Why I Can't Quit the iPhone for the Galaxy S6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry Litmanen

Estimable
Jan 22, 2015
I am leaving iPhone 6 for HTC M9.
The only thing i will miss about iphone is the Camera. I don't think i ever took a bad shot with it. I had Galaxy S5 and iPhone Camera image quality (not the spects) was light years ahead.

Other than that really nothing holds me to iPhone.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I have the Galaxy S6 and an Ipad Air, the s6 camera is great, i'm a hobbyist photographer with $3-$4k in camera equipment, and while a phone will never compete with my DSLR's in quite a few areas, the image quality is very good given enough light. The OIS is phenominal, but IP6 has that too. My canon 6D and even my sony a6000 will dance circles around either phone in indoor shooting with just natural house lamps. But given enough light, these phone cameras are still great. THe S6 takes better pictures than my ipad, due to the OIS. Outdoors, both are about equal where you'll have to pixel peep to tell the difference.

As for APPs, the only app i wish android had was Nick Jr. Every toddler loves it, which is why i had to buy the IPAD.

Other than that, i have a life which includes very little of social media other than when i'm wait at an airport or something. So no other apple exclusive apps interest me.

Mark Spoonauer

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2014
I am leaving iPhone 6 for HTC M9.
The only thing i will miss about iphone is the Camera. I don't think i ever took a bad shot with it. I had Galaxy S5 and iPhone Camera image quality (not the spects) was light years ahead.

Your call of course but not sure I would pick the One M9. The S6 camera is a lot better based on our testing. In fact, the One M9 delivered worse performance and battery life than the S6. Unless you really like HTC Sense? http://www.tomsguide.com/us/htc-one-m9,review-2713.html

Other than that really nothing holds me to iPhone.

gggplaya

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2011
I should add, i wish the GS6 had raw camera images. Iphone won't, but google updated lollipop to allow for full manipulation of the camera API. If it had raw, people could do wonders with the RAW images.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
TL: DR he doesn't want to switch because he has other Apple things.

I try to avoid being too negative about article like this, but I can't help but question why it was felt this article was necessary. Ecosystem lock-in is the biggest and most well-known reason people don't switch platforms. After people dealing with this for nearly 10 years with smartphones since the first iPhone and first Android, it's not really news.

hausjam

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014
I here ya. I am not fond of iPhone anymore but everyone around me has one and it keeps pulling me back.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
Agreed. I'm stuck with Google's universe. If only there's a Nexus for that S6 hardware......

I try to avoid being too negative about article like this, but I can't help but question why it was felt this article was necessary. Ecosystem lock-in is the biggest and most well-known reason people don't switch platforms. After people dealing with this for nearly 10 years with smartphones since the first iPhone and first Android, it's not really news.

DarkSable

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012
So... you don't want to switch because you can't be bothered to install one program on your computer or download a damn app?

That seems like a... well, like a very typical american consumer, I suppose.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

This is one of many reasons to diversify your investments, e.g. where you invest your tech.

I used to be tied to Apple between Macbook Pro/iPhone/AppleTV/iTunes for all my devices, but once they switched to the lightning connector and started pushing OS updates that rendered my otherwise perfectly functional hardware useless, I decided it was time to divest myself of dependence on a single provider for tech.

Spotify replaced my carefully curated library of music, and its as good or better. As easy or easier. Its multi-platform and everywhere. Online or offline.

Cloud storage? Dropbox for the essentials, and BTSync for the big stuff.

Gmail is hard to beat, and I can import/export my contacts from there, but I dont need google for more than that, and I could tolerably go elsewhere with carddav support.

Outlook/GCal remain calendar giants, but I dont depend on that as much so I can cut ties when necessary.

I opted for a Nexus 5 for my last Mobile purchase, and have the option of Ubuntu Mobile, FirefoxOS, and need to investigate a CM build as well.

There are plenty of benefits from floating atop the dependence, and its not that hard to do so.

In the end, being a dynamic consumer makes providers work towards more compelling products, instead of just drafting off of zealots for a few years at a time.

mrjhh

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2007
So, using Google Keep for keeping notes, instead of Apple Notes was too much of a stretch? All one needs to use Keep in multiple places is to log into Google on your browser. And the photos get uploaded to G+, so don't understand that complaint either. Sounds like someone who didn't have time to learn how things work in the Google universe.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
Hard to believe what I just read comes from a tech-site writer. It basically sums up a few unfonded reasons and a pretty bad one (the iWatch - in a world where Motorola has an awesome and classic-looking watch, and even established watch companies are starting their own ecosystem-neutral offerings). The rest of the reasons just reflect the inability of the writer to do a basic app research in Google's environment (never heard of Hangouts, for instance, a better alternative to iMessage that comes with the other Google services, no need to install it even).
Kinda pathetic, for a tech writer. Expected a more objective comparison (which, incidentally, didn't turn out too good for Apple) instead of some op-ed that could have been written by a 5 yo .

Marius Cirsta

Estimable
May 6, 2014
Why I can't stand articles praising Apple ...

Seriously it's like this is paid advertising but without mentioning it. I would partially accept this if there were articles about why I can't live without my Asus Tranformer Pad , my HP Ultrabook or really , something else.

All is see is these apple fanboy articles which aren't even good.

none12345

Honorable
Apr 27, 2013
So, you'd rather keep using products that suck, because you are use to using products that suck. Ok i guess, to each his own!

Personally i wont touch any software that isnt platform agnostic these days. That way if i want to move hardware im not locked in. Its really pretty simple....

rluker5

Estimable
Jun 23, 2014
I'll admit, Apple has apps but it sounds like windows has everything else beat. I include the watch just because the only one in my family that would take one for free (if they weren't allowed to sell it on ebay) is my 5yr old daughter who likes attention. That poor son of his, best thing he has is minecraft.
I can understand where he is coming from with sticking to one os family, but I'd trade an awesome pc for a fancy phone any day.
Seeing as I'm not leaving windows for pc, I'd have to agree with his initial assessment - Samsung is better.

throbb2k

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
The comments about the smart watches shows the mentality of many Apple users. You say that Samsung watches don't excite you, you forget to mention that unlike Apple you don't have to by the same branded watch to go with your phone, with Android you get the ability to choose.

sc14s

Estimable
Feb 21, 2014
Really weak points.

There really is no app advantage for about 99% of users. Sure there are some exclusives where apple gets some apps faster because its more profitable in that market as opposed to the android market but I have increasingly seen apps coming out at the same time in both iOS AND android so that point is rather moot. I would also like you to name off some actually important apps that you couldn't port somehow to android (I'm guessing it would be a short list of semi worthless things) The reason for that is android devs can make anything and more than the apple equivalents.

The 'seamless integration' is also right there on androids market and is actually MORE able to integrate than apple does because apple is less willing to go into all the different markets, unlike google which completely allows you to go across different platforms (Minus windows phone.. but hey, who has a windows phone..)

Being an 'apple' family doesn't really change much. There are plenty of ways to circumvent that, if you aren't aware then you haven't done much research into the matter.

I feel wearables in general are very weak including the apple watch. It doesn't have a head up on the competition. They market isn't there yet and the use case is so weak right now for wearables: Oh, you can take your phone out less to check notifications! That is about 80% of the use cases i have seen and I am not spending $200-$300 for a notification checker.

You literally posted 0 good points as to why you should be staying on apple instead of moving between markets. Please don't post crap like this. Its biased and completely transparent.

esco_sid

Honorable
May 11, 2012
i don't understand why every apple article has comments hating on apple why do you care what other people buy or like ?? apple has its pluses and so does google but it doesn't mean you have to go on every article commenting about isheep that or this.

sc14s

Estimable
Feb 21, 2014
i don't understand why every apple article has comments hating on apple why do you care what other people buy or like ?? apple has its pluses and so does google but it doesn't mean you have to go on every article commenting about isheep that or this.
Its the fact that the article looks like an apple shill article that gets to me. I could give two s*** what people use. But arguing that there is any real advantage on either side of the main two markets is a load of crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.