Wii-playing Drug Cops Receive Slap on Wrist

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]nelson_nel[/nom]Wah! Sorry I'm not a pseudo-intellectual like yourself[/citation]
You are a pseudo-human being.

sudo Stay off of Toms.

G

Everyone's overlooking the most important thing- that the officers failed to notice that the guy's cam was on and recording. That's much more serious than playing a little Wii.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
next time you look at your checks and hate how much the state and feds remove, remember this case where we paid them to sit around and play video games and we paid for them to get retrained, which wont do shit.

G

They cops should be fired. The home owner certainly should sue. If there was any evidence found it will most likely be excluded as evidence at any trial. The problem is when you hire idiots and give them a gun and they stay idiots, only now they have a superiority complex. Bad police work is the reason why so many criminals go free in this country. Just follow the rules and do your job, its what EVERYONE ELSE DOES. No one forces a cop to join the dangerous profession, most do it because they WANT the gun and the power trip.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
Most people don't have jobs that can get them shot for writing a simple ticket you idiot.

These cops blew of some steam, and quit acting like you never screwed off at work. Mr. goody goody good shoes. They did exactly what most every one else does had a little fun at work.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
This is some bull shit ... I have known bosses that would fire employees for fuckigna round for an hour whil clocked in at work .. why the hell should these cops get any better treatment ?

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]I think a letter of retraining is sufficient. It's not like these guys were taking evidence (money or drugs) for themselves, or planting evidence, or any other form of abuse of authority. They were just screwing around when they should have been working. It's not like any of us has never done that.[/citation]
I've never screwed around at work unless i was on my lunch break and even then i didnt screw around for an hour

G

Are you people kidding me?

If ANY of you were caught by your bosses playing a Wii while on a meeting with a client, or doing some other task that is costing the company thousands of dollars would ANY of you still have a job the next day?

But they are cops, so incompetence and unprofessionalism are waved away as "blowing off steam". And then one of these imbeciles screws something up major and everyone wonders why.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Huh, I missed this story the first time, weird. However, this was an undercover drug raid, were the cops supposed to say "no thanks, I'd rather not play Wii bowling, can you instead lead me directly to you stash of illegal drugs *whisper*testing 1-2-3*whisper*"?I think its more ridiculous that the article states the police never recovered the guys computer that the camera was connected to. Just think of how many suspects might have been photographed on that thing. And if the police never confiscated the computer, where did the picture come from? Was the criminal allowed to post this thing to facebook or something? What kind of police are these?[/citation]

no they were not -layignthe game with teh busted criminal as part of teh "job" , theyw ere palyign teh game for an hour durring the hosue search that happened post-arrest.. meanign they were screwing around when they should have been getting thier job done

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]montezuma[/nom]That is all they should receive. People also need to remember that these letters will cause the officers problems if they seek employment elsewhere. I doubt there is anyone that would want their livelihood taken away due to some moments of bad judgment.Yes, the training hours will be paid; it is the law. Would YOU work for free? No, so do not try and pass your ridiculous "standards" onto others. Let me tell you a quick story.When I was in law enforcement(about two years ago), I was working a murder-suicide. The group of us was collecting evidence and gather our notes, when someone said something funny and we all chuckled. Remember now, officers deal with constantly stressful situations and living in an environment like that takes a toll rather quickly.Well, a reporter decided to break the containment line and observed us chuckling. It came out in the paper two days later and we were all given letters in our file and force into a "touchy-feely" class. It was all total bullshit and most of us relocated in different agencies or found different careers.Respect law enforcement officers, they do a rather hard job. When they are working for 24 and 48 hours straight on a case, do not shit on them for taking break. Yeah, the raid might have lasted nine hours, but I can bet you that they spent double or triple that preparing just prior.I bet that there are hardly any of you that could do that job a quarter as good as those officers.[/citation]

I'll not bitch when , i'm not the one paying them, if they want a break they can have it ater theya re finished working, i don't get paid for breaks at my job , so why sould my tax money pay for thier breaks ?

[citation][nom]SinisterMessiah[/nom]These people put their lives at risk everyday. I don't care if they decided to have a little fun in a world that is mostly danger for them. I don't care that it was on "taxpayers money" either, because law enforcement officers/first responders/etc. are underpaid to begin with. I'd rather my tax money goes towards their existence rather than have it get handed out to people who happen to be in a lower income
bracket because it's the "American" thing to do, that's for damn sure.[/citation]

maybe big city cops actulaly stick it up for the little guy , but out here in teh boonies the cops arn't so noble. nearly 80% our police department has been busted 3 times for corruption (each time that percentage was fired , and then the enxt line of dirty coppswould jsut fill teh palce up) hell one of the guys i went to high school with became a dirty cop. a friend of mine car broke down , so he walked to town , well he was a little intoxicated , (but his wife was driving ) my ex high school aquaintance , arrested him for being publicly intxicated , harasing him the whole time trying to provoke himm to fight by telling him they were gonna go get blow jobs from his wife to give her a lift, meanwhile my friend's wife and thier infant child were stuck on the side of the road for hours.. so don't give me shit about teh nobility of cops because i just haven't ever seen in in the places i live.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
So wait, let me get this straight. The raid took 9 hrs. they took a 1 hr break to bowl on the Wii. I guess I fail to see the problem. I am not a policemen, but I know it is an extremely stressful job at times. I hope they confiscated the Wii as well. since it was probably paid for with drug money anyway.

precariousgray

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]I think a letter of retraining is sufficient. It's not like these guys were taking evidence (money or drugs) for themselves, or planting evidence, or any other form of abuse of authority. They were just screwing around when they should have been working. It's not like any of us has never done that.[/citation]

But we aren't police officers.

Or does your unreasonable level of sympathy for public servants indicate that you are?

jakesbuddy

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
Since they already got paid for playing the Wii on taxpayers time, they should be forced to do the retraining on their own time, or be docked pay for the amount of time spent on the Wii. And to the people whining about how law-enforcement officers are underpaid, remember, they chose their careers, and let's not forget about the healthcare benefits and government pensions they recieve...Also, it kind of makes me wonder what they were doing in the other rooms in the house out of view of the camera, or on other busts in the past. Police officers should not need baby-sitters to make sure they are doing their job properly.

the associate

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
Fully agree with demonhorde665.

But as for big city cops sticking up for the little guy, so to much in Montreal.

My friend's bike was stolen from his bike shop and we found the bastard, so suggested I tackle the guy while my friend grabs the bike but he wanted to do it "the legal way". Anyway, cops came (2 cars 1 minivan) and stopped him, we showed many pics of the bike, some uptight female cop didnt believe us simply because of the new flat black paint job and different seat (actually it was because we were young). Other then that they couldnt figure out the rare similarities this entirely custom built Norco atomic had, with the same custom built 24" wheels, tires, front and rear suspension and so on. And here in Montreal it is illigal to have a bicycle without a serial number engraved into the frame, coincidentally enough, there were grinder marks where the serial number use to be, therefore it had to be confiscated either way. I guess that uptight bitch cop felt insulted towards the fact I knew something she didn't, because she took a step towards me, placed her hand on her gun and said, quote "Oh yeah? Under what article?"

Another time I was fined for skipping rocks in an unpopulated river, pulled over while biking because they wanted to search my 5-star binder claiming they were looking for someone who robed a pc store (closest pc store was a little over 5.5 miles away in the direction I was already going...) Even after bending the binder in half stating flexible laptops don't exist, they insisted I cooperate or they will take me in. My friend and I were almost run into on a bicycle path from an intercepting police car, they came out and yelled at us to stop, apparently we were biking suspiciously fast. My friend was pulled over with me for driving suspiciously legally for stopping to let an elderly woman cross the street, they took about 35 minutes of our lives just because my friend answered their stupid question somewhat sarcastically, no ticket, just a waste of time...my sister and a couple of her friends were fined 150 each for loitering at a subway station near a sign that said "waiting area", they were only there for 15 minutes.

The list goes on, but there not as stupid as the above. So yea, the cops here are paid by OUR tax dollars for what? To mostly harass people in between the ages of 14 and 35.
Oddly enough the only 1 time I ever witnessed a cop being completely respectful and polite (especially after catching someone doing something) was when my friend was caught doing 180kph in a 70 zone.

Im sure everyone has their odd ball story, but to many of my friends have more of their own than they should, it's disgusting.

I'd choose wii playing cops over these arrogant pricks any day, but I still wouldn't like the idea of them getting paid for their uber breaks, I don't see why it's such a big deal, cut off the hour they screwed around for, problem solved :S

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]I'll not bitch when , i'm not the one paying them, if they want a break they can have it ater theya re [/citation]

Is your story from the United States or it is from my country \10 000\ miles away? :)
I have yet to meet a cop that would do his job instead of harassing the innocent. These bastards here are more criminal than the criminals.

G

I think it's unfair to tar all cops with the same brush, yeah your going to come across individuals who seem incapable of showing respect towards anyone else but you'll find that in any profession.

Status
Not open for further replies.