Why Plasma TVs Are Dying

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubercake

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Even though they've made improvements in the area with plasma screens, burn-in has always been the major deterrent. Why worry when you don't have to? As LCD/LEDs have come down in price and provide great pictures even compared to plasma while using far less power, people are passing on plasma altogether.

jtd871

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
Smallest sized plasma that I can find is 42-inches. My cabinet only fits a 39 or 40 incher. I would buy a plasma in the size I want.

XxXGunXxXGraveXxX

Honorable
Aug 10, 2013
I am reading this article on a Panasonic s60 50 inch and it is crazy to think anyone would buy a lcd or led over this tv. I paid 650$ and everyone who comes over always asks what kind of tv mine is because the picture is so crystal clear. My best friend has a 60 inch led or lcd i cant recall which and he paid 2 grand for it and he even said he wished he would have bought the 60 inch version of my s60 pasma instead! Its just no one reaseaches tv's before they buy them and as a result uy the biggest piece of shi* walmart has thinking that has to be the best on the market....Thanks mindless drones for ruining the best quality displays on the market aside from oled's that cost 10 grand.....

outlw6669

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
I have since a few years a 50" Plasma and I much prefer it over any LCD model my friends have.
Deep blacks, great color and motion that smash what I see in comparison from the LCD camp; at less than half the price of any comparable LCD TV at the time.
Aside from the somewhat higher power consumption, the only drawback I have found is the reflective screen.

Quite disappointed to see another (mostly) superior, not to mention lower priced, tech being killed off :(

_Cosmin_

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
Well i own a Panasonic Viera (smart plasma) TV: it is the BEST... and it come with 5 yr warranty (most LED/LCD come with 2 yr only)!

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I really love my panasonic plasma, the picture is great. It does eat up a lot more electricity than an LED, but I don't have issue with ghosting. If I watch a 3 hour movie with black bars and then I exit and go into the PS3 main XMB, there is a slight ghosting for about 30 seconds, that's as bad as it gets. I don't like the 120 or 240hz LCDs at all.

zero2dash

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2007
Plasmas haven't had burn-in problems in a long time but that hasn't erased the FUD.

[wraps arms around my giant 46" Panny plasma]

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
A lot of folks are very ignorant about just how great the latest generation of plasma TVs are compared to the first generation. I own a Panasonic Vierra VT30 55" Plasma TV and it is still hands down the very best picture compared to any existing LED TV on the market. The 3D is absolutely perfect with no ghosting whatsoever...unlike LED TVs where I see ghosting all the time. The standard 600Hz refresh rate also is the very best compared to other 'inferior' lower Hz LED TVs on the market. As for any supposed issues with plasma TVs and using them at high altitude, I live in Colorado. My house sits at 6,800 ft altitude, yet I have had zero issues with my plasma screen for over 2 1/2 years. Still running strong and is used several hours daily. And regarding power consumption. It's just a plain lie that plasma TVs are not energy efficient. My Vierra power consumption rating is on par with LED TVs within it's class range. It is a sad day indeed to hear that plasma TVs are being phased out :-(

geok1ng

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Plasmas are dying because of market mambo jambo and the old ilusion taht new tech=better tech. There was a tiem when all decent priced laptop used an IPS panel. Now people pay USD999 for a TN panel. Plasmas are the best TV tech. And TV makers do not like plasma because it is expensive to manufacture and you can charge an arm and a leg for 10y+ tech stuff, so they introduced LCD and LED in the market. Only a complete blind person would ever consider purchasing a large TV that is not plasma. A blind idiot with deep pockets willing to pay double the price and receive the worst product.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
Plasma uses more power
Plasma is heavier
Plasma has ghosting
Plasma's aren't improving much compared to LCD
Plasma's are more expensive (comparing the models people commonly buy, not the high end stuff)
There aren't as many plasma TV's as LCD

That's why they're dying. In terms of quality both are so poorly setup out of the box it doesn't really matter which is better. As for screen viewing angles and glare it depends more on the face of the display, there are models in both classes that suck and are great, thankfully we're going back to matte screens.

You have to remember, the electronics that survive are the ones that go mainstream and don't aim for the high end markets. That's why Betamax died (CD/MP3 and Netflix/BluRay are a different type of battle). Plasma's made the early mistake of trying to be too good instead of good enough, it cost them.

aznplayer213

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2010
its only a matter of time as oleds start to roll out. hopefully in 5 years i can replace my led for an oled. my panasonic vt50 will probably be there till it fully breaks down...

garrettm

Honorable
Nov 15, 2012
I've owned a hitachi 50" plasma for what will be 6 years in November and it still works as well as the day I bought it. Picture is excellent and I don't have any envy of an lcd. Far superior imo to any of the crap hanging on the wall at walmart. Too bad they are considering phasing them out. Sad

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
I would replace our Plasma ST60 with an LED LCD in a heart beat if I could. It's an amazing TV with good colors and great blacks, sharp picture and great response time.

But I have it hooked up to a computer, and I lost count of the number of times an image remained on the screen for hours afterward. Everything from Youtube to Windows Explorer to the taskbar and the recycle bin.

Plasmas are terrible as computer monitors.

fat_panda

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I worked retail for the past 2 years, we slowly phased out Plasma TVs but they had the lowest malfunction return rates of all the TVs (1/20). We've replaced them with bunch of $500-900 Samsung LED/LCD with a return rate of 1/5 from faulty circuitry...I miss you Plasma.

Status
Not open for further replies.