalogue!!!

watcha

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2007
Annanova said

'There are 2 types of iPhone owners - those who buy them for their technical capabilities, and those who buy them for how strangers will perceive them. The existence of the latter group is enough to stop me buying one'

I completely agree. I think if I bought an IPhone or any Apple computer, I would be buying it DESPITE the social image it portrays. Lets face it, if you're sat on a tube or anywhere crowded and whip out your Macbook Air - it's fair to say people around you may think you're a bit of a nob. The key, for me, is that if I do buy any Apple product (potentially the new IPhone) - it will be because of the technology / features / reliability - and I'll try to keep it out of the public eye, lol.

G

I just cant understand how people who have problems with the existing phone they have within the contract lifetime decide to go out and purchase another phone from the same brand!

If my phone decides to break withing the contract period I change it for something that will not let me down.

samsung will never see another phone purchase by me again for the dismal Omnia, and Nokia for the n96, but HTC.. XDA Exec,TyNt2,Touch Pro 2,HD2 are all perfect and all workingnever had a fault, even the XDA Exec after nearly 6 years! I have had the Tough Pro 2 with WinMo6.5 and it has not crashed once in 4 months, not been reset in 4 months, worked every single use in every single task I have asked of it for four months solid, show me an iPhone that can do that irrelevant of the lovely white or black color.

Wouldn't touch a dodgy iPhone even if it was free, all my friends with them over a year old have problems, battery life, stupid resets in the middle of calls, speed issues, screen issues, every single one!

in0va3

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2010
I actually love the black color more than the white iPhone but everyone has their own opinions. I'm also not saying that I don't like the white iPhone though.

Status
Not open for further replies.