Will The Future of Mental Health Treatment Be Online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

killerchickens

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I think the only actual therapy you could get online would be over a video chat. Any thing bellow that you can get from a book or free online. If you are willing to do any thing bellow a video chat your problem probable aren't that bad. There are plenty of free supportive forum on the web.
This idea sounds kind of insulting to psychology.

das_stig

Distinguished
Hello, I like to read the postings over at TH UK, but keeping hearing these voices to visit Anandtech for unbias reviews. Am I nutz or is the rest of the world? What do the words faster pussy cat, kill, kill have to do with the price of fish and why do I see dead people, oh hang on nope, sorry, they happen to be the highly educated and literate TH editorial staff.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
There is no way to judge body language and affect of an individual online with the clarity necessary. There is also no way to know that the location is a "safe" and "peaceful" to promote the environmental factors necessary for accurate therapeutic treatment.

While it would work for simple "self help" situations, for many, like abuse, or severe depression, its just a bad idea.

Your Truly, with Degrees in Social Psychology and Human Services Management.

SoiledBottom

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2006
"Will The Future of Mental Health Treatment Be Online?"

I just hope I don't hit my data cap before my shrink gives me my diagnose and treatment plan

Wonder is my health care plan will cover my ISP data cap overage

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]K2N hater[/nom]@EditorWill you feel responsible if one commits suicide after trying it?[/citation]

Yes, of course.
And the client in this case can request a refund of the last session fee. :)

What's next; step by step guidance thru an appendectomy via Instant Messenger ?

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
I don't think this will work so good...
Part of being a good shrink is the ability to read body language, tone of voice, etc etc...
This can be done electronically, but will the extra expense be worth it?

kanoobie

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
"Will The Future of Mental Health Treatment Be Online?"

*Consults Magic 8 Ball for the answer* - "Don't count on it"

Next question?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
Online help/self help are both a joke. People need people. Not computers, not themselves, but other people!

Yes there are people on the other side of the computer, but the human touch is what is important. That will never change. If it does, people will never get better and will always have mental health issues.

G

It's just one option out of several - and so therefore etherapy provides consumers with an additional alternative to f2f and/or medication. Plus all three (or a combination of two) can be used if that is what the consumer chooses to do.

In terms of an evidence base - web-based programs (with or without therapist-assistance) is quite substantive. Longer term follow-ups also provide evidence for maintenance effects.

Just as medication and traditional f2f therapy is not for everyone, nor will etherapy be. Providing consumers with good options is the best form of empowerment.

G

in a way it might be good to get theropy over the web,,,,but the other person was right people do need people some times,,,,so i dont know

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]bak0n[/nom]There is no way to judge body language and affect of an individual online with the clarity necessary. There is also no way to know that the location is a "safe" and "peaceful" to promote the environmental factors necessary for accurate therapeutic treatment. While it would work for simple "self help" situations, for many, like abuse, or severe depression, its just a bad idea.Your Truly, with Degrees in Social Psychology and Human Services Management.[/citation]

Unless they use Kinect....
/sarcasm

G

If I can shop and have sex online, therapy is just the natural, sick conclusion to an experience of increased alienation and hobbled social skills. And watch some idiot get wealthy off it.

maxwebb

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
Yet despite these benefits, eTherapy has numerous weaknesses that make it not necessarily ideal for modern use. Some of these weaknesses include:
completely forgot about your most intimate deep emotions and secrets being freely available to any competent hacker. in which case, who would ultimately be responsible for the breach in client/patient confidentiality?

G

Hi. Just thought I would chime and say that we really have moved past the point of anecdotal evidence that online intervention is efficacious. See http://www.onlinetherapyinstitute.com/does-online-therapy-work/ And for information on bonding (telepresence) see Therapy Online: A Practical Guide (Sage, UK & US). I also point you and any of your readers to our quarterly magazine on the topic: http://www.onlinetherapymagazine.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.