Will a Phillips hue A19 bulb work in a exterior light fixture with light & motion sensor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ARsnic

Estimable
Mar 15, 2015
Hi,

I have a set of light fixtures next to my front door that I installed several years ago. Each fixture has a built in light & motion sensors such that the lights only come on when daylight is diminished (before it really gets dark) and when the lights are on, if motion is detected, they get brighter. Each fixture covers the bulb from all sides with glass, though the bottom is open. Additionally, my front door is off of my front porch so the fixtures are not exposed to rain or snow, but we do get a little chilly in the winter (down into lower 30s).

I am considering replacing the standard yellow 60W bulb with Phillips Hue A19 white & color dimmable bulbs. I already have dimmable white bulbs in several rooms in my house & use the Hue Apps on my Android phone.

My question, quite simply, will these bulbs work in my existing light fixtures?

Appreciate your sagely advice

Will the Philips bulb come on when you apply power to it?
If it won't then the fixtures sensors won't be able to control the bulb and the app won't work unless the fixture is already on.
If it will then the fixture may be able to function normally but the app still won't work unless the fixture is already on.
I suspect it won't work.

ARsnic

Estimable
Mar 15, 2015

Well, to start off inexpensively, I got a pair of A19 White dimmable Phillips Hue bulbs (Hue number: 455293). The light switch that controls the two fixtures was on and as soon as I screwed the bulbs in, the lit up. I then went about adding a room to my Phillips Hue App and added the new bulbs to that room. Bulbs were still on. I then created a custom routine, turning the lights on at Sunset and turning them off at Sunrise, with bulbs coming on in Dimmed illumination (the middle setting). Will check this evening to see if the routine works and if the lights brighten with motion

Have my fingers crossed

ARsnic

Estimable
Mar 15, 2015
UPDATE:
While the exterior light fixture with light & motion sensors only provided power to the Phillips Hue bulbs, using the Sunset to Sunrise recipe I described above, in fact turned lights on about sunset & off at sunrise (I have a 30 minute lead/lag set -- part of the set up). Additionally, I found an IFTT routine that changed the bulbs scene to bright (up from the medium setting). Both of these worked well last night.

The only thing that I can not figure out is how to return the lights to the medium brightness setting after a few minutes -- Would very much appreciate some assistance on this.

Thanks -- will keep updated as I get things working further

Status
Not open for further replies.