Wi-Fi Key-Cracking Kits Now On Sale in China

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I'm surprised that it even works, but it's a bit of concern. But then again, there are plenty of crackers available on the web for free as well.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Any Linux distro I have ever tried has a version of Aircrack for download. I think there are smaller distro's made just for that purpose.

STravis

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]ksampanna[/nom]Toms has a moral obligation NOT to publish such articles & give publicity to the thiefs ...[/citation]

I disagree - not knowing about stuff like this doesn't make it disappear.

G

While I agree using a kit like this is morally objectionable (not to mention illegal in many countries) I believe there may actually be legitimate uses.

For anyone like myself who lives in a multi-dwelling building like an apartment, we can tell you that the wifi spectrum (2.4GHz, 5.8GHz) is significantly crowded. In my particular instance this is due to the fact that the local DSL provider uses 2Wire boxes that come with built in wifi. In their infinite wisdom they have decided that this feature should be turned on by default. Default with low level WEP encryption no less! A customer plugs in their modem, plugs it in to their computer and likely never uses (or even knows) that the box is spewing unneeded signal into an already crowded spectrum.

The solution? Crack the wifi on the box and turn it off. The other individual would likely never know that this has changed, and if they did they likely have the know-how to re enable it (in which case you don't touch it again). As I mentioned before this is morally and legally questionable but personally I'm tired of having poor wifi stability where I'm never farther than twenty feet from my router!

sailfish

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
Yeah, like I'm really interested in sticking a illegal Chinese cracking device into my computer USB port. I might as well just log into a known malware pr0n site and give them admin privileges.

G

I think some have missed the point of this article.

It is not about that we can crack wireless networks but its about making it so that anyone out there can crack without having much computer knowledge/skill at all.

When piracy became just a few clicks it became mainstream.

I can see this becoming the case while ignorant people still use the older encryption standards.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Shloader[/nom]Ehhh... no I can't agree with that. The first thing I thought was that I should see if these programs will run under Ubuntu. Mind you not to steal others... I want to know how hard it would be to steal mine. Anyone with concerns of their own security should attempt to crack their own WiFi. Anyone I help setup I use WPA2 so long as everything in their house supports it.[/citation]

It isn't hard at all. The only challenge is to find network chips that will work. Most intel chips won't work, because they can't be put into 'listening mode' like cable based adapters can. Atheos and others have chips permitting this however, though most not from windows.
So basicly all you need do is locate and buy a network adapter with a compatible chip.

There are only two truely secure network types. Either you have one where the systems change keys every once in a while (where only the initial key is static) - thus the hacker has to listen to it just when a new client gets on - and know that this is happening. Or one could do as most companies do, and have an open network with an access controller between it and the rest of the lan.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
Wireless routers are not that expensive. If you live in a risky area get a new one with WPA2. Then use a random password that is over 60 characters. One thing allot of people forget is to password their router. Make sure to password your router access with a password as long as you are allowed to, mine is over 60 random characters or turn off wireless router settings if you can.
Also make sure to use your MAC Address filter. Last but not least always make router setting changes hard wired not over the air.

2zao

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Goverments of countries (including USA) need to advize the public of the risks of WEP and instructions on how to switch to WPA...

(even though i like to use my neighbors bandwidth to browse the internet from time to time when i am spending all my bandwidth downloading it should still be changed)

Hydrotricithline

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
Alternativley you could download the open source 'backtrack' as mentioned. Wepbuster I think it is, same deal, your own usb stick and a bootable one at that. personally I hope it bring awareness about it, as the average non tech savvy computer users have no idea about what is or isnt secure. Telus here in Canada is a great idea. Not only do they have wireless enabled by default on their routers on install, but they have the WEP keys using the customers phone numbers, which is semi-rediculious. More awareness is better imho. The cat's already been out of the bag for a long time now on this one, time to let a couple people know.

My thoughts;
Not yours.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]I honestly don't know a single person who smokes weed.[/citation]
I know very few people that don't. I only smoke weed maybe once a year (usually while hiking), but most people I know smoke it at least once a month. Of course I'm from Vancouver and that's sort of a thing here.

G

You don't need any of these kits to crack wep and WPa passwords,
there used to be a linux distro called "backtrack" (BT3) loaded with apps for network snooping.

But nowadays even on a basic Ubuntu install can you find the aircrack and other snooping aps!

Why pay 24, when you can have it working for free on your wireless computer?
(granted that the kit might be a little easier to handle).
besides I read that cracking WPA passwords could take several hours to several days, depending on the intensity of the password!

Best thing to do now is encrypt networks with WPA2 passwords, generated by the computer, and stored on a flash drive.
These pwds are very long and difficult to crack!

But even then, it's a very simple task for a network admin to grant access to the wireless router to a few mac addresses, making it impossible for a leek who does not know how to modify his reported mac address to snoop on the internet.
The kit does not provide you with that ability. You'll need BT3 for that!

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Maybe people should stop broadcasting their SSID and use MAC filters on top of their passwords. Also using WEP is generally a stupid idea.

cj_online

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
[citation][nom]figgus[/nom]Wrong, then they will just spoof your mac address too. It's another layer of security, and a good one, but certainly not foolproof.[/citation]
Can't they still access the Router menu though? once they hack it? Thru which they can modiy the settings...

wildwestgoh

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
Sadly this already available in Asia for a year already.
And I still see WEP widely used as WiFi key.
Moreover, people are selling it freely on the market, advertise through Messenger.
This is also one of my reason to ditch my WiFi and goes for GigaLAN instead, my Laptop is just few inches away from my router :p.

Status
Not open for further replies.