Wikipedia Raises $25 Million During Fundraising Campaign

Status
Not open for further replies.

wannabepro

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2011
Although Wiki may not be the most reliable source of information, it is still a great place to find sources or to get a general understanding of a subject.

I, for one, am happy about this..
Although I am sure many others are not... Let the 'yacht' comments commence..

fearless1333

Honorable
Jun 25, 2012
I don't know about anyone else, but I have yet to find one inaccurate piece of information on Wikipedia for all the years I have used it. Personally, I trust Wikipedia more than I trust my teachers.

burmese_dude

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
That's good. We all use Wikipedia. Hope they stay in the business for as long as internet exists.

After finding out they've raised 25 mill, there was a very heartwarming and elegant speech by one exec. "Let's go to club and make it rain, b!tches."

PTNLemay

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2011
[citation][nom]fearless1333[/nom]I don't know about anyone else, but I have yet to find one inaccurate piece of information on Wikipedia for all the years I have used it. Personally, I trust Wikipedia more than I trust my teachers.[/citation]
For factual things like the atomic weight of carbon, it's always correct. But for very recent things like news or celebrity tabloids, things like that that are usually hazy, it can have some errors (or at least things that are open to interpretation). A good way of gauging how trustworthy the info is is to see how long it's been on the site without having been edited. The longer it's been there, usually means the more trustworthy it is.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
When the world economy is booming, organizations that depends on donations don't have fund problem, but as of the state of world economy today, raising funds is difficult.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
[citation][nom]TheBigTroll[/nom]wikipedia is dam reliable, until you go to articles that are bound to get crapped on[/citation]
Don't they lock some of the articles to prevent vandalism? Name an article that is currently being "crapped on".

billiardicus

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2008
I consider wikipedia to be one of the most reliable sources of information that exists because it is the collaborative effort of many experts. Your encyclopedia probably does not have the same level of collaboration. Teachers/professors still will not let you cite it, but as another reader remarked, Wikipedia is more reliable than most (if not all) professors and or experts.

obsama1

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Wikipedia is great for:
-Getting a general grasp of something
-Getting into the nitty gritty of something

With Wikipedia, you no longer have to look for sources, since you can go to a Wikipedia page and all the sources are at the bottom, and you can use those. Wikipedia has been very accurate and objective for the many years I've used it.

Status
Not open for further replies.