WikiLeaks Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
This guy did it for his ego. If the committee does award the "Peace Prize" to this guy, I'm just not going to care about Nobel Prizes anymore.

fayzaan

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2010
[citation][nom]groveborn[/nom]He perpetrated no crime (he's outside the jurisdiction of US justice), he released secrete documents that show a corrupt government at work (as well as documents that should remain secrete, he's indiscriminate). Is he a nice guy? Nope, but he's no criminal. He shouldn't be allowed to enter US held territories, but he certainly meets the criteria of a Nobel Prize. I doubt he'll be awarded it, though.I agree that not all government activity should be transparent, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't discover when they do something atrocious. There should be some sort of checks and balances on what is secret, and what is not. Who decides? The very same people who commit the crimes.[/citation]

Why should anything be a secret when it comes to government? I can understand if it has to do with military. But any sort of transactions or decisions a government makes must be public and acceptable by the public. After all, isn't the government supposed to serve its people and not the people serve its government?

to me, it looks like we're going back in time when leaders would rule as God's and the people as his slaves...

Status
Not open for further replies.