Question Why is a Bluetooth device shown in settings as "not connected" when I know it is

Tom Seeley

Estimable
Nov 26, 2020
iPhone 12mini, ios up to date; very limited experience with connecting anything by Bluetooth.

I wear a medical device (A Dexcom continuous glucose monitor) that I know is paired correctly to my phone and to the Dexcom receiver, as far as the device itself goes, but on the phone, in ios settings/Bluetooth it shows as "not connected". What does that mean?

Also, I wear hearing aids that I know I have paired successfully to the iPhone with Bluetooth using the hearing aid manufacturer's app, but those devices do not appear in "settings/Bluetooth/my devices" at all even though I know they are paired also. In Settings/accessibility under hearing devices the hearing aids do appear correctly shown as connected.

Tom Seeley

Estimable
Nov 26, 2020
Yes, no, in that order, for the Dexcom.

Because of how the Dexcom works I cannot do that at all. But I did resolve a side issue with Dexcom for how it’s supposed to share data. It’s working right regardless of how it shows up in the iPhone settings so I’ll let that sleeping dog lie.

I did manage to straighten out the hearing aids by doing as you suggest. They still don’t appear in settings/Bluetooth/my devices but they do work so see above re dogs...

it still puzzles me why devices I know impaired with correctly don’t show up in my list of devices, but I’ll give up. I’ll never understand all this stuff!

thx.