WiFi Does Not See Public WiFi....... Why ?

Labrat0116

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
I took my laptop into my work (which has Public WiFi) last night.

My WiFi works perfectly here at home and is able to see a lot of other routers around my neighborhood.

However, when I took it to work, it will NOT see the Public WiFi router. Even when I was standing underneath it.

I'm running Windows 10 with no known issues and has all the latest updates and drivers.

The router at work and your WiFi may be using different channels. To see what channel it is using, you may need to contact the department at your work that handles the WiFi connection to find out the channel it is using.

Next you need to check the channel setting for your Laptop:

1. Go to "Control Planel" and then "Network and Sharing Center".
2. Click on "Change Adapter Settings".
3. Now right-click "WLAN device" and and then click "Properties".
4. Go to the "Networking" tab and click on "Configure".
5. Next click on the "Advanced" tab, go to "WZC IBSS Channel Number property" and look at the value/number it is using.
6. If this value/number is different than the one that your router is using, this can cause your laptop to not connect correctly.

If your laptop and the router/modem there have a conflict (your device doesn't use that channel) you would not be able to use the WiFi at work, or they would have to change channels.

Labrat0116

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
Is there any other way to see what Channel a Public WiFi router is using ??

Labrat0116

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017

I do have the program on my smartphone and tablet as well. Which BTW, both connect to this Publc WiFi router with no issues.

Only my Laptop does not even "see" that particular router.

Shouldn't my Laptop's WiFi adapter be able to see/scan ANY channel a Public WiFi router is transmitting ??

Labrat0116

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
I do not see the WLAN or anything after that. Is it in Windows 10 ??

Labrat0116

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
Ok, thank you. I'll check that out.

Labrat0116

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
Update

I bought a new Tablet (running Android 6.0 Marshmello) and it also will NOT see this Public router. Also, my boss bought a Kindle Fire. It also will NOT see this Public router.

I did send IT an EMail and asked which Band this router is Broadcasting on.

It turns out this router is broadcasting on the 5 Ghz Band. IT Tech said they can not use the 2.4 Ghz band due to possible interference with Medical equipment and devices. Not sure if I mentioned before, but this router in in a Medical Center. Our Laboratory's waiting room to be exact.

So, this begs the question as to WHY (3) different devices running (3) different Operating systems ALL fail to see this router. Windows 10, Android 6.0 Marshmello and Kindle Fire 5.0 (IIRC).

How could this be ?

That is really odd. I mean I know it can interfere with some things, but you would have to be really close to the device (router/modem) for it to effect most things. Most older devices (even recent ones) don't use the 5GHz band, however most routers/modems that do use it are (usually) dual band. So the router/modem should allow for it to work with your and most devices.

Did you check your device to see if it can actually be changed over to use the 5GHz band? On a newer Android device you should be able to check to see if it can change frequencies. Go into "Settings" then "WiFi". Next tap the "Three Dots" and tap "Advanced". If your device does allow for changing them it should have an option called "Wi-Fi Frequency Band" that you can tap now. On the next screen you should see options for "Automatic", "2GHz only" or"5GHz Only".

To find out if your modem will support it, I would suggest going to the manufacturer's website and seeing what the specs for that modem are. If it is 802.11a, 802.11n and 802.11ac all do work on 5GHz. However, with 802.11n it's optional, so they can actually be set to not work with 5GHz. You will also need to see if you will have to manually change it to access the 2.4GHz and 5GHz or if it have the option to set it to detect either. Sadly many don't have that option.

Hope this helps.

Labrat0116

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
Thank you for your detailed reply.

I checked this laptop here (Win10) that was not able to see that router. Under Control Panel, System I was able to see the properties of the WAN/WIFI adapter.

There was a setting that was Disabled that said 802.11d. I Enabled it. Not yet sure if it has anything to do with the 5 Ghz band. Hopefully it does.

I need to go check my Android Tablet still.

TRENDING THREADS