Wii U Won't Launch Before April 2012

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lpedraja2002

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2007
I just hope that the Wii U has a good GPU installed. I don't like how the majority of consoles games look compared to my freaking old 8800gt. While I like to think I made the correct decision on not buying any of the current consoles I still miss the iconic Nintendo games, Zelda and Mario will always be a part of my gaming needs. Also, would love own a PS3 just to play Ratchet & Clank and Uncharted 1,2,3 :)

koolkat574

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
Every time that a new Zelda game gets released, the graphics and art style either disappoint me, or I love them. OoT/Majora's Mask= great. Wind Waker= kinda sucky (although novel). Twilight Princess=great. Skyward Sword= not as good as TP but better than WW?

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]Nintendo had several of the console FPS titles on it, but the Wiimote really wasn't good for aiming and the network wasn't as open as XBL/PSN. They also had No More Heroes and other mature weapon based games, the Wiimote just wasn't good at controlling them[/citation]
What makes it worse is the people that moan about the Wiimote being no good for control don't even bother to get a standard control pad to replace it, even though the Wii has backwards compatability for two previous generations of controller and has USB for new ones.

gamerduel22

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]I appreciate how you admit from the start you don't really know what you're talking about so we all know to disregard whatever follows. I mean, people just kind of blindly connect a console as only able to do one thing and stick with that. Nintendo had several of the console FPS titles on it, but the Wiimote really wasn't good for aiming and the network wasn't as open as XBL/PSN. They also had No More Heroes and other mature weapon based games, the Wiimote just wasn't good at controlling them. If you prefer more complicated games, they did have Monster Hunter Tri. Dragon Quest also seems to be coming on Nintendo systems a lot, and it's considered to be much more involved than Final Fantasy. Even Pokemon is pretty complex when you really involve yourself in it, with the statistics of random catch and breeding and strong vs weak/status effect matchups. I could also point out the many puzzle type games that a lot of people would consider shovelware because it's intellectual. I'm willing to bet Nintendo actually sells more intellectual games than XBox and PS3. A mature rating does not make it a mature game.Well, first it seems like you think Nintendo is making the right move. Everyone who wants a Wii already has one, so it's time to put out a new system and take it in a different direction. Wii U is not going the casual party system direction, it wants to be for hardcore solo type games. The controller resembles a tablet, but it isn't a tablet. It isn't going to have 3G or Android or anything, you aren't going to do tablet things outside of the house with it, so it doesn't matter if someone already has a tablet. It's still just a controller. I personally think they're making a mistake not enabling and selling extra controllers of this type, it could have some use in multiplayer games. If system price is a concern, they should eliminate the controller from the box completely and make all controllers separate so people have a choice on whether or not they want the fancy one. Forcing the controller on people is where Nintendo sort of slips up, no control device is ideal for all games and the specialized ones narrow that margin further.Ultimately, Nintendo needs to learn from their mistakes. A fall release will help because holidays always drive up sales of consoles. A better launch lineup from the very start is also key. Iwata, Mario is a launch title, get a Mario game on the system for launch, not in 6 months. Super Mario World sold SNES. Super Mario 64 sold n64. When did they think it was a good idea to change this? It has always been the key seller during launch and not doing so is lessening both the game and the system. If they want to reclaim the top spot, they also need to regain their 3rd party support. They can keep coasting by with their 1st party titles and an occasional diamond in the rough, but they won't be able to truly compete with Sony/MS if they can't get the same titles. What they need is go back to their roots in the SNES days if they want this direction to succeed.[/citation]

I think you've got it more right than most anyone else on this forum as far as overall perspective of the Wii and the Wii U. What I still think most of you seem to be missing in your knowledge base is that a big part of the idea behind the Wii U is that Nintendo is looking to continue the success of the Wii, but also to broaden appeal greatly to attract more hardcore gamers.

This includes HD graphics (finally), new controllers so that there will be more available styles of gameplay (and i believe better incorporation with certain games - like how it was said that some of the games released on the Wii just don't work well with the Wiimote), and MORE 3RD PARTY GAMES. Many developers are in support of the new system that would not work with the Wii system before, and are excited about the new possibilities of gameplay, so there will be more 3rd party support than ever before.

Games and developers that have never worked with Nintendo, or at least stopped with the Wii, will be opening a whole new wealth of gaming opportunities. Nintendo even already has a lot of exlusive releases lined up for the Wii U, a few designated for being ready at launch.

I think the new controller and its second screen will innovate gaming again the way the Wiimote did, but at the same time allow Wii U games to revert to a more traditional style of play with the dual grip controller and trigger buttons. The second screen could change up the way you game entirely, between offering gamers varying perspectives and assymetrical gameplay, among many other things. And of course the motion controllers will still be compatible as well. AND even collaborative compatibility between the new and old controllers where you'll be able to use them together in various ways. AND there will be the option to continue your console game away from the actual console if someone else is fighting you for TV control when you're on an all-day gaming marathon. Should offer a whole lot of versatility on the new platform. Even better? The new controllers will finally be rechargeable, catching up with PS3 and the 360 and saving all your batteries, hah.

Nintendo is promising a new Super Mario Bros and Super Smash Bros, but no word on if it will be at launch yet. I agree, having a Mario world game - preferably an entirely new one, honestly, not a re-take - would significantly help with launch. But I think the amazingly creative things they'll be doing with the new opportunities for gameplay, and overwhelming growth in 3rd party developers' support for the new console will make a big difference in the launch of the WiiU as compared to the 3DS which is an entirely different animal. I don't really feel you can compare the two much at all.

As for the controller being just like a tablet? (which various people on the forum mentioned) I think that's a pretty silly comparison to make, besides having a touch screen, it's an entirely different piece of technology. Take the perspective of the C.O.O at EA., Peter Moore:

"Moore, who has experience launching consoles from his days at Microsoft, says Nintendo was smart to incorporate a tablet into the console with the Wii U. 'No one thinks its going to replace an iPad 2 but it is playing into what a consumer feels comfortable with.'"

All things considered, before you go around trashing the Wii, or ESPECIALLY the WiiU, read around and do your homework first, guys!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS