Why the iPhone 5S Won't Revolutionize Mobile Gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Bruce_

Honorable
Sep 9, 2013
"the iPhone 5S' ability to run a 64-bit operating system instead of the traditional 32-bit iOS will allow developers to create more complex software that can perform many more simultaneous processes."

This quote makes no sense at all to me. The only possible reason for this is a new 64 bit API will let them get around possible limitations on the existing iOS API. Even still 'more complex'; 'many more simultaneous processes'? Really?

danbob999

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
"The iPhone 5S is the first smartphone to sport a 64-bit processor chip, the A7, which will allow it to run programs much faster and with much higher graphical fidelity. Without getting into too many specifics, the iPhone 5S' ability to run a 64-bit operating system instead of the traditional 32-bit iOS will allow developers to create more complex software that can perform many more simultaneous processes."

Is this really a tech site? This quote is 100% BS.
More cores allow more simultaneous processes. Not more bits. Also the graphical fidelity has nothing to do with the number of bits in the CPU. It mostly depends on the GPU. Games won't benefit from being 64 bit on the iPhone 5S.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
"Why the iPhone 5S Won't Revolutionize Mobile Gaming"

Ah, I know this one, it's easy.
Because it can't hold a candle to the Shield (and I'm not even a Tegra fanboi).

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Wait, wait, just because it's 64-bit does not mean it by default can run programs faster.

What part of the processor is 64-bit has a lot to do with this, as do many many many other factors, ie like 64-bit operations and optimization within the OS itself.

jl0329

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Trust me when I say it will revolutionize mobile gaming.

Trust me when I say it won't revolutionize mobile gaming.

Now, who do you trust?

michalt

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Let's see... if you release a 64 bit game your ipa size will increase, possibly pushing you over the 50mb limit for over-the-air distribution... you'll get a minor perf boost because the registers will be twice as big... and then you'll be able to directly access the >4gb memory on the phone! Wait... it comes with less than 4gb of memory? Never mind then.

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Wait, wait, just because it's 64-bit does not mean it by default can run programs faster.

What part of the processor is 64-bit has a lot to do with this, as do many many many other factors, ie like 64-bit operations and optimization within the OS itself.

toddybody

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2010
When the iPhone display grows an inch, and there are established and widely supported physical control peripherals...and when major devs create AAA content for them...

Eh, what the heck...back to PC/Next Gen Console gaming.

wopr11

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
I'm going to buy me an iPhone 5Same Gold because I want to play Infinite Blade 3 and all the other thousands of 64-bit apps available for the iPhone 5Same right now. It is going to make my life a million times better because Siri will be 64 bits and will be able to understand absolutely everything and not only the 5% she does now and also the maps will look awesome in 64 bit Color 3D and will not get me lost anymore - like they do every time I try to use them these days.
The iPhone 64 bit is the best phone ever in the whole world and will help me get my associates degree in cosmetology and I will get a better job thanks to apple and besides it is only $100 more than the cheapo colored plastic ones who were made for the losers.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
64bit CPU IS ONLY useful if you have
1. a Single App that use 2GB RAM(it is 32bit limit)
2. A device that contains >3.5GB RAM

otherwise the extra CPU 64bit registry is going to be redundant and wasteful because those thing consume energy

Apple is a FOOL to think everyone of us is a FOOL.

bobbybamf12

Honorable
May 15, 2012
Wait, hold the hell up...Did apple finally add something to the iphone that Android doesnt have...(HEAD JUST EXPLODED) To bad the Iphone screen ruins the whole phone...

sbuckler

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2004
Silly article. There will be no 64 bit iPhone games for a while. Firstly because they are completely unnecessary as no game requires that much memory usage, and while you might get more registers with 64 bit, you also get pointers that are twice the size so the game needs more memory.

However the main reason is what dev would release something that can't run on 99% of the iPhones out there. To make money you've got to sell lots of games, which means it needs to work on lots of phones.

Mrob760

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
i can't believe Tomfreak is the only person to point out the massive elephant in the room. i will quote him.

"64bit CPU IS ONLY useful if you have
1. a Single App that use 2GB RAM(it is 32bit limit)
2. A device that contains >3.5GB RAM

otherwise the extra CPU 64bit registry is going to be redundant and wasteful because those thing consume energy

Apple is a FOOL to think everyone of us is a FOOL."

redstar

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2001
I remember a day when 64 bit computing first arrived on the PC. Toms hardware and others stated nothing new was brought with it... save increased memory.

So what has changed now? :) I think nothing as the end of the article rightly points out to the updated cpu/gpu for improved performance and negates the intial 64bit statement made.

Status
Not open for further replies.