Solved! Wifi fast for iPhone, agonizingly slow on laptop

Mar 28, 2018
I have had issues with my home internet/wifi since I switched to ATT U-Verse. I have the plan allowing for apx. 50mbs. My TV service is perfect, and the wifi constantly speed tests at or near the 50mbs mark on my iPhone 6S. However, the wifi slows to a crawl on my computer. When I speed test on my laptop I am not even getting 1mbs most of the time. Very rarely, if I reset my router/modem, I can get a higher speed, but more times than not reseting my equipment doesn't help.

I recently purchased a brand new laptop, an HP with the following specs:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.15063 Build 15063

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Manufacturer HP
System Model HP ENVY x360 Convertible 15m-bp1xx
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU 1KS76UA#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz, 1992 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.22, 7/24/2017
SMBIOS Version 3.0
Embedded Controller Version 32.60
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer HP
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Elevation Required to View
Windows Directory C:\windows
System Directory C:\windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.15063.909"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB
Available Physical Memory 12.0 GB
Total Virtual Memory 18.3 GB
Available Virtual Memory 14.2 GB
Page File Space 2.38 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Device Encryption Support Elevation Required to View
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

My Wifi is:

Protocol: 802.11ac
Security type: WPA2-Personal
Network band: 5 GHz
Network channel: 64

Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
Description: Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265
Driver version: 19.51.9.1

I have attempted forgetting the network and reassigning it, I've reset my router both by the button and unpowering it. The fact that my wifi is as fast as I'm paying for on my phone but not on my computer just makes me confused and I'm fed up with it. Any help would be appreciated, and if any more information is needed please ask.

Solution
Well, if it is within the modem's settings (which it could be) then that is something you can access yourself and check/resolve. You can change options like speed of secondary devices, time limits during the day when different devices can access, etc.

If it isn't that, then I would call your carrier/service provider and speak to internet tech support. Ask them if there is anything on your account limiting the number of devices you can connect, or if it limits the speed of secondary devices. If the person you are talking to seems to not know, or acts like that isn't done, ask to speak to a supervisor. You may have to speak to a few people before getting one that actually knows what you mean and will give a straight informed answer...
Try removing the phone from the WiFi connection and then while it is off, connect the laptop. If your speed goes all the way up, there is something either in the modem's settings (which you can check), or through your provider having restrictions, that is making you have slower access on a secondary device. Some companies sadly do that. You may want to check with yours.

Mar 28, 2018

So I turned the wifi on my phone off and my laptop seems to be going incredibly fast now, I'm thinking this is the case. Do you know what I need to talk to ATT about? This whole "slowing" of secondary devices is something I've never seen before, is there a fix for it?

Well, if it is within the modem's settings (which it could be) then that is something you can access yourself and check/resolve. You can change options like speed of secondary devices, time limits during the day when different devices can access, etc.

If it isn't that, then I would call your carrier/service provider and speak to internet tech support. Ask them if there is anything on your account limiting the number of devices you can connect, or if it limits the speed of secondary devices. If the person you are talking to seems to not know, or acts like that isn't done, ask to speak to a supervisor. You may have to speak to a few people before getting one that actually knows what you mean and will give a straight informed answer. Sadly that is really common in such areas as it isn't 'tech' people they hire to do tech support. :) At least not the ones the customers usually get when they call in.

Solution