WikiLeaks Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

erhardm

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Can I ask you a question?
Liu Xiaobo was doing something legal in China? No! Why? Because those laws were used to put such persons in prison. My next question: Was it fair for Liu Xiaobo to be in prison? I doubt.
Was Nelson Mandela doing something legal? Well, the law didn't let political opponents, so..the same answer: No! Was it fair to Nelson Mandela to be in prison and arrested at home? I doubt.
What about Wikileaks? Is it legal what they're doing? Well, in US is not legal. But why? Is it fair for Julian to be in prison for telling the truth? Even if is a harsh truth? Even if (obvious) for US is illegal? Btw about Egipt, is a revolution legal? No! That's why it's called revolution! The question about all these things should not be: Is it legal?..it should be: Is it fair? Is it justice?

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Its good that he released those documents. Its better if US citizens start noticing how not pretty the US is. No wait, half the people still think the US is perfect and not corrupt...

Fox brainwashed so many people by saying hes a terrorist, and now the people dont even want to take a peak at how bad the US has been behaving.

juliom

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Seek professional help ASAP.[/citation]

Why? For showing the american people what they don't want to see? Why the hell do you think that you're the prime target of terrorism? Why the hell do you "support" freedom and then you support dictators like Mubarak? Remove your eye patches, you're definitly not the land of the free nor the home of the brave.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
I for one believe that transparency is a worthy ideal. And unfortunately the only way to go about it is global transparency. It is terrible that the process may involve hugely negative events, but has anything worth while ever been easy. I for one think that if we can establish world peace before finding alien life. On a side note. We are going to find alien life and it will bring about world peace. Deal with it! lol

tranzparentl

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Jullian Assange is my hero and he deserves the prize. Why are there so many people that stand by our government no matter what the facts are and no matter how wrong they are.

WikiLeaks is essential to showing the world the the USA is the biggest bully on the planet and have ways of coercing any other country to bend to their will.

AGPC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
PEACE??!?!? HES MADE ANYTHING BUT PEACE!!! TROUBLE WITH USA AND SWDEEN.
Why should he get to put OUR Gov files on the net? if he did that to russia he would be MURRDERD!!!

AGPC

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
[citation][nom]tranzparentl[/nom]Jullian Assange is my hero and he deserves the prize. Why are there so many people that stand by our government no matter what the facts are and no matter how wrong they are.WikiLeaks is essential to showing the world the the USA is the biggest bully on the planet and have ways of coercing any other country to bend to their will.[/citation]
Get a life....

mrmotion

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2009
The documents were classified. The man published them. We want to give him a peace prize? Thats BS! Documents are classified for a reason and exposing them to the public puts peoples lives at risk. Give a guy a nobel peace prize for potential exposing other people to persecution and death, Yeah that has peace written all over it.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]why does he deserve to be in prison exactly cirdecus... do tell ?if you say "treason" like 90% of fox news morons i'll laugh uncontrolably as treason can only be commited if you are a citizen of said country, it appear all he is doign is publishing documents which if you are a proponent of open government and given sunshine laws in the us most of this SHOULD be open docs to begin with if you call exposing war crimes, torture, and corruption is wrong... well i'd say wouldn't it be great if there wasn't anythign to expose, if there were no corruption due to fear of everythign being publically available, about people not being stripped of human rights simply on suspition and requring a degree of proof and a conviction before harsh interigation? or maybe a war where you look before you shoot and don't literally rape a populice? or am i describing a world you don't want to live in?[/citation]

Fully agreed.

I can't believe that people on here want this guy in prison. He released information that never should have been hid from the public to begin with. Why is it that people are going back to the mentality of Governments ruling the people instead of People ruling the government?

To me, if we keep this up we'll all be slaves again and start believing in Pharaoh's again. These governments have been doing wrong, they need to be punished for such actions, so he did what was right by releasing this information to the public.

col_krismiss

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
[citation][nom]dalauder[/nom]Okay, why did we go to Iraq then? I know my roommate joined the marine infantry specifically to go to the middle east and kill some people.Yeah--the story behind Osama Bin Laden and those like him is a lot more complicated and requires a deeper explanation to be understood and I'll admit I don't understand it. There are deeper political motivations behind his efforts. But he's not the one blowing himself up.You seem to confuse the Taliban and Al Qaeda--one is a government/political group with a bad choice in friends. The other is a terrorist group. Lots of government groups threaten people with violence. Have you heard of the soviet union? That's terrible, but I don't know if that makes it a terrorist group necessarily. The people Al Qaeda has blowing themselves up are a different sort than the guys you're talking about that have money. And cutting down on desperate people will cut down on the number of people willing to blow themselves up. If you can't see that, then you're just in denial.[/citation]

I honestly cant comment on Iraq since I havnt been there myself. And yes some young people join the services on a whim and want to be war heroes and all that, but thats hardly proof thats why we went there.

I wasnt confusing them at all, I know the difference, I was providing examples for both. I understand that cutting down on the hungry and poor would give them less people to strap bombs for themselves. The problem is, they know that too. As I stated above, we have huge humanitarian projects going on over there and the Taliban attack over it. So violence is, unfortunately, needed.

Back on subject, I dont like what he did at all, but I dont think he should necessarily go to prison or be killed over it. I have seen some of the documents released and it contains stuff like convoy operations and chopper flights and things. While those have been changed im sure, those are things that have to be considered when talking about this transparent government crap. These are the secrets I care about as they directly affect the lives of soldiers at no benefit to anyone but the enemy.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Wow. Lots of haters using a relatively anodyne article to express their personnal agendas. Obama? Hitler? What the hell do they have to do with this? Go start a blog and stop flooding forums with your hate.

As for Assange, you have to give some credit to the man. Sure, he probably does it for his personnal interests (in his case, that would be getting laid), but he still does it and he's ready to face the consequences.

MU_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2006
[citation][nom]dravis12[/nom]As if we needed more proof that the Nobel Peace Prize is completely irrelevant.[/citation]

The Nobel Peace Prize has devolved into a little more than a list of who's popular among a bunch of America-bashing, left-wing Europeans. Look at who they've given it to:

- Amnesty International
- Yasser Arafat
- The United Nations (twice)
- Kofi Annan
- Jimmy Carter
- International Panel on Climate Change
- Mohammed ElBaradei (who is associated with the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt)
- Al Gore
- Barack Obama

Julian Assange would fit in perfectly with that crowd...

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]snoogins[/nom]I don't necessarily believe in his tactics, but a bit more transparency could go a long way with showing the the citizens of the US whats going on. Not 100%, but more than we had - especially with the lackluster excuse to invade Iraq for WMDs.[/citation]
Maybe he does not deserve the Nobel Peace Prize, or maybe his selection for it is questionable, however, you cite exactly why we need organizations like WikiLeaks.

darknexus

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Try reading "The Light of Other Days" by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter. Probably a pretty accurate picture of what would happen if we had complete transparency in life. I think that, while it would definitely be a difficult transition for those of us who are old enough to remember the way things were before, it would ultimately make things better for our future generations. This IS the purpose of our existence in a so-called civilized society, is it not?

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]col_krismiss[/nom]I honestly cant comment on Iraq since I havnt been there myself. And yes some young people join the services on a whim and want to be war heroes and all that, but thats hardly proof thats why we went there. I wasnt confusing them at all, I know the difference, I was providing examples for both. I understand that cutting down on the hungry and poor would give them less people to strap bombs for themselves. The problem is, they know that too. As I stated above, we have huge humanitarian projects going on over there and the Taliban attack over it. So violence is, unfortunately, needed. Back on subject, I dont like what he did at all, but I dont think he should necessarily go to prison or be killed over it. I have seen some of the documents released and it contains stuff like convoy operations and chopper flights and things. While those have been changed im sure, those are things that have to be considered when talking about this transparent government crap. These are the secrets I care about as they directly affect the lives of soldiers at no benefit to anyone but the enemy.[/citation]

agree on the last part, i believe in transparent government, but if it involves war or tactiacl plans it should be kept secret... until after its executed and either a preset period of time has passed providing the conflict is still going or once the conflict ends this should be made public. obviously if we are in a conflict you can't go tell the other party where we are striking and the battleplan before hand ... but as its government for the peopel by the peopel it should report BACK to the people how it acted on our behalf

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]g00fysmiley[/nom]if you call exposing war crimes, torture, and corruption is wrong... well i'd say wouldn't it be great if there wasn't anythign to expose, if there were no corruption due to fear of everythign being publically available, about people not being stripped of human rights simply on suspition and requring a degree of proof and a conviction before harsh interigation? or maybe a war where you look before you shoot and don't literally rape a populice? or am i describing a world you don't want to live in?[/citation]

The classified material that he received from Manning was stolen and posted/distributed without the permission of the legal owner...the US government. Manning is the one who created an act of treason and who put his neck on the line, but the last I read Assage has done little to help his defense despite his promises to do such.

Regarding war, there are always civilian casualties. The problem is the the number of civilians accidentally killed by the US is very small compared to those killed by terrorist, but statistically a civilian death is a civilian death regardless of who did the killing. Look at the war realistically, Al Queda has killed far more civilians than the US, and they do it with intent. It is a lot like the Vietnam war...we read of My Lai, but are not exposed to the atrocities of the VC against civilians.

If people want to focus on corruption, then bear down on the US health insurance industry...that is where you will find the "death squads" who refuse to provide care for any number of reasons thus condemning one to death, and "rape" of the populace by taking their money without providing any medical services per se. Not to mention that they are corrupt for the simple reason that their lobbyist have insured that anti-monopoly laws do not apply to them by paying off members of Congress. Time to choose some real priorities.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
^ definatly, insurance is all a sham to, i was just adressing the topic of the article, i say investigate any and all corporate involvment in legeslatural proceedings... there are alot of problems in government, i'd love to see everythign open so the people really can see that most congressmen get handed a bill by a lobbyist then try to get it rubber stamped through.. look a tthe "healthcare reform bill" where there was so much pork and stuff it was rediculous and out highly paid elected officials were even admitting they didn't read it becasue it was too long... imo that means you don't want to do your job you were elected for and thus should be replaced

jodrummersh

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
The nominees are NOT chosen by the Norwegian Nobel Committee...they are chosen by a select group of people, including professors and "regualr joe's" as well. Tom, you gotta get your shit together!

Status
Not open for further replies.