Why is my laptop so slow??

dan2804

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014
Hi all,
I have a toshiba satellite C50D-A-13G laptop
Specs are:
Processor type : AMD Quad-Core A6-5200 @ 2.0 GHz 2 MB
System memory standard : 8,192 (4,096 + 4,096) MB DDR3 RAM (1,333 MHz)
Hard disk capacity : 1 TB, 5,400 rpm
DVD: DVD Super Multi drive (Double Layer)
Display size : 39.6cm (15.6”)
internal resolution : 1,366 x 768
Graphics adaptor type : AMD Quad-Core A6-5200 Accelerated Processor with AMD Radeon™ HD 8400 Graphics
1 × RJ-45
1 × external microphone
1 × headphone (stereo)
2 × USB 2.0
1 × Multi-Card Reader
1 × HDMI-out supporting 1080p signal format
1 × USB 3.0
1 × integrated 0.9MP HD Web Camera (1,280 x 720) with built-in microphone
Wi-Fi: 802.11b/g/n (up to 150 Mbps)
Ethernet: 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX
Audio: Realtek ALC269Q-VB5-GR

I bought this laptop just after christmas 2013 so it's now out of warranty.

My problem is is that since buying it it has gotten slower and slower and slower and I can't work out why.
1. my wifi is half the speed as all my other devices. I have tried several wifi cards that work at 90Mbps odd on my 100Mbps internet, but as soon as I try them on my laptop it goes down to about 10-20Mbps.

2.My Ethernet port is dead full stop. windows installs drivers but detects no network when a cable is plugged in (and yes I have tried more than one cable and port on the router!)

3.windows doesn't always startup. it hangs at the windows flag and spinning loading thing for over an hour and then I turn it off and back on again and it does the same thing and the third time takes me to the windows error recovery where all i do is select restart and it comes on fine and then when I shut it down and turn it back on again, the same problem happens

4. my wifi will say connected but will not load any webpages and then suddenly say I'm connected with limited or no connectivity while all my other devices are perfectly fine

Here are my fixes I have tried so far:
1.Changed the hard drive from 5400rpm to 7200rpm and even an ssd, still really slow

2.Changed wifi card from standard one to 5GHZ one and even a usb one taken from other machines working fine and still it is slow and causes the limited connectivity issue

3.Tried a different os. Windows 7, Ubuntu, Suse and reinstalled windows 8 on several occasions and what happens is that for the first day it runs perfectly fine and then after that just goes to being slow at startup

Is my laptop just dying or is this all repairable

A fairly common issue is the hogging of resources by the cache of anti-virus programs. What AV program are you using and how is the cache set on it?
You might install a temperature monitoring program such as CoreTemp or HWMonitor to ensure temps do not get too high which would cause throttling and reduced performance

Good, that at least covers the obvious. How are temps showing and have you tried using a laptop cooler with this - if so, any difference?

dan2804

Estimable
Mar 1, 2014
Sorry for the long reply. After re installing all the drivers and software I found that installing the latest sata driver slowed my laptop down a lot and putting it back to the original version solved the speed issue, however my wifi still drops out a lot