WikiLeaks Switched, Banned From Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
I like how they randomly mention the sexual assault case at the end, as if it's coincidence a dropped case has been revived. I also can't imagine what the HSC and Lieberman have to do with Amazon, or why Amazon has a right to kick people off their servers and break whatever contract that customer has before any sort of attack happens. This is just another blatant attempt of Lieberman throwing his ego-maniacal authority around to force his views on others.

What this amounts to is that Wikileaks has offended the American Empire and Amazon is nothing but a dog of the state so they rolled over and submitted in fear of government harassment.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
Good news. This Wikileaks guy is an idiot of the highest order. I'm all for government transparency, but when you're leaking documents that name the names of informants and other people whose lives become even more at risk, sorry, that makes you a callous idiot. He wants to harm the reputation of the US, at any cost, and no matter how many lives are lost in the process. Sorry, but that's wrong, and it's definitely not the path to greater transparency.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
What wikileaks does, is the equivalent of breaking into your house, stealing your stuff, and then selling it on ebay. They do not care about wrong or right it is simply dollar signs to them. So if Amazon decides that millions of their customers might be affended and take their purchases somewhere else, maybe they care about dollar signs too. Wikileaks is the stuff that comes out of the dogs @$$.

Rancifer7

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Its amazing how much vitriol happens when someone publishes documents. I suppose hiding from the truth is a lot easier than seeing it sit right in front of you.

_luck_

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]I also can't imagine what the HSC and Lieberman have to do with Amazon, or why Amazon has a right to kick people off their servers and break whatever contract that customer has before any sort of attack happens.[/citation]

Amazon didn't technically do anything wrong, since their lease agreements are quite explicit about the fact that they have the right to terminate service for any reason at any time (which makes sense since they own the servers) and since that was the contract Wikileaks signed up for, then all I can say is: sucks for them.

Technicalities aside though, it was definitely a dick move and I totally agree with you about Lieberman being an ass. However what wikileaks did, in posting classified information, is wrong. I have respect for due process of law, and therefore find the flagrant disregard for that law to be disturbing. Whether I agree with those laws in particular is another matter entirely. I may not like them, but they are laws/rules/regulations/procedures that were put in place by a system that I respect. If the rules need to be changed ( and the most definitely do ) then they should be changed the same way they were made. Chances of that happening are pretty slim though, which is why i'm continually less and less enamored with living in the US.

tl;dr - Amazon can do what it wants with it's servers, Lieberman's an ass, Wikileaks is going about this the wrong way, and I probably won't be an "American" much longer

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]I like how they randomly mention the sexual assault case at the end, as if it's coincidence a dropped case has been revived. I also can't imagine what the HSC and Lieberman have to do with Amazon, or why Amazon has a right to kick people off their servers and break whatever contract that customer has before any sort of attack happens. This is just another blatant attempt of Lieberman throwing his ego-maniacal authority around to force his views on others.What this amounts to is that Wikileaks has offended the American Empire and Amazon is nothing but a dog of the state so they rolled over and submitted in fear of government harassment.[/citation]

in america this is called treason and is punishable by death with a firing squad or hanging, during a time of war any military officer of the united states can execute them on the spot first. also if it is a business, the business will be taken over and any one handling this classified and illegally obtained and decrypted information can either be shot or hung on the spot or prosecuted under several federal laws if the officers/agents decide to arrest them instead. it's very black and white lettering of the law in times of war, for which the americans have a formal declaration of war lodged with the U.N. over afganistan.

if the russians don't get this guy and his cohorts first.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
oh on the down low, the threat was to shut down amazon and take their entire operation and lock it up in a vault at some restricted and unofficial unknown/undisclosed location and throw all the company officers and board as well as any one who came into contact with this info into federal prison for 50 years.

this is why people are required to take ethics classes. and sign contracts with the government to even be a business and allowed to operate. that's correct owning and operating a business are not rights in america, just like driving and owning property, it's at the governments consent.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]in america this is called treason and is punishable by death with a firing squad or hanging, during a time of war any military officer of the united states can execute them on the spot first. also if it is a business, the business will be taken over and any one handling this classified and illegally obtained and decrypted information can either be shot or hung on the spot or prosecuted under several federal laws if the officers/agents decide to arrest them instead. it's very black and white lettering of the law in times of war, for which the americans have a formal declaration of war lodged with the U.N. over afganistan.if the russians don't get this guy and his cohorts first.[/citation]

Actually it's called espionage, the act of illegally obtaining information without permission. Treason would be the betrayal of one's country, which Assange is not a citizen of the US. For all your ranting about the consequences, you apparently don't understand what treason is.

The story here however is not about the Wikileaks agenda. It's about the US government exerting force on a private business to suppress information for the sake of protecting their own interests. It could be argued that freedom of speech and of the press would not apply here since the subject matter threatens national security, but if the government continues along this path, they can slowly remove those freedoms, bit by bit. They didn't really have a problem with these leaks however until they were about the US and their allies.

You may want to consider though that any professional spy could get the same information that Wikileaks is publishing. They're informing the public of what a respectable intel organization already knows. You might also want to consider that the United States would not exist were it not for committing treason against the British Empire. Social reform doesn't occur without dissidents pressing for change.

kikireeki

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
The majority of information that Wikileaks revealed is already known to millions (at least outside the US) but without solid proof. Wikileaks has just brought some hard evidence that the US gov could not simply deny as usual.
And sure the American panic is very reasonable since the info might damage the already not so good gov image and honesty , but forcing the international community to take an action -in a way or another- is just ridiculous! You did not like it? fine then fight back in Tom Clancy's style and do not make waves!

G

Not surprised. They US can open fire on Iraq kids now they certainly will do everything to kill Wikileaks and Assange.

potatolord

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Wikileaks should distribute the witness testimony accusing Julian Assange of being a rapist.

That information also wants to be free.

kohvitass

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2010
It's not sure yet who stole the documents but:
Wikileaks gets documents = illegal
NY Times/Guardian get the documents = legal
makes absolutely no sense.

Wikileaks asked US help to clear documents of names and whatnot....they declined.
If there's any information that could cause harm...it's the governments fault.

The sexual assault case was dead....till now.
And they only want him to answer some questions...they haven't actually found him guilty or anything.
He offered to do it online...but they want him physically there....he thinks it's BS and that puts him in the list of 6000 most wanted criminals.....sounds pretty legit huh?

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]in america this is called treason and is punishable by death with a firing squad or hanging, during a time of war any military officer of the united states can execute them on the spot first. also if it is a business, the business will be taken over and any one handling this classified and illegally obtained and decrypted information can either be shot or hung on the spot or prosecuted under several federal laws if the officers/agents decide to arrest them instead. it's very black and white lettering of the law in times of war, for which the americans have a formal declaration of war lodged with the U.N. over afganistan.if the russians don't get this guy and his cohorts first.[/citation]
You can not accuse a foreign person of treason. Assange is an Australian citizen, hence he can not be betraying USA, because he is not part of it.He is a "journalist" because that's what any journalist does, use information from undisclosed sources and publish them to the public. If usa wants stuff like this to go away, then they have 2 choices:
1. STOP LYING TO THE PEOPLE or
2. catch the solders who actually stole those files ,and sent them to wikileaks, and make them pay by the law, this will also be a reminder for others who may want to leak stuff.
Stop blinding yourself. I don't get how a person can not mind being mislead by its own government.

You do realize that Assange is just a face to take the heat, and even if they catch, and kill him, wikileaks will still be here, and even if wikileaks servers are taken down, they can still release on torrents (as they do now) and you simply can't stop those. So the only way out of this is look at the root of the problem.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Oh and if you take a look at the actual documents you will see that they HAVE BEEN CLEANED the only names that you can find are of the officials, who we all know and trust. There are many spaces where it simply says [name removed] and [details removed] where unofficial names are used. WHY IN GODS NAME ARE PEOPLE SO TRUSTY OF TV CHANNELS??? when you can just go to the website and SEE FOR YOURSELF??? it's very annoying. I can only imagine how those people feel after they've been cleaning those documents for 10 months now and they do no other damage then to show how wrong governments all over the world run things.

G

FREEDOM OF SPEECH
Thanks wiki leaks for giving us the truth, at least u will and not the pompous governments we have.

cmartin011

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2010
I like this "1. STOP LYING TO THE PEOPLE"
I like this "WHY IN GODS NAME ARE PEOPLE SO TRUSTY OF TV CHANNELS?"
i like this "You can not accuse a foreign person of treason. Assange is an Australian citizen, hence he can not be betraying USA"
this may piss off some people but i believe a race of humans with out government secrets is race of humans better off. this of course is looking at everyone equal as a race of Humanity and the ultimate goal off knowledge for all.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
As long as there are lies and secrets kept from the public there will be those that seeks the truth and finds it, when they does the liars will try to cover it up - This time likely by pressuring amazon into submission.

Freedom of Speech ect have started to be eroded by those who are supposed to protect its citizens freedom. All in the name of (insert random - battle terrorism, stop illegal file sharing or foreign threats). If you don't see what happens well don't complain the day when you sit there in your IsoCube, monitored by a camera 24/7 and newly implanted with a transponder in your spine.

Status
Not open for further replies.