Will my laptop run reliably on AC power alone with a completely dead battery?

alwill

Prominent
Dec 2, 2017
Hello, rather than 'battery life' my question is will my laptop still operate reliably if my battery goes completely dead and I am running on just plug in power instead. My battery won't charge much anymore, if at all, (it's now at 2%) and I have been running on plug in power for months now. But lately I have been getting messages that my battery is very low and I should plug in (when I am already plugged in). And now I am having trouble powering up the computer. It will start the sequence and then shut down. So, I go back to the initial question - can the laptop still operate with a completely dead battery, even if it is plugged into AC power? BTW, this is a Toshiba Satellite model L755 that's about 6 years old. The computer itself is still fully functional.

Solution
Some laptops will still run even if the battery is dead, as long as it is still in the device and it is being powered by the charger cord.

That said, this doesn't work with all devices. Some times the manufacturer will make it so the device must have a working battery (even if a low charging one) in it and working for the device to work. Plus, while you can run a device (sometimes) that way, it isn't wise to do it for a long time. They are meant to have a battery.
Some laptops will still run even if the battery is dead, as long as it is still in the device and it is being powered by the charger cord.

That said, this doesn't work with all devices. Some times the manufacturer will make it so the device must have a working battery (even if a low charging one) in it and working for the device to work. Plus, while you can run a device (sometimes) that way, it isn't wise to do it for a long time. They are meant to have a battery.

Solution