Wi-Fi not working after sleeping and Chrome crashing all the time.

JayPyo

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
Hello, All.

About a week ago I started having problems with my Google Chrome and Wi-Fi access. To start, Google Chrome all of a sudden starts crashing often and I cannot force close one of the processes via task manager so I end up having to restart my computer. Even so, it will still not respond once I restart. I have tried reinstalling a few times to no avail. Currently using Microsoft Edge instead but I'd much rather prefer Chrome.

As for my Wi-Fi... My laptop is usually sleeping as I don't actually shut down the laptop often (Not sure if this is bad or not). About the same time as chrome started acting up, my Wi-Fi did as well. After waking up from sleeping, it does not let me use anything internet related even though it says it's connected. However, when I go via Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network Connections it says my Wi-Fi is disabled and will not allow me to enable it.

I thought this screamed virus so I checked Malwarebytes and nothing suspicious popped up. I'm not sure if Malwarebytes is even a virus checker.

Windows 10 - 64 bit.
Please let me know any additional information I need to provide! Thank you!

First things first, I would reboot the device. While I am not a fan of leaving them on 24/7 (sleep or not) as over time it does wear on a device, you should, at least occasionally, reboot.

Also, that isn't for Viruses. You need to run an actual antivirus program. Also, you may want to clear out your Chrome history and cache, just make sure you save anything you need from it first. Specifically URLS and any logins or passwords for sites you have set to auto log you in.

Hopefully the virus checking will help you resolve the WiFi issue.

JayPyo

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017
Currently running Mcafee antivirus. I've also gone ahead and cleared my chrome history and cache. Hopefully, Mcafee can tell me what's up.

JayPyo

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

JayPyo

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Apologies. It would not let me reply for the life of me.

I ran Mcafee and it showed that it removed two items. I was hoping you could enlighten me as to what these are and if they are (most likely) the culprit..?

PUP - FPD
JTI/Suspect!131076

I'm also curious as to how I contracted the virus. I've never visited any websites that were suspicious. Is it possible to contract a virus/trojan when connecting to someone else's wifi? That's the only thing different that I've been doing the past few weeks!

The first one is spyware. The second is a virus I believe.

Yes, you can get it through someones WiFi. Especially if it is open and accessible to other. It can also happen by downloading an attachment in an email. Even from someone you know. Especially if they have it on their computer.

JayPyo

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

Hi again.

It seems that even though I had a virus, it was not the problem as my Google Chrome still crashes and my internet is very slow.

When I saw slow, I mean, I can look up something on microsoft edge and it will "load" for 5+ minutes. Speedtest.net on other devices says my speed is normal so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Have you tried rebooting the router/modem (and yes sometimes it needs to be even if other devices work fine) and then try the following...

1. Go to "Control Panel".

2. Next go to "Network and Internet" and then "Network and Sharing".

3. Now click on "Manage Wireless Networks".

4. On this screen, remove all wireless connections by "right clicking" on it and select "Remove network" from the drop down menu.

5. After doing this, close the open windows and reboot the computer.

6. Once the computer is fully reloaded, scan for the "Wi-Fi networks".

7. Click on the available network that you want to access and select "connect".

8. It takes a moment, but then you will be asked to give a password for your Wi-Fi connection. Type in the password and click the "connect" button.

JayPyo

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

I did a "Network" reset on my laptop which it says it removes and reinstalls all network adapters to their original settings. I also push the reset button on the router. Hopefully this will fix it..

Any solution for the google chrome issue? I've looked up other possibilities and it says that the extensions could be the cause but I only have adblock, grammarly, and the steam database enabled.

JayPyo

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

I'll try this for chrome. (Are add-ons and extensions the same thing?)

In the meantime, the internet is still wonky after awaking from sleep. I've tried troubleshooting and even though the Wi-Fi signal is connected (and the internet search works for Microsoft Edge -- sometimes) using Google Chrome to look up something, it will not load, or take forever to load.

Troubleshooting said "Default Gateway is not available" which I have no idea what that means. Suggestions?

JayPyo

Prominent
Jun 7, 2017

http://i.imgur.com/091vStx.png

^ won't let me use the [img ] thing.
For some reason it says it's disabled but internet is working...

Also, I don't know if it means anything but under Device Manager under the wifi network adapter it says "No drivers are installed for this device" All the other ones says "This device is working properly" so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the issue either. (I tried updating the driver by searching automatically but nothing showed up)