Will G-Sync help "future-proof" a laptop?

tniemuth95

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012
Hey guys, looking to get a new laptop with a GTX 1060 in it. I'm torn between two models, one with g-sync and one without. Both with 1080P, 60 hz screens. I mostly play WoW but occasionaly play D3, or some indie games- no big AAA titles like battlefield or CoD. Obviously the 1060 is not going to have any issues with WoW at 1080P and 60FPS. But a couple years down the road, when my FPS drops below 60, or if I want to play some newer games, will g-sync be beneficial then? It's about a $100 difference between the models. So, is g-sync worth it for playing games longer down the road? Thanks!

tniemuth95

Honorable
Dec 6, 2012

Just wanna clarify- g-sync on a 60hz screen will only take effect when my FPS drops below 60 correct? So I'll only notice a gaming improvement when playing games that drop below 60 fps?

iamacow

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
G-Sync stops working below 30FPS /Hz so in a way you aren't really future proofing at all. As along as you are above 30fps you will have a better gaming experience but in no way would it "future-proof" anything.

G-Sync makes sure you don't see screen tearing by making sure full frames are shows on the display and not dropping frames either. It works upwards of 200hz.