WikiLeaks Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wikileaks has done more for freedom of speech than anyone in the last 30 years. Transparency of governments is necessary for citizens to have power. The path to dictatorship is lined with secrecy.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]flacoman3[/nom]You're right; the problem with those regions you're referring to is that they don't have enough trees there for everyone to hug. This drastic shortage of huggable trees is what is causing the hatred there to begin with. What Osama needs is love, not war! What were we even thinking![/citation]
Do you honestly believe people would suicide bomb if they had something good to live for? I'm not talking about tree hugging B.S.--I'm talking about people not starving and having clean water. If you make sure everyone's belly is full and water is safe to drink, I bet you'll get less than 10% as many terrorists. Terrorism is the result of desperation. If you get rid of the desperate people, you get rid of terrorists.

Of course if you think Muslim is synonymous with terrorist and forgot that the word "terrorism" was invented before 9/11, then I can't really argue with you because you wouldn't hear me anyways.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]jj463rd[/nom]Adolf Hitler should be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize for his past reunification of the German people.[/citation]
That doesn't make any sense. It was Bismark who unified them and Gorbachev that reunified them. Are you one of those people who thinks Obama is Hitler too? Seriously, how is Hitler ever relevant to these arguements? Is Julian Assange Hitler? NO! Hitler is Hitler!

Diverse

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2008
@f-14

Instead of reading the Constitution, read about the history of the place that you live in. Those textbooks you've read in elementary, high school and in some cases, even college, just paint a rosy picture of a great nation. This is bound to happen when a single country tries to police the whole world, and in doing so, makes the situation even worse. If you want, I'll even name a few books that list the atrocities that all these so called righteous countries have committed.

The dumb thing is that media groups go around digging for stuff like this, and revealing it at the same time at the local, state, and national level, yet when confronted with this, we just say it's freedom of speech. But when someone does it on a global level, it's quite harmful. The hypocrisy in some of these statements is ridiculous.

alphadark

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
I used to think that the Nobel Peace Prize was something that you had to earned for making a positive change not something that is handed to you for violating laws and endangering people.

This guy is a freaking terrorist, he posts edited content to fit his own agenda. F&*^ this guy I hope the Russians or Mossad off this waste of flesh.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]alphadark[/nom]I used to think that the Nobel Peace Prize was something that you had to earned for making a positive change not something that is handed to you for violating laws and endangering people. This guy is a freaking terrorist, he posts edited content to fit his own agenda. F&*^ this guy I hope the Russians or Mossad off this waste of flesh.[/citation]
You have a lot of hate. Can you explain one way in which he commited an act of terrorism? Before you go sentencing a person to death, I think you should be able to explain why they deserve it. Or are you just repeating what some idiot on TV told you to think?

flacoman3

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]Do you honestly believe people would suicide bomb if they had something good to live for? I'm not talking about tree hugging B.S.--I'm talking about people not starving and having clean water. If you make sure everyone's belly is full and water is safe to drink, I bet you'll get less than 10% as many terrorists. Terrorism is the result of desperation. If you get rid of the desperate people, you get rid of terrorists.Of course if you think Muslim is synonymous with terrorist and forgot that the word "terrorism" was invented before 9/11, then I can't really argue with you because you wouldn't hear me anyways.[/citation]

I see where you're coming from, but you are underestimating the role of religious fervor in terrorism. These people kill for their moral/religious reasons and they cannot be persuaded by any rational argument because they see us as evil, whether or not their stomach is full or empty. They bomb not because they have nothing to live for - they bomb because they believe they believe they have something worth dying for, and those are two completely different things.

The hungry people are the ones that live their lives peacefully while extremists use and extort them to hide. Feeding and helping these people (which America does do, despite what the media might cover) only insults extremists. By no means am I saying that we should stop feeding the hungry in order to stop prodding terrorists, but we also can't back down from terrorists. It's not a black and white decision whether to help the innocent or fight a war. Help who you can, and fight who you must.

scooterboi

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
WE ARE AMERICAN!! WE CAN DO NO WRONG!!

- Iraq have a WMD! so we invade em...... wha? no wmd? nvm, we do it to liberate their people
- LIUXIABAO is an HERO!!! JULIAN ASSANGE is an assh*le. no arguing please.
- bin laden is funded by the SAUDIs!!! so we invade AFGHANISTAN!!!!
- remember anna politkovskaya? she is also an hero for leaking russian dirty secret!!!! but julian last name is ASSH*LE
- myanmar have an hero!! she is AUNG SAN SUU KYI!!! but julian still an assh*le

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Why am I not surprised by this? The Nobel peace prizes credibility went out the window when it gave Obama the award basically due to the fact that he was the first black president in the united states.

I have nothing against Obama, but let's be real that doesn't justify a Nobel peace prize. On a side note Al Gore didn't deserve one either for that matter just because of his controversial global warming theory or hypothesis whichever you want to call it.

Someone more deserving of the Nobel peace prize is Bill Gates for his philanthropy efforts in recent years or perhaps his wife that got him interested in that. Someone like Steven Hawking is more deserving than Al Gore or Obama as well.

alphadark

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]You have a lot of hate. Can you explain one way in which he commited an act of terrorism? Before you go sentencing a person to death, I think you should be able to explain why they deserve it. Or are you just repeating what some idiot on TV told you to think?[/citation]

He is just as bad as the media and the idiots on TV. The heavily edited gun camera footage he released without releasing the unedited is proof he has an agenda.

Please explain what the goal of releasing diplomatic cables has been? What great revelation came of it? He should of kept to releasing shit about corrupt corporations and other shady crap not screw with world diplomacy.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]flacoman3[/nom]I see where you're coming from, but you are underestimating the role of religious fervor in terrorism. These people kill for their moral/religious reasons and they cannot be persuaded by any rational argument because they see us as evil, whether or not their stomach is full or empty. They bomb not because they have nothing to live for - they bomb because they believe they believe they have something worth dying for, and those are two completely different things.The hungry people are the ones that live their lives peacefully while extremists use and extort them to hide. Feeding and helping these people (which America does do, despite what the media might cover) only insults extremists. By no means am I saying that we should stop feeding the hungry in order to stop prodding terrorists, but we also can't back down from terrorists. It's not a black and white decision whether to help the innocent or fight a war. Help who you can, and fight who you must.[/citation]
Fight who you must? You mean like that war in Iraq? Seems to me like America's into making enemies for no reason at all--that is unless you can justify why we're fighting in Iraq.

I understand that feeding and helping people insults extremists, but where do you think extremists recruit from? They find people who lost their homes or family. People who are scared and hungry and desperate. If we cut their recruits by reducing desperate people--if we don't start wars for the sake of killing people, then maybe there will be less people will think Americans are evil (although according to this message board, we sure are hateful). Less who think killing other people is worth dying for.

Where do you think extremists come from? They come from people who have lived through traumatic events.

Swindez95

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
I think he deserves it. Im not an anarchist but various govt's need to be exposed for what they are. I am a US citizen and for one believe our govt needs huge reform, its no longer a democracy, the govt is telling us what is and isnt good for us and is full of money hungry greedy pricks. Sorry but this whole spread democracy thing is a load of BS. You can't just simply go to another allied country or otherwise and try to change people who have lived under a certain rules for centuries, it just doesnt work like that and I do not support this war we have involved ourself in. Sure trying to find Osama is ok, I understand that, just thinking about 9/11 makes me want to join the armed forces but its turned around from trying to stop the taliban to spreading our ways to people who do not want them in the first place, do your business and get the F*** out I say. I commend Mr. Assange for exposing some of the horrible things my govt and other govts have done, its about time someone makes these things known to keep the govts in check because we the people sure as hell arent anymore.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
So since when was releasing documents with little credibility and destabalizing the current peaceful environment resulting in more violent acts to erupt make you worthy of a peace prize? I guess its like how launching hundreds of rockets into a country unprovoked makes you worthy of it, or being elected President and politically dividing a country does it, or how promoting a fabrication of data and villifying all those who contradict it earns you the prize.

I think the Nobel Committee should rename the prize.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
I get the feeling that a lot of the people against assange believes the US army is helping afghanistan/iraq by killing their citizens. Perhaps fox can enlighten us with the civilian/terrorist kill rate of their cruise missiles?

All the '-gate' scandals of past decades has provided important facts that every american should know about their government's operations. but all of them put together barely amounts to a drop in the huge ocean of secrets. Proper democracy cannot be based on hiding all the facts from the people they are responsible to.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]alphadark[/nom]He is just as bad as the media and the idiots on TV. The heavily edited gun camera footage he released without releasing the unedited is proof he has an agenda.Please explain what the goal of releasing diplomatic cables has been? What great revelation came of it? He should of kept to releasing shit about corrupt corporations and other shady crap not screw with world diplomacy.[/citation]
Does that mean you're calling the media TERRORISTS? I'm missing your point, since your goal was to explain how Julian Assange was a terrorist. Are you saying all the media people on TV should be executed too if they have an agenda? What point are you trying to make?

col_krismiss

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[quoteI understand that feeding and helping people insults extremists, but where do you think extremists recruit from? They find people who lost their homes or family. People who are scared and hungry and desperate. If we cut their recruits by reducing desperate people--if we don't start wars for the sake of killing people, then maybe there will be less people will think Americans are evil (although according to this message board, we sure are hateful). Less who think killing other people is worth dying for.

Where do you think extremists come from? They come from people who have lived through traumatic events.][/quote]

What evidence do you have of any of that? The extremists of Al Qaeda started from a very wealthy man, and partially funded by a country. And the taliban recruit with threats of violence. I met a man who was "recruited", he had money, but the Taliban threatened his family if he would not work for them. The idea that we went over there just to kill people is ridiculous.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]col_krismiss[/nom]The idea that we went over there just to kill people is ridiculous.[/citation]Okay, why did we go to Iraq then? I know my roommate joined the marine infantry specifically to go to the middle east and kill some people.

Yeah--the story behind Osama Bin Laden and those like him is a lot more complicated and requires a deeper explanation to be understood and I'll admit I don't understand it. There are deeper political motivations behind his efforts. But he's not the one blowing himself up.

You seem to confuse the Taliban and Al Qaeda--one is a government/political group with a bad choice in friends. The other is a terrorist group. Lots of government groups threaten people with violence. Have you heard of the soviet union? That's terrible, but I don't know if that makes it a terrorist group necessarily. The people Al Qaeda has blowing themselves up are a different sort than the guys you're talking about that have money. And cutting down on desperate people will cut down on the number of people willing to blow themselves up. If you can't see that, then you're just in denial.

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]i'm sorry you can not tell the difference between a RPG and enemies of coalition forces engaging with US american AH-64 and iraqi-american news reporters standing around in the middle of the enemy herd watching.i'm more sorry that you were never taught the laws of the united states and failed your history class in regards to knowing the constitution of the united states which happened to be written in the middle of a revolutionary war by the people fighting it.go read article 8 of the US constitution. not just the parts you want to believe, but the whole thing.you will only get an A+ if you can cite which of the 4 of 11 sections do not apply to every one connected to these leaked documentsyou will get extra credit if you can tell me which section in which encryption act also applies to every one who even reads these documents.it's covered ALL OF IT. people alot smarter then you or me and all of tom's hardware put together thought of and figured out how to deal EXACTLY with this particular problem long before it even happened. even your liberal dog boy 'slippery willy' clinton had a hand in crafting the laws that cover this '96 & '97.[/citation]
1 - as far as i know constitution have only 7 articles and was not created during war so you should probably spent more time studying.
2 - it apply only to US citizens

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]Littlebomb[/nom]Wikileaks has done more for freedom of speech than anyone in the last 30 years. Transparency of governments is necessary for citizens to have power. The path to dictatorship is lined with secrecy.[/citation]

But what about the people who don't like to think and lack the interest to have any freedom? Seem to be many of those here judging by the posts.

Sure its the short term embarrassment that make some narrow minded scream against the leaks but what about it when the more open minded start to look at the bigger picture like the Nobel Commite did.

Closed meetings, secret meeting ect are a good foundation to corruption! Ask yourself - Do you want a corrupt world?

Status
Not open for further replies.