WikiLeaks Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nakal

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
When Wikileaks starts obtaining and publishing classified material and airing the dirty laundry of other countries like China, Russia, the Middle Eastern countries, the countries of the EU or even his home country of Australia etc... then I may believe that they are in it "for the good of man". Otherwise, Assange is nothing more than a man biased against the United States and looking for ways to discredit her and has no real care for the world per sé.

And if you don't think other countries around the world dont have secrets or dirty laundry, then you really are blind.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]the thing i like about this is if wikileaks wins, we all know how much assange likes talking to the world; he will be dumb enough to come and get it. so the time & the place is already determined all the cops/assasins in the world need to do now is play the waiting game.[/citation]
Really, why do you want this guy dead? Can you even articulate to me how he, in any way, impacted your freedom or quality of life negatively? If so, please stop spouting venom and explain how what he did was truly all bad.

I think you hate him because you were told to hate him and told he was a criminal. Free press is essential to free people--more essential than government secrecy. But you don't want freedom, you are giving into fear and hate--a tool for gaining power used by the GOP (and especially Tea Party) propaganda. It is the responsibility of the people to question their government--we seem to have forgotten that.

I miss the old Republican Party that came up with Ideas and Solutions instead of Contradiction and Nonsense. Seriously, what is a death panel? These things they use to argue don't even exist!

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Nakal[/nom]Otherwise, Assange is nothing more than a man biased against the United States and looking for ways to discredit her and has no real care for the world per sé..[/citation]

I believed Chinese speakers have said this also about Chinese dissidents. So I guess you agree with their language.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]col_krismiss[/nom]Maybe some people dont know this, since it isnt something thats detailed in his secret documents, but that IS how we are fighting it. Where I was in afghanistan, we built roads leading to places that didnt already have them, those roads lead to local businesses being opened because they finally had a way to efficiently ship their product. We assisted the locals in raising money to build a school in which to train teachers to go off and start other schools. One of the afghans I worked with that was in charge of these projects was once captured and held and tortured by the taliban for 3 years. So how are we to respond to terrorism like that? be friends with them? Until you actually go over there and actually SEE whats happening instead of rely on the news or on someone to finally reveal the governments secrets, you wont ever really KNOW. All the locals that I worked with actually said they liked and appreciated our help and protection.[/citation]
I'm glad to hear we're doing that much to help in Afghanistan. It's too bad the humanitarian side of the U.S.'s efforts aren't publicized. All I keep hearing about is new Marine tactics (similar to Surge) for gaining control over new areas. I hear about famines in Afghanistan and wonder why I don't hear about us dropping food. I really wish Fox News talked more about humanitarian work and less about who the bad guy is now.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]antixbaby[/nom]I looked it up in all possible descriptions and definitions. It's borderline, but I would say he was okay in using the term. You should watch Fox more, you might find yourself less biased and learn a few things that get edited out elsewhere. It worked for me.We already know people have very different opinions on Wikileaks. Why all the aggression?[/citation]
Why aggression on my part? I guess I'm frustrated with all the hate. There's too much of it in politics.

As far as terrorism--you have to use violence or at least fear (terror) as a means of coercion. Releasing documents with no definable goal of controlling people can hardly be called terrorism. I'll let you call it irresponsible journalism--but that's hardly terrorism.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
Assange shouldn't be nominated for a Peace Prize (although technically, it's Wikileaks?). He also shouldn't be drawn and quartered, as seems to be a common sentiment.

antixbaby

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
[citation][nom]aaron88_7[/nom]Thanks to our constitution, mobs of idiots with this type of mentality will never get their wishes of imprisoning those risking their lives for free speech and true government transparency.[/citation]

I find it sad and a bit scary that people think like you. It's not about free speech, for starters. That's what the constitution protects btw...so you are completely backwards on this. Secondly, you can't have a completely transparent governement or organization. Ever. It's a typical idealist fantasy. All fiction, no fact or logic. Hell, if simply YOUR life was transparent, you'd be screwed. Imagine if you were the federal governement,...!?!

antixbaby

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2007
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]Why aggression on my part? I guess I'm frustrated with all the hate. There's too much of it in politics.As far as terrorism--you have to use violence or at least fear (terror) as a means of coercion. Releasing documents with no definable goal of controlling people can hardly be called terrorism. I'll let you call it irresponsible journalism--but that's hardly terrorism.[/citation]

Cool. I agree with you. It's just so ill defined, I figured that certain secrets could increase acts of terror.

I haver mixed feelings about the whole thing. Maybe watching to many Bourne movies has me feeling we need to have some secrets. Hey, how far off from the truth can it be sometimes?

We had a good politician really embarassed over the leaks because of something he said behind closed doors. I think you need to be able to speak privately about certain things without fearing it to show up on the internet....especially with foreign affairs. Who Assange to decide what we hear and don't hear?

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Concerning the fact he stole the material... It's obviously illegal but very legit as he defended the democracy of the USA by showing corruption, torture and other things that violate the most important principles of rights.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]antixbaby[/nom]Who [is] Assange to decide what we hear and don't hear?[/citation]
He's not anyone. He should have used some discretion, but it was easier for him to not use any form of censure. He took the easy road because it's difficult to please everyone--he probably should've had his staff spend a month removing the most sensitive information that was most damaging to individuals that didn't deserve that stuff being heard.

G

This is as stupid as Obama getting one. The Nobel Peace Prize has lost all credibility. Maybe one day they will get back to giving it to people who stop conflict and actually create peace instead of just people leftists like.

flacoman3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]You made some very good points. However, "Black Ops" killing people doesn't make anyone safe. The only reason there are foreign terrorists is because we fight terror (which is an expression of desperation) with violence. If we fought it by building infrastructure and bringing food, education, & jobs to these regions (which is cheaper than war), then the only terrorists would be extreme political groups within our own nation--and right now there aren't any of those.[/citation]

You're right; the problem with those regions you're referring to is that they don't have enough trees there for everyone to hug. This drastic shortage of huggable trees is what is causing the hatred there to begin with. What Osama needs is love, not war! What were we even thinking!

utengineer

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
Was this even an official nomination? A member of Norwegian Parliament made the comment publicly. The NPP Committee is the entity that nominates, not politicians.

So, a convicted and Australian imprisoned ex-hacker, who is currently under charges of sexual offenses in another country, who is under house arrest waiting extradition.....has his website nominated for the NPP. Aside from being a clever and interesting whistle-blower, this guy is a d-bag, sprinkled with a little bit of @ssclown.

G

1) Assange has released only 1.5% of the leaks in two months because they take care to redact the releases to protext the innocent.
2) I hear a lot of american h!cks spouting hate and violence towards a man uncovering war crimes. No wonder the world hates americans...you guys are evil b@stards.
3)Your empire is coming down bunch of american @ssclowns!
4) We will leak until your empire is no more and America becomes a third world nation!

Status
Not open for further replies.