WikiLeaks Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
If you don't support a certain amount of openness in governments then you are confusing national interest with the interests of the political elite. Ever wonder how it is that so much aid money gets siphoned off corrupt politicians in developing countries or how the north korean people could possibly love their "glorious leader"? - Without transparency you're only believing what the political elite want, to the detriment of the people and the nation. You may think yourself a patriot, but the opposite is true. You might think Assange is anti-American or anti-western, but his ideas seem more in tune with America's "founding fathers" than anyone who has occupied the oval office in living memory. Perhaps you would prefer living in "the best" Korea?

hanrak

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
Im sick and tired of people randomly bashing the USA. They give the biggest hand outs of aid to third world and desperate countries PERIOD. Billions verging and possibly trillions of dollars over the years to help poorer nations and people dying. They have also as far as im aware attacked viscous, dangerous and dictated countries. Its not like they have ever gone to a small country like the maldives and said yeah we will take your country and thats it.

For fook sake people outside of America stop jumping on the band wagon, american hating is old and boring now.

hanrak

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
As for you Americans you guys need to get a grip, you used to be solid and compact as a people, a movement. Believe it or not people still look up to you guys but you have to stop your IN fighting and get your house in order because it is damaging you.

Dont loose confidence in yourselves as a nation and a people.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]If you don't support a certain amount of openness in governments then you are confusing national interest with the interests of the political elite. Ever wonder how it is that so much aid money gets siphoned off corrupt politicians in developing countries or how the north korean people could possibly love their "glorious leader"?[/citation]

Yea it is called brainwashing via fear and intimidation. People in North Korea see nothing of the outside world and are turned into little automatons. This is brainwashing at the extreme end, but it also takes place in America with our consumer culture--there are many who believe that happiness is measured by how much you own.

[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom] Without transparency you're only believing what the political elite want, to the detriment of the people and the nation. You may think yourself a patriot, but the opposite is true. You might think Assange is anti-American or anti-western, but his ideas seem more in tune with America's "founding fathers" than anyone who has occupied the oval office in living memory. Perhaps you would prefer living in "the best" Korea?[/citation]

Not sure who you are talking to here, but there are some things that should not be transparent. If it was a "kind" world then yes, but there are too many evil forces out there who would use any openness by the US government as a means of attack against US citizens. Don't assume that because one does not like Assange that he/she is a patriot. His behavior has no association with our founding fathers. Franklin, Adams, and the rest had it all over Assange. Assange has done nothing original or even revolutionary. If he was a true revolutionary he would be on the front lines somewhere. Instead, he uses people as a means to bolster his ego and the worlds' perception of him. It is insulting to compare him to the likes of Franklin.

Assange is a nobody who made fame via the Internet. He has done nothing to make the world a better place, feeds off of others, and is in it purely for egotistically reasons alone.

North Korea? Who in the world would want to live there? They don't even have toilets, let alone toilet paper. I will stay in America, where I can bash losers like Assange on public forums.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]hanrak[/nom]As for you Americans you guys need to get a grip, you used to be solid and compact as a people, a movement. Believe it or not people still look up to you guys but you have to stop your IN fighting and get your house in order because it is damaging you. Dont loose confidence in yourselves as a nation and a people.[/citation]

We got a grip. We walk tall, and carry a big stick.

You call it in-fighting, we call it democracy at work. The right hates the left, and the left hates the right. Then you have Beck and Rush. Things get ugly sometimes, but all is good. We have Hollywood, freedom, lots of open space, and the ability to disappear from public if need be.

hanrak

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]We got a grip. We walk tall, and carry a big stick. You call it in-fighting, we call it democracy at work. The right hates the left, and the left hates the right. Then you have Beck and Rush. Things get ugly sometimes, but all is good. We have Hollywood, freedom, lots of open space, and the ability to disappear from public if need be.[/citation]

Its difficult for me to comprehend the point of your post because it smacks of sarcasm ( which in itself is a fine thing) but it is also littered with pinches of truth. You quoted my post which is fine, its just that im not entirely sure what your getting at.

You Americans have never been good at sarcasm though, but to be fair you are getting better!

By the way im from the UK, we invented democracy ;)

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]hanrak[/nom]By the way im from the UK, we invented democracy[/citation]

Maybe so, but it was US yanks that saved yer arse in WWII, and put in place a democracy that is the model of the world.

The sarcasm can't be too bad, if you don't know if it be sarcasm, the truth, or both.

G

1) Assange did not rape anyone, the condom broke and he is wanted for questioning. He is not charged with anything and american hicks should research before opening there fat mouths!

2) Leaking documents that show crimes and war crimes is not a crime no matter how classified the documents are. If you see a crime and say nothing, you are responsible as well.

3) Many people here seem to be unaware that whistleblowing when exposing crimes is legal and a civic duty.

4) Julian Assange is a journalist since he has been in the guild since 1994 and wikileaks is registered non-profit news agency. They published leaked material like journalists have done for a hundred years.

5) Those wishing death on him or imprisonment, you are anti-american aholes and should move to China or Iran.

6) The reason the documents were leaked is because government classifies everything in order to protect itself from the crimes they commit.

7) America is involved in two illegal wars and every death, no matter who commits it, is the responsibility of the US. Look up international laws bunch of dumb american hicks!

8) we will leak until the empire crumbles!

hanrak

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]Maybe so, but it was US yanks that saved yer arse in WWII, and put in place a democracy that is the model of the world.The sarcasm can't be too bad, if you don't know if it be sarcasm, the truth, or both.[/citation]

This tickles me,i just had a feeling you would mention this about the second world war. Your either very young or from the far south of America. I recognise it as an attempt at sarcasm but it was poor, which I already stated. I'm beginning to question your grasp of English as well. Does anyone actually from America call the selves the US yanks? I smell troll.

G

now a days noble peace prize losses its worthiness due to these like unacceptable activities

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]col_krismiss[/nom]As I stated above, we have huge humanitarian projects going on over there and the Taliban attack over it. So violence is, unfortunately, needed. Back on subject, I dont like what he did at all, but I dont think he should necessarily go to prison or be killed over it. I have seen some of the documents released and it contains stuff like convoy operations and chopper flights and things. While those have been changed im sure, those are things that have to be considered when talking about this transparent government crap. These are the secrets I care about as they directly affect the lives of soldiers at no benefit to anyone but the enemy.[/citation]
Thank you for having an honestly thought out opinion. I respect it--even though I disagree. I'm just glad that you are different from the other people who call for Assange to be drawn and quartered--most of whom haven't read any of the documents. And you're absolutely right that those things shouldn't have been leaked. But given the choice between none and all--I prefer all the documents being leaked because of points mentioned above.

Many Americans have come to blindly spurt propaganda about the infallibility of the plan laid out by those who developed our constitution and act like questioning our government is unpatriotic--which, of course, is exactly the opposite. Our government needs to be questioned and held accountable. And whatever opinion you hold of the government after questioning it is up to you.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]hanrak[/nom]Im sick and tired of people randomly bashing the USA. They give the biggest hand outs of aid to third world and desperate countries PERIOD. Billions verging and possibly trillions of dollars over the years to help poorer nations and people dying. They have also as far as im aware attacked viscous, dangerous and dictated countries. Its not like they have ever gone to a small country like the maldives and said yeah we will take your country and thats it. For fook sake people outside of America stop jumping on the band wagon, american hating is old and boring now.[/citation]
It's not random USA bashing. Have you seen those ads on TV about doing things to stop Teen Smoking or some other things about Clean Energy? Then at the end it says it's by a Tobacco Company or an Oil Company. A lot of these handouts are to counter all of the screwed up stuff the U.S. does in corporate interests. If Cheney wasn't tied with Halliburton, I bet you Iraq never would've been invaded.

Who do you think put all these dictators in power? The Taliban? Saddam? It's just the U.S. changing its mind and cleaning up messes it made in the first place. An objective viewer could see the U.S. as the dangerous country. I mean, we told Saddam, "Do this stuff or we'll attack." He did everything. And then we attacked anyways with ABSOLUTELY NO JUSTIFICATION. That sounds dangerous to me. And to the U.S.--Iraq IS a small nation that we took AND THAT's IT.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]hanrak[/nom]As for you Americans you guys need to get a grip, you used to be solid and compact as a people, a movement. Believe it or not people still look up to you guys but you have to stop your IN fighting and get your house in order because it is damaging you. Dont loose confidence in yourselves as a nation and a people.[/citation]
I'm an American and I've lost confidence in ourselves. We're a bunch of idiots with leaders busy with infighting instead of finding solutions to very obvious problems. Filibustering? Seriously, WTF?

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]If it was a "kind" world then yes, but there are too many evil forces out there who would use any openness by the US government as a means of attack against US citizens.[/citation]
You're not that special. EVIL is not out to get YOU. You are victim of propaganda. These terrorists are people with an agenda that they have for a reason. They are irrational and dangerous, but this whole self-centered USA thing where we start pointing our fingers and calling things evil is completely out of control.

dalauder

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
[citation][nom]Yoder54[/nom]We got a grip. We walk tall, and carry a big stick. You call it in-fighting, we call it democracy at work. The right hates the left, and the left hates the right. Then you have Beck and Rush. Things get ugly sometimes, but all is good. We have Hollywood, freedom, lots of open space, and the ability to disappear from public if need be.[/citation]
Democracy in America is broken! The Right and the Left are busy fighting for power. Who's left doing the governing? The two party system robs the people of representatives actually focussed on representing us. You say it's all good, but you'll be telling your grandkids about when the U.S. used to be on top of the world if you're too scared to change for the better.

johnsmithhatesVLC

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
[citation][nom]zachary k[/nom]there are many others that deserve this more than that Dbag. twitter for helping to organize the revolution in Egypt, the dude who came up with the idea at google to help KEEP the tweets and information flowing out of Egypt despite 100% of the internet being down. and that was just in the last 2 weeks. this guy is an Australian living in Europe who has no right to be "protecting" my democracy. he just wants to see the American government suffer.[/citation]
Are you serious? Twitter should be nominated? You have got to be kidding me. Twitter was USELESS until ONE incident that lasted for a COUPLE DAYS with ONLY Egypt. All it did was let people blog their boring life or advertise which nobody cares about. The American government is not perfect but it's evil lies and deceptions should be brought to light. Ignorance is not a bliss. People should know about the leaked information.

asheesh1_2000

Distinguished
May 13, 2010
[citation][nom]NightLight[/nom]sigh... they give those things away with a box of cereal these days....[/citation][citation][nom]Cirdecus[/nom]First of all, i'm not on the fox news bandwagon. Secondly, the documents were stolen, which is a crime. Believe it or not, in order for a government to function, especially in terms of national security and wartime, it cannot be 100% transparent to the entire world. This would be like asking poker players to play a game of high stakes poker with an open hand. It doesn't work, period. These communication documents contained the same kind of sensitive information that should not fall into the hands of extremists. Granted, there were many other documents that showed crimes and torture that should have come to light, but not at the expensive of released every document.If you think 100% transparency would work, then you obviously have no idea what national security means. If you have such a bleeding heart for those being mistreated by government, then you're probably liberally blinded to the realities of modern governance.[/citation]

I think you hv got it wrong.

Wikileaks has never released any document which can be a threat to a national security. You should note that even Wiki has been discrete too.

National security does not mean telling lies. You are not able to digest wikileaks like most of us as we all have become so much habitual to listen what we want to listen and so if something other then this comes up we cry. We are Ok as long as normal media reports about day to day scams etc, but when something comes up in front of us which can change our entire view point towards the media and the system itself then we are not comfortable with it.

I will not talk about any particular incidence but just look at the world we live in, the wars we face in different parts of the planets etc. Don't you think they can not be avoided at all,,,,, and do u and I mean do you really believe they are being fought for the same reason we are told they are being fought for. This is just one exmple.. Tday the world comunciation is getting so much affected by the source itself it reminds of a recent game "Mirror's Edge".

I can agree that not all of us can handle the plain raw truth,,, BUT THEN THIS IS OUR FAULT... do not critize someone or something which is bringing it to us.

I am not sure by doing this Wikileask is adding to the world peace or not.. but it is definitely the correct thing to do. You can get peace by staying quite as well... but do you really call it a peace.

groveborn

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2008
He perpetrated no crime (he's outside the jurisdiction of US justice), he released secrete documents that show a corrupt government at work (as well as documents that should remain secrete, he's indiscriminate). Is he a nice guy? Nope, but he's no criminal. He shouldn't be allowed to enter US held territories, but he certainly meets the criteria of a Nobel Prize. I doubt he'll be awarded it, though.

I agree that not all government activity should be transparent, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't discover when they do something atrocious. There should be some sort of checks and balances on what is secret, and what is not. Who decides? The very same people who commit the crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.