wifi in detached garage

Mar 15, 2018
I need to get wifi in a recently built detached garage. The garage is roughly 200' from my house and modem. I am currently renting a modem/router through Comcast and would like to purchase a modem and router and stop renting. I will be streaming HD content in the garage. I am unsure if I need to purchase a modem and router and extender or modem and two routers, one router in the house and one in the garage. It is just my wife and myself so we do not have many devices.

kanewolf

Judicious
You could setup a point-to-point wireless network with a PAIR of outdoor wireless adapters from Engenius or Ubiquiti. If the garage shares a breaker panel with the house, you might be able to use powerline network adapters. Or you could use direct burial ethernet cable.

Those are your three basic choices.

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
For Point to point i would look at the MikroTik Wireless wire $165 for the whole bridge and will do 1gbps across it. We were going to use it at work but instead went with Ignitenet metrolinq that does the same speed but goes .5 miles, the MikroTik only does .12 miles and was just out of range for what we needed.

on a side note the Mikrotik works in the 60Ghz range so 2.4 and 5ghz wont interfere with the signal.

Mar 15, 2018
The garage is on a separate breaker panel/power source.

Do I need a router in the garage also?

How does this equipment list look;

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-docsis-3-0-cable-modem-black/4562300.p?skuId=4562300

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-wireless-ac-dual-band-wi-fi-router-black/5091000.p?skuId=5091000

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833168116 (x2)

Modem and router in house, one bridge in corner of house facing garage and one bridge at garage facing house. Good choices?

Where are you located? 200' is well under the max Ethernet distance. If you could safely run a small PVC pipe between the house and garage, just put a router or switch in the garage and call it a day. Of course, if the ground freezes part (or most) of the year, this may not be the best idea.

-Wolf sends

kanewolf

Judicious

If trenching a PVC conduit is extreme, direct burial ethernet cable is the other option. A sharpshooter spade creating a 6 inch deep groove is plenty of protection for most situations with direct burial ethernet.

kanewolf

Judicious
For the modem, verify that it is supported by your ISP. They should publish a list of approved modems. The AC1900 is a good router. It is the a newer version of the RT-AC68U router. You can get them used on E-Bay for about $50 - $70.
The Engenius adapters are good. Since you listed the 5Ghz units, you probably will want another device to provide 2.4Ghz WIFI in the garage. For streaming, get an ethernet switch and connect as much as possible via wired ethernet.

kanewolf

Judicious
MERGED QUESTION
Question from nitrostick : "wifi in detached garage"

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
yes in the house but the bridge will send the your network to the garage an all you will need is a switch for multiple devices or a access point for wireless devices, that is where the netgear comes in to give you 3 lan ports and wireless 2.4 and 5Ghz. It also wont interfere with the bridge since the MikroTik wireless wire runs off 60GHz.

kanewolf

Judicious

Do you have an outdoor link like this setup? Does heavy rain interfere? 60Ghz would be much more susceptible to signal loss because of rain.

kanewolf

Judicious

It is difficult to impossible to predict the success of this. The point to point implementations are guaranteed to provide a stable connection.

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012

we looked at the mikrotik unit but needed to go .18miles, the mikronet could only do .12 miles. We ended up using an Ignitenet unit that is 60Ghz that had a range of .5 miles. Havent had any issues with it and just last week had whiteout snow conditions and speeds did not drop at all. In fact its doing better then the Cisco Meraki MR84 bridge that it replaced and also outperforms another MR84 bridge that only goes 300feet.

Had we known now back when we got the meraki bridges we could have saved a bunch of money and had better speeds.

Mar 15, 2018
Problem solved!!!

Comcast(our internet provider) sent a tech out today as I have been having trouble with really slow internet speed, sometimes as slow as 2Mbps down but more often than not around 20Mbps. The tech replaced some splitters and suggested we needed a better modem/router that he could install and it would help with speed, I mention I was no longer wanting to rent and would purchase a modem and router myself. His suggestion on getting wifi to the garage was underground Ethernet cable.

So off to BestBuy my wife and I go! I purchase Arris SB6190 modem and the guy helping me suggested I try the Amplifi HD router system. He was skeptical it would work over that distance but said we could return it if it didn't work.

I installed the modem and router and checked my speed, 180Mbps down!!!! I installed the one mesh point in the kitchen nearest the garage and the other mesh on the wall nearest the kitchen, speed test showed 80Mbps down! I streamed some 4K content on the television while my wife was on facebook and for over two hours never a single hiccup, no buffering! I am super happy.

Nov 28, 2018

@faalin, I found this thread while looking for solutions to push my wireless to a shed that is ~400 ft from my modem. This shed is a metal building and my house is an old 4 brick thick farm house. My concern is that I'll suffer severe signal loss since there is no direct line of sight between the 2 points (only a few windows on the shed and none where I'd be able to place the second link). (also as a side note I only have a DSL connection available where I live limitted to 24 Mbps down/2 Mbps up & this is for a single wireless connected video feed)

I've considered bringing an ethernet cable out, but I'd been told not to run it beyond 100 meters. In your situation for extending your signal .5 miles, do you pass through multiple walls or was it designed for minimal interference?

faalin

Honorable
Feb 22, 2012
Both the Mikronet and Ignitenet units can be placed outside. For our application we have a small tripod with a 5 foot metal pole mounted on the roof of our main building and a 50' tall sand silo ( we do aluminum casting at the other building ) so they mostly have direct line of sight, they do get some tree limbs in the way but nothing to fully block the signal.

So in your case if you could mount them outside on the side of the buildings it would have a better chance then trying to pass the signal out a window.