Why is that ?

Da Vinci

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015
While gaming on my lappy, it generally hangs when it's unplugged from the charger & runs extremely well when on charging, why ???????????

Solution
The power profile.

When you plug in the power cord, your laptop will typically switch to 'high Power' mode, enabling the full speed of all components. at the cost of a large increase in power consumption.

While you are un-plugged your laptop will switch to a 'Balanced' or 'Power Saving' mode, where the CPU and GPU will typically be slowed down and have its performance limited, other parts like the HDD and WiFi will also be turned off when idle to preserve power, and a few other minor tweaks to the system occur.

You can force any power plan to run at any time, simply by clicking the power/charging icon in the bottom right or your task-bar.

Keep in mind, using 'High Power' mode while un-plugged will drain the battery at a very fast...

warhead0

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
The power profile.

When you plug in the power cord, your laptop will typically switch to 'high Power' mode, enabling the full speed of all components. at the cost of a large increase in power consumption.

While you are un-plugged your laptop will switch to a 'Balanced' or 'Power Saving' mode, where the CPU and GPU will typically be slowed down and have its performance limited, other parts like the HDD and WiFi will also be turned off when idle to preserve power, and a few other minor tweaks to the system occur.

You can force any power plan to run at any time, simply by clicking the power/charging icon in the bottom right or your task-bar.

Keep in mind, using 'High Power' mode while un-plugged will drain the battery at a very fast rate.

Hope this clears up your problem.

*edit typo's

Solution

raisonjohn

Estimable
Herald
Feb 22, 2015
Gaming on laptops consume a lot of power - that's the reason why it needs to be plugged in to draw the maximum power possible. When you remove the charger from the outlet, your laptop will run on battery which is configured to produce a lower power draw to usually maximize battery life.

There is nothing you can really do about it. Even setting the power profile to "high performance" will still result in lower performance when the laptop is not plugged into the AC outlet. It is how dedicated GPUs are designed to operate.

I believe integrated graphics (well... at least Intel) provides the same performance on "high performance" whether the laptop is plugged in or not. Maybe I will test that out when I have a chance.