Will Razer Blade Stealth bottleneck a 1070? or 1080?

bchargualaf

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016
So I'm going to be heading off to university soon and am looking for a new laptop. I am really interested in getting the Razer Blade Stealth, mostly because it looks amazing and is very light and portable. I am also thinking of buying the Razer Core and most likely a 1070 with it. I have a couple of questions here. Is the i7 6500u going to bottleneck the GPU? The laptop comes with 8gbs of ram running at 1866mhz. Is that enough for gaming? The processor is dual core and I've heard that games only use one core and that the extra cores are good to have but it won't affect performance to much. This laptop has a dual core processor, is that good enough? In case you're wondering what games ill be playing on it:
Overwatch
Dota 2
Battlefield One
Thanks guys for all the help, sorry if the thread was long. I'm new to this hardware scene so I appreciate any help.

Solution

As the OP has pointed out, the i7 6500u supports 1866 MHz RAM. And a dual-core CPU with hyperthreading (equivalent to desktop i3) can absolutely still be viable for gaming. But pairing it with something as powerful as a 1080 or 1070...

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016
I would get a better laptop, Dual Core Processors are Obsolete for gaming, because games use more than one core regularly. That is also a low voltage processor and wont perform well especially when it comes to gaming and playing anything that requires a lot of processing, stuff like Battlefield and Strategy games. Also no way that laptop ram is running at 1866mhz, because that cpu doesnt support that ram speed. And you cant put a 1070 or 1080 in a laptop and the mobile versions are over a year away

bchargualaf

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016

The Razer Core is an external graphics card enclosure that connects to a laptop via Thunderbolt 3. My main concern is if the CPU will bottleneck the 1070. And yes I double checked, the ram is running at 1866mhz.

Purpletalon55

Respectable
Apr 2, 2016

They are scamming you then because the processor wont run the ram at 1866, but as far as the 1070 your cpu will bottleneck it hard.

bchargualaf

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016

Ok well I did some research and I don't know what you're talking about man. http://ark.intel.com/products/88194/Intel-Core-i7-6500U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz it clearly states that it does support 1866mhz RAM. Do you do your research before you go and type nonsense? Not getting mad, but if someone were really looking for help you would mislead them into making a bad purchase or make them avoid a good one. With that being said, I did see that while a dual core can still run games, a quad core is something I need to get. Thanks anyways.

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014

As the OP has pointed out, the i7 6500u supports 1866 MHz RAM. And a dual-core CPU with hyperthreading (equivalent to desktop i3) can absolutely still be viable for gaming. But pairing it with something as powerful as a 1080 or 1070 would bottleneck, especially given that it's a mobile low-power part, and therefore clocked somewhat low.

Solution

SaltyMac

Commendable
Oct 25, 2016

1. doesnt understand that there is a razer core.
2. says mobile versions are OVER a year away.
3. awkwardly pulls out asus with 1070 in it.