Will having a faulty battery in your laptop damage the power supply ?

sagooding

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
I have a hp dv7 3085. Ive had it for the past three to four years and it has functioned quite well.

However most laptop batteries only last for so long and mine is at the end of its life. Whenever I boot my laptop it says I have to replace it and it holds no charge and jumps from 0% to 100% sometimes. Also if i unplug my laptop with the batter inside it shuts off.

I only use this laptop on my desk now so it can be constantly plugged in like a desktop so I don't plan on buying a new battery for it.

My question is :
If I leave the dead battery in the laptop will this have any effect on the power supply ?

Could it damage it in any way ?

Should I just use the laptop without the battery in it ?

Solution

It is very unlikely that the dead...

sagooding

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009
Will it do any damage to the laptop internals ?

Also there is a light next to where the adapter plugs into the laptop. From the time I plug it in it only lights for a few seconds then it goes out. What does this mean. The laptop still runs normal when plugged in with or without the battery in it and it runs the same with the light off.
Still why doesn't it light up when the laptop is plugged in?

g-unit1111

Distinguished

The battery itself is a power supply. When a laptop is plugged in it runs off one power source. When the laptop runs on battery, it uses another power source. I can't imagine where a battery would fry your internal components - I'm sure it has happened but at the same time I can't see where it would. The battery runs independent of the PSU.

makkem

Distinguished

It is very unlikely that the dead battery will affect the power supply as when they die they tend to go open circuit not short circuit.It is even more unlikely that it would affect the laptop.If you have had no problems so far then you can continue with what you are doing.

Solution

If you leave your battery connected, you'll get a warning about his condition. If you remove the battery, as you said it will be used as a computer desktop. You have no problem if you leave the battery or remove it.