Wikipedia Beefs Up Multimedia Backend

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I think it's rather unwise of Wikipedia.
They've been putting up banners to get 6m$ to get these servers updated, right in a time where globally it was getting worse with the economy.
I heard they didn't even reach there.
Now they're upgrading their stuff, which costs money, probably have higher internet traffic,which costs more; service will cost more too; I mean, I can imagine 2TB fitting in 4 drives raid; but 48TB?
More electric bills, more data also means more checking out needs to be done, so more personnel to be payed...

I think it's a rather bad move, especially since Wikipedia is supposed to be an encyclopedia, not a video archive.
Besides, with ISP's capping monthly data transfer, people are probably opting for less,rather than more.

Imean,I was pretty happy with Wikipedia like it was. It loaded fast. I hope they will limit pages on video's and flash files.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I somewhat agree that this is a bit over the top.

I think the additional video capability is good but I would really like to hear the definition of 'a legitimate need'. The vast majority of two hour videos have no business on wikipedia IMO.

We don't need 43 different two hour videos on how TCP works and 39 on how to convert between the graphical representation of a chemical compound and its name.

After asking for all that cash they had sure better be sure it is only the highest production quality and most informative.

I guess my bottom line is that if they keep redundant video to a minimum, that I consider this to be just shy of extravagant, but still acceptable and possibly very useful.

whiz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
I believe wikipedia has a need to extend it's multimedia capabilities, and let's not forget that the wikimedia servers host many other Wiki sites that also require capacity. I too though, hope that this investment will be put to good use, and will not lead the development of wikipedia to the wrong direction. Videos are ok on youtube, I'd like to see embedded videos related to the subjects, hosted by OTHER sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.