Wikipedia Warns of Malware Injecting Ads on Pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
It's nice to see the two above me took the time to read the article. If you're seeing ads on their website, it means you have malware. A potentially serious problem. Using an ad blocker wont fix the said problem.

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
^actually it likely will. Depends on the ad block and how the virus is written. It certainly won't fix the virus though, just cover up the symptom lol.

shoelessinsight

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2009
As slicedtoad said, Adblock will only mask the symptom, which could actually end up working against you if the malware has other functions besides ad injection (like stealing bank numbers). Without the relatively harmless early warning of ad injection, you may not notice the malware until it's done something much worse.

amdfangirl

Distinguished
Herald
Apr 7, 2008
[citation][nom]shoelessinsight[/nom]As slicedtoad said, Adblock will only mask the symptom, which could actually end up working against you if the malware has other functions besides ad injection (like stealing bank numbers). Without the relatively harmless early warning of ad injection, you may not notice the malware until it's done something much worse.[/citation]

Doesn't Adblock just see something as a url that is blacklisted and block any connections from it thus blocking the ad.

I'm sure this is how websites detect that you are indeed running Adblock.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]jrharbort[/nom]It's nice to see the two above me took the time to read the article. If you're seeing ads on their website, it means you have malware. A potentially serious problem. Using an ad blocker wont fix the said problem.[/citation]

No, an ad-blocker might not stop the malware, but using an ad blocker could make it less annoying. Besides, it should at least stop you from clicking on ads that give you more malware. Getting rid of malware is not it's job, that is what antivirus, anti-spyware, and other anti-malware programs are for.

G

dreadlokz, adblock is a extension for Google Chrome last i checked.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]lazyboychair[/nom]dreadlokz, adblock is a extension for Google Chrome last i checked.[/citation]

adblock is both Chrome and Firefox, the Firefox version is generally a little better (although that might be true now).

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Hellbound[/nom]I'm glad I have adblock plus..[/citation]

Hmm, that's like saying "I have cancer.. but I take Aspirin. No pain.... so I must be fine."

xerroz

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Hmm, that's like saying "I have cancer.. but I take Aspirin. No pain.... so I must be fine."[/citation]
Ads are a cancer

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
people are idiots,

IT question: whats wrong?
person: my computer is slow.
IT question: how long have you noticed it slow?
person: i don't know
IT question: I see you have a lot of pop ups on your browser, how long have you had that?
person: i don't know, awhile I guess
IT question: You have lots of toolbars on your browser, do you use or need these?
person: no, I don't know what they are for? can you take them off?

IT (thinks inside, ... your an idiot)

Status
Not open for further replies.