Why iPhones Don't Need Antivirus Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlaw3x7

Prominent
Nov 28, 2017
If a device is jailbroken, the attack surface has already been dramatically widened. Thinking that one can stop malicious software before it gets a foothold is a fallacy given the device is already in a compromised state. Some might assume that only knowledgeable users (which can avoid such threats) jailbreak their devices, but a review of enthusiast forums would quickly reveal the inaccuracy of that line of thinking. Even so, we are all human and make mistakes. A jailbroken device needs to be protected from malicious software and mobile security software can provide a valuable solution for these devices.

Feb 10, 2018
Excellent article on the inherent security of iOS, however I encountered an issue that isn’t explained by your article - perhaps not surprisingly it was while I was using Chrome on my iPad Pro - Chrome locked up because of what I assume was adware - in my case, giftkindlebook.top says congratulations... I’ve never had a similar issue using Safari, but those of us that don’t belong to the Apple cult are used to using Chrome, so why doesn’t the “protection” extend to Chrome? I could guess but I don’t want to be cynical ;-)

Graybush

Estimable

Hey there!

Your response prompted Henry to write our latest installment of 'Help Me, Tom's Guide!'. You can check it out here: https://www.tomsguide.com/us/how-to-stop-ios-browser-hijacking,review-5151.html

Feb 21, 2018
I am calling BS [edited for swearing] on this article as of now. I am 99% sure I have a virus right now. I'll update if I am wrong but 20 yrs net/sys engineer, 15 in infosec. What I am seeing at this very moment is virus. Blocking all AV apps. Blocking MMS inbound. Phone is not jail broken. But just in general, anyone that says you don't need anti-virus is 100% complicit in idiocracy. How you can even write for a well known site is amazing. DUMBEST advice ever heard!!!! Again, if I am wrong, I'll update but I stick by the lack of professionalism to say one does not need anti-virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.