Wikileaks Going Broke, Forced to Suspend Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

use china's great firewall to block wikilead if you dont want to know more about ture liar.

G

Hmmm... Strange, I did not realize that wikileaks cost that much money, seriously they are just supposed to diseminate information. How much does a basic website with a bunch of links to some torrents really cost..... must be administrative overhead.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]herb789[/nom]Hmmm... Strange, I did not realize that wikileaks cost that much money, seriously they are just supposed to diseminate information. How much does a basic website with a bunch of links to some torrents really cost..... must be administrative overhead.[/citation]

from my gathering, they dont post life threatening info, as it would get someone killed, so they have to pay people to go through the leaks, you dont want a volunteer doing that kind of work.

they also get ddosed by governments, political groups, people who want to ddos them for fun, and generally just a giant target.

G

Can't he just do what the Torrent sites do, change names and location and start up again?

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
[citation][nom]herb789[/nom]Hmmm... Strange, I did not realize that wikileaks cost that much money, seriously they are just supposed to diseminate information. How much does a basic website with a bunch of links to some torrents really cost..... must be administrative overhead.[/citation]
He can't just pay a small fee each month to have someone else host it. Anyone hosting that website would get attacked fast by governments and corporations. They have to provide and maintain the servers themselves, I'd imagine.

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
LOL, he is asking rich people for help? Much of the corruption of any government has ties to its desires to placate rich campaign donors, who donate money in exchange for favorable legislation. The idea that the rich will slit their own throats by helping a guy who claims to want government to operate entirely in the light of day is ludicrous.

Unless he's asking the Iranian government or something like that for help, asking anybody with wealth is a waste of time. They have almost as much to lose a politicians, because most politicians are in bed with the rich.

Wamphryi

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010
Its hardly a surprise that Wikileaks is in this position. You don't get to embarrass a large number of Governments including the US without some kind of response. They are not going to sit on their hands and do nothing. In some respects Assange is lucky. It was not that many years ago he would have simply disappeared.

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
...he would need about $3.5 million to keep WikiLeaks going into 2013....

If additional financing is not secured, WikiLeaks will have to shut down "by the turn of the new year."

WikiLeaks apparently receives only about $10,000 per month...

...Visa, MasterCard, PayPal and Western Union has reduced WikiLeaks revenue by as much as 95 percent.

$3,500,000 to operate for 24 months assuming they have the ability to operate until 2011.

That's about $146k per month for the 24 months.

Now assuming that they receive right around $10k a month after the 95% reduction, even if the above companies allowed funds to go through, Wikileaks would only be getting about $19.5k a month.

A difference of $126,500 per month.

I don't think Assange can do basic math.

G

@Iashabane

I Don't think you can do basic math. 5% of 19.5k is not 10k!!!!!

Oh the irony!

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
That's sad, just goes to show the level of corruption all over. Whistle blowers can't blow them anymore 'cos no place is ready to print or show it.
Mostly, the corporate world is shit scared of having it's vested interests in revolutions, wars, oil companies, exploration, famine stricken, earthquake ridden places exposed.
It's like the Big Brother watching over this guy. And finally they have a way to get him down... money cuts.
Yup, Money Talks and ...... Walks.

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
Bah, in our generation its highly unlikely it will all go to hell anyway (i mean climate change like in "the day after tomorrow" or a revolution in money or anything like that).

I guess we could try to fight the system, and get all those corrupted to jail or something like that, but its a bit difficult.

See, nowdays, beeing corrupt as a politician is hardly ever going to get them to jail, even if caught. Personally i think those people simply are not afraid enought of beeing caught.

mihaimm

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
[citation][nom]lashabane[/nom]Now assuming that they receive right around $10k a month after the 95% reduction, even if the above companies allowed funds to go through, Wikileaks would only be getting about $19.5k a month.[/citation]
x - x*95%=10k
x*(1-0.95)=10k
x=10k/0.05
x=200k
proving Assange can do basic math, but you can't...

CyberAngel

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
EVERY Government has spies and use diplomats to get information.
Big news!
Now that Wikileaks proved that "James Bond" really exists and CIA and KGB
and that even YOUR, where ever you live, Government is using illegal methods anyway
It doesn't matter if Wikileaks is shut down
Now even the most "patriots" and most trustful people realize that everything is a lie!
Big deal!
So it's like every country is the worst "commie" country even
leaving the former USSR KGB, Pol Pot Government, etc
looking like mother Theresa or Saint Peter walking on Water(gate)
Satan was given the pink slip long time ago by the "Beast" eg. "legal" Governments
That's the way it is boyz'n'girlz
Live with it!
I have to live with it in Finland which is statistically the least corrupted country
but there is no money involved in the "Good Brother System"
Finland is 100% corrupted - and without any money!!!
This is my last post about the subject
because I will now disappear and I mean it
I'd rather be a Muslim turned to Jew in Iran
than revealing the total corruption of Finland
Our legal system is the most flawed - not police,
but judges and "Liar! Liar!" men...
Check our recent history:

How they kicked out - totally illegally - Jorma Reini
He was an old politician accused of kicking the roof of a police car while handcuffed
If you are a ninja then try it !!

How Pekka Vennamo, leading Government post, was kicked out
because he sold shares to outsiders without a legal notice
He DID notice his bank (or whatever) who forgot to notice,
but did not get any punitive actions from Pankkitarkastusvirasto
(Bank Inspecting Agency)
AND he sold less than 12% of his shares to his wife and kids!!!

Also how Ulf Sundquist din't have to pay tax depth to fully extend
and the politician leaking this got fired (my hero!)
and how the last honest State Prosecutor complaint that he's being forced to do this
He also disappeared like I will do

"Finland" did kill a former Free Mason who revealed the system
and called at least priests to get out of it
Even the doctor said he was dead before the arranged "accident"

Bilderburgers (Illuminati?) arranged a secret meeting (no press allowed)
where foreigners agreed on Finland forced to join the EU
with the Elite (the Rich) and political leaders

These you can read from the news paper archives in Finnish language from
(some in Swedish) Helsingin Sanomat (Huvudstadsbladet)
How much is HIDDEN
but
who cares
every country is must worse than any Commies country ever was
That was what the Wikileaks was all about

RIP Wikileaks - you served well
Assangne is an example for us all:
Do as the Beast sayz or else!!!

The End of Days are here already...
When the oil reserves dry out then guess who will attack guess what small country
(like in 1967) blaming like Hitler/Luther: it's they fault!
AND you will all agree!

As a matter of fact, you The Reader of this
You already hate Israel, hate, Hate, HATE !!!
And you can't help hating Israel
rational person - yet irrational...

Simple11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2009
[citation][nom]CyberAngel[/nom]EVERY Government has spies and use diplomats to get information.Big news!Now that Wikileaks proved that "James Bond" really exists and CIA and KGBand that even YOUR, where ever you live, Government is using illegal methods anywayIt doesn't matter if Wikileaks is shut downNow even the most "patriots" and most trustful people realize that everything is a lie!Big deal!So it's like every country is the worst "commie" country evenleaving the former USSR KGB, Pol Pot Government, etclooking like mother Theresa or Saint Peter walking on Water(gate)Satan was given the pink slip long time ago by the "Beast" eg. "legal" GovernmentsThat's the way it is boyz'n'girlzLive with it!I have to live with it in Finland which is statistically the least corrupted countrybut there is no money involved in the "Good Brother System"Finland is 100% corrupted - and without any money!!!This is my last post about the subject because I will now disappear and I mean itI'd rather be a Muslim turned to Jew in Iran than revealing the total corruption of FinlandOur legal system is the most flawed - not police, but judges and "Liar! Liar!" men...Check our recent history:How they kicked out - totally illegally - Jorma ReiniHe was an old politician accused of kicking the roof of a police car while handcuffedIf you are a ninja then try it !!How Pekka Vennamo, leading Government post, was kicked out because he sold shares to outsiders without a legal noticeHe DID notice his bank (or whatever) who forgot to notice,but did not get any punitive actions from Pankkitarkastusvirasto(Bank Inspecting Agency)AND he sold less than 12% of his shares to his wife and kids!!!Also how Ulf Sundquist din't have to pay tax depth to fully extendand the politician leaking this got fired (my hero!)and how the last honest State Prosecutor complaint that he's being forced to do thisHe also disappeared like I will do"Finland" did kill a former Free Mason who revealed the systemand called at least priests to get out of itEven the doctor said he was dead before the arranged "accident"Bilderburgers (Illuminati?) arranged a secret meeting (no press allowed)where foreigners agreed on Finland forced to join the EUwith the Elite (the Rich) and political leadersThese you can read from the news paper archives in Finnish language from(some in Swedish) Helsingin Sanomat (Huvudstadsbladet)How much is HIDDENbut who caresevery country is must worse than any Commies country ever wasThat was what the Wikileaks was all aboutRIP Wikileaks - you served wellAssangne is an example for us all: Do as the Beast sayz or else!!!The End of Days are here already...When the oil reserves dry out then guess who will attack guess what small country(like in 1967) blaming like Hitler/Luther: it's they fault!AND you will all agree!As a matter of fact, you The Reader of thisYou already hate Israel, hate, Hate, HATE !!!And you can't help hating Israelrational person - yet irrational...[/citation]

When theres nothing left, they will finally allow Nickola Tesla's work to be patented. You realize he inveted a way of creating free energy from our planet from nothing. Government tore it down saying it would tear down global economy. Think about it! But we are being controlled from old Nazi's imported into our government from Operation Paperclip

gabre

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
[citation][nom]mihaimm[/nom]x - x*95%=10k x*(1-0.95)=10kx=10k/0.05x=200k proving Assange can do basic math, but you can't...[/citation]

Until 2013 must mean all of 2012...

The monthly requirements will be:
$3.5m / 12 months = $292k

5% of 292k:
292k * 0.05 = $14.6k

Now if we take the $10k instead, and assuming it was only 5%
$10k / 0.05 = $200k

$200k for 12 months:
$200k * 12 = $2.4m

So I would imagine that it was the 5% (95% cut) that was off.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
What I found interesting (but not surprising) about the leaked data is how few secrets and deceptions there really are. So US diplomats are friendly with a head of state but behind his back they say bad things about him. Wow, that's what kids do in high school.

As invaluable as Wikileaks is, I think Julian Assange is precisely the wrong person to be in charge of it. The man has ego/image issues and even if the sexual misconduct charges against him are false (and I wouldn't be surprised if they were true), he's too hungry for publicity and his operation costs too much money.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
They should sell their HQ. If they need $3.5 mill to get them to 2013 then money from sale will help them get to 2017 knowing that their HQ are valued at 10 mill euros or $14.4 mill. Plus Assanage should fire himself to cut costs and regain credibility Wikileaks had.

Status
Not open for further replies.