Wifi Doesn't Coonect with Fios...?

toicy4ya

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Sup Guys,

After resetting my verizon router, i am experiencing the same problem again.

I was able to connect my iMac via Ethernet and my iPad, iPhone, iTouch and XBOX wirelessly using the Fios router without any problems. However, for some reason I cannot get my Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop to connect through my wifi. I previously called Fios technical support, however the agent was unable to diagnose and troubleshoot the problem. He determined because I was able to have my other peripheals connect to my wifi, the issue lies with the dell laptop. I have spent weeks on google trying to find a solution but have been unsuccessful.

My Dell Inspiron came equipped with a wifi link 5100 mini card and runs off of Windows XP 32b bit. It currently has the most current driver. It should also be noted that i did not have this problem when I had optimum online internet running of a DLink N Router previously.

Can anyone offer me some assistance? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
First off, are you mixing up the modem and router? I'm guessing you are because there is no fios router, as all routers use ethernet coming from the modem.

So for the sake of the conversation, you are having troubles with your fios modem. I can't tell what setup you had before but I do know that modems that also act as wifi gateways/routers often have trouble with wireless traffic. I had the same issues with time warner cable.

There are a few things you can try to do:

- request a new model modem
- Try out a new wireless network card on your laptop
- buy a seperate router that does wireless.

toicy4ya

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
No, it is a fios router. This is the model I have, http://www22.verizon.com/home/fios-fastest-internet/equipment/

Why would I need to purchase a new network card or router, I didn't have this problem before with optimum running a D Link router.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009

Yes it is a router but it's also a modem. It receives the fois and converts the signal to digital so that it can be run through your ethernet cables. Before you go out and get anything, you should uninstall and re-install your wireless card through the device manager. Make sure to check the remove driver box during the uninstall if available. You can also try changing the wireless broadcast channel through the router admin page as a separate solution from the one above.

toicy4ya

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011

thor220 i tried uninstalling and re-installing the wireless card through the device manager and changing the channel but still have the same issue. I also checked the driver to confirm it was the most current through intel and dell.

toicy4ya

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
I was finally able to fix the problem. I changed the security setting on the Fios Router/Modem from WPA2 to WPA.

For anyone that may encounter the same problem, the following are the list of steps i performed to resolve the issue;

1.Connect Ethernet cable from Router/Modem to laptop
2.Access Fios Router setting by entering http://192.168.1.1/ in the address bar
3.Hit Enter
4.On Verizon Login enter Username: & password: (usually found on the bottom of the fios router/modem)
5.Select Wireless Setting (Top Bar)
6.On Advance Security Setting Select WPA (not WPA2)
7.Hit “Apply”
8.Go to your laptop right click on wifi (computer) icon on taskbar
10.Select “View Available Networks”
11.Double click on the Fios network
12.Once you get the pop up enter the security network key (found on the bottom of Fios Router/Modem)
13.Enter the security network key again
14.Hit "Enter"
15.Once the connection is established, you should now be able to access the internet via wifi

I hope this helps. It was a headache to figure out what was the problem initially.

thor220

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
It's a lot safer to just get a new card for the lappy, wpa is really easy to crack. I suppose it's a decent solution for the short term. That laptop's wireless card must be old if it does not support wpa2