Will Facebook Buy webOS for Future Smartphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
"If they bought the operating system solely for the patents, then there's a good chance webOS development would not continue."

Why would they care if somebody uses their patented tech from webOS, when they no longer develop the software?? This kind of business should no be allowed.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]dimar[/nom]"If they bought the operating system solely for the patents, then there's a good chance webOS development would not continue."Why would they care if somebody uses their patented tech from webOS, when they no longer develop the software?? This kind of business should no be allowed.[/citation]
Same reason many companies want patents that are never used, to sue other companies who can do something with similar technology.

aniklues

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Is there no possibility that Samsung buy webOS? I heard they've started to develop a New OS even though they have aleady their own OS, 'Bada'. After Google took over Motolora, it seems like they are taking warning Android.

Archean

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
webOS isn't half as bad as many think, where Palm and then HP failed was to optimize the OS to provide best possible experience to users. So may be FB can do a more reasonable job (provided this rumor turns out to be true).

cats_Paw

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2007
" It's also reportedly put the iPad app on hold because Facebook wants control of account information which goes against Apple's policy."

Am i the only one who thinks there is something creepy in this?

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
CatsPaw.... yep.

What, logging in isn't enough? I already don't care for the info Apple has on me... and I don't buy anything from their app store or iTunes.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
As it stands now, Google is seemingly cornering the rival social website with a huge offering: a mobile operating system with a native video client, a native document writer, a native navigation system, a native social website, a native music locker, a native search engine, a native e-mail client... the list goes on.
Wow, when you put it that way, its pretty easy to see how Google is increasingly becoming the dominant player in the smartphone world. While that kind of centralization of personal data scares me a bit, I'd still rather Google has my data than Apple or Facebook. The only other real choice is RIM, but their product just isn't that compelling.

Personally, I agree with other commenters that Samsung should buy webOS. But while I like Samsung's products, I don't really like them as a company since they are so horribly corrupt and intertwined with the Korean government.

So basically, I'm stuck with Google/Android until something better comes along. Am I the only one that is really hating the vertical integration that the smart phone world has been moving towards?

Status
Not open for further replies.