Wifi connectivity problem with laptop, help! (probably hardware related)

ITkorea

Prominent
May 14, 2017
Greetings to everyone!

Recently, my laptop has been having a lot of trouble connecting to the wifi. This was very unusual, because all the other laptops, pcs, and mobile devices were able to connect to wifi, but my laptop wasn't able to.

I first thought that this was a internal problem, but I discovered that, after cracking open the LCD panel, I discovered that a wire is broken. Obviously this isn't LCD problem because my LCD was working. The wire was connected is in two parts; one on the lid of the laptop, it was attached in copper colored tape. Another attachment was in the main board, to a chip that reads following;

WLAN MAC:
606DC72A56F1
and some other things.

I suspect that this wire that is broken is the wifi wireless antenna. Therefore, I want to ask some questions.

"Am I right? Is this a hardware problem or is it a internal problem?"

"If it is the wifi wireless antenna that is broken, will I be able to connect to the wifi if I purchase something like

https://www.amazon.com/ANEWKODI-600Mbps-150Mbps-433Mbps-Wireless/dp/B01G8IPLD8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1497676460&sr=8-1&keywords=wifi+wireless+antenna

Which is USB wireless adapter?"

Here are some specifics of my laptop;

model number : HP 15-af131dx
Platform : Windows 10

Thank you for your support and if you need any more information to help solve this problem, I will gladly update.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
1) I don't know if you're right or wrong. I can't see it without picture. however, from how you describe it, it sounds plausible that you're right.

2) yes, that will solve the problem. though you will probably want to disable the current wifi device in the device manager before you use that.

maxwellmelon

Honorable
Oct 2, 2013
yes using a usb adapter such as above will allow you to connect to the internet if internal wifi card is broken.......

can you provide pictures at all of what wire you are talking about?

ITkorea

Prominent
May 14, 2017
The question is that what would work better for my laptop. A new replacement antenna or external one? It seems like financially external USB antenna is cheaper and probably work better. What is your opinion on this matter?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
LeoLuca Laptop Tech Support 4
A Laptop Tech Support 0
I Laptop Tech Support 3
A Laptop Tech Support 1
S Laptop Tech Support 10
I Laptop Tech Support 1
J Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 3
B Laptop Tech Support 5
S Laptop Tech Support 2