Will laptop coolers allow more dust in?

Servet Portakal

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Hi,
Have you guys experienced any increase in dust collection while using an external laptop cooler? Because the device is new and has its warranty. I don't want to have to send it for cleaning....

Solution
If there is a large enough vent on the bottom side of the laptop, then yes, the dust will get inside faster. And in terms of cleaning the dust - i don;t recommend using compressed air, because you could damage something inside or push dust clogs into the fan, the fan gets stuck and it dies. The best way to do it is to take it apart and clean it with a dry brush, clean the old thermal paste, and apply a new one. For maximum efficiency (lowest temps possible), that is.

turkey3_scratch

Estimable
Herald
Jul 15, 2014
I have a cooler underneath my laptop that blows cool air under it. There is no reason that should increase dust. Furthermore, dust build up should not really become an issue for a few years, in which then you could remove the laptop battery, unscrew the back, and use (I forget what it's called) a tool to blow air gently on the motherboard and blow the dust out. That can save you a lot of money than taking it to a store and getting charged a ton. Also, if you ever do that, just remember take out the battery and I might advise you, if you actually touch the motherboard, to wear a cheap anti-static wrist band. That is NOT so you don't get shocked but so YOU don't shock IT. But all in all it's not a hard process, it could be done in a manner of 5 or 10 minutes.

Servet Portakal

Honorable
May 5, 2013
Thanks... In desktop systems, I have seen a great amount of dust accumulate in a very short time like a month or two in places where the fans blow air. That's why I wanted to listen to people's experiences ...

They should be "Compressed Air Dusters".

V1ctor89

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
If there is a large enough vent on the bottom side of the laptop, then yes, the dust will get inside faster. And in terms of cleaning the dust - i don;t recommend using compressed air, because you could damage something inside or push dust clogs into the fan, the fan gets stuck and it dies. The best way to do it is to take it apart and clean it with a dry brush, clean the old thermal paste, and apply a new one. For maximum efficiency (lowest temps possible), that is.

Solution

Servet Portakal

Honorable
May 5, 2013
I see... I have cleaned my old laptop many times after sending it to a technical service once ( Thought they couldn't tell since the device had been opened by them once, lol ). Anyways, I guess there is no good option given the current warranty policy and service quality.