Will the Logitech g430 work with an audio card

SpeedyMario

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
Basically, I don't like the audio quality of the USB dongle that comes with the headset, and I was wondering if the 7.1 surround sound would still work if I got an audio card that supports it, or do you need to use the usb sound card to get 7.1?

Solution
In short, no.

Ignore Chugalug_, he doesn't understand what he's even saying.

Anyway, a soundcard is the most important piece of audio equipment in a computer.

An Audigy is a very nice card, I use a 12 year old Audigy 4, which was $170 new. Break out box and remote control still work.

My sound output is many many times better than any onboard audio, and you don't need amazing speakers to hear it.

Those headphones have their own built-in sound card. So they will not be able to directly use the analog output of a dedicated sound card.

Search for a 3.5mm headset to use with a dedicated sound card. They run (heaps) cheaper and typically contain speakers of much better quality that the expensive usb headsets, where all the money is...

hydranix

Honorable
Dec 19, 2013
In short, no.

Ignore Chugalug_, he doesn't understand what he's even saying.

Anyway, a soundcard is the most important piece of audio equipment in a computer.

An Audigy is a very nice card, I use a 12 year old Audigy 4, which was $170 new. Break out box and remote control still work.

My sound output is many many times better than any onboard audio, and you don't need amazing speakers to hear it.

Those headphones have their own built-in sound card. So they will not be able to directly use the analog output of a dedicated sound card.

Search for a 3.5mm headset to use with a dedicated sound card. They run (heaps) cheaper and typically contain speakers of much better quality that the expensive usb headsets, where all the money is spent on the electronics instead of the speakers/mic.

Solution

Chugalug_

Estimable
It goes through a single jack to an amp to USB microphone....
How pray tell are you going to get a microphone to work through a sound card's optical input?
It's a G430, you're not exactly running high impedance cans here are you?

SpeedyMario

Prominent
Mar 27, 2017
Thanks for your help hydranix, I will indeed ignore what Chugalug_ is saying, I don't really listen to people with a set up like his ever tbh, chances are his idea of a "decent" set of headphones has to be at least 300$, In my opinion, someone with a setup like his seems the type to go with an analogy of "if it costs more, it MUST be better"

Chugalug_

Estimable
The G430 is a $30 headset, a 'decent' set of headphones would cost about $60-70, and by decent i'm not necessarily only referring to sound quality, but also impedance, or how much they take to drive.
It's not about cost, it's about whether it's worth slapping a sound card on them.
Your headset is low impedance, and therefore does not need much to power it. My point is money on a sound card would be wasted.

Take away the cost of a mic too and the actual amount spent on audio quality is tiny, and it shows.
I run a store mate, don't lecture me on 'if it costs more it must be better', you're the one spending money on a sound card you won't notice a difference with here. I get parts at a discount, that's why my system has a kraken in it, and quite a bit was won from competitions. Personal situations, and not at all relevant to you, stick on thread topic, no personal attacks here.

I'm only trying to help you, amusing given you choose to indeed listen to the person with 7 other solutions. This isn't about me, it's about you.
Do what you want, if you want to be pompous and only hear what you want to that's your choice, but i'm just putting info out there, take an ear to listen.

Think of it as buying a $500 laptop and then slapping a diamond studded case skin onto it.

Chugalug_

Estimable
Don't take my word for it though: http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2032660/sound-card-logitech-g430.html

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/750628-sound-card-for-g430/
Extracts: "better value since a sound card does not make a big diifrence for most modern motherboard's unless you got some real high end headphones."
"not really worth it. Save the money up for a better headset or headphones, or ofc other things you might need at some point."
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-3408959/soundcard-virtual-surround.html
"Bottom line: If the headphones you like have USB interface, and claim to support "surround-sound", you don't need additional sound card."

Chugalug_

Estimable
For gods sake the guy said a soundcard is the most important piece of equipment in a computer, no alarms going off there?
For audio the most important equipment would be an amplifier or DAC either way.
Save up.
In Aus $100 gets you a fair way in audio, if you save a little more you can get a great pair of headphones like the Audio Technica M40Xs.

Dragos Manea

Estimable
Mar 30, 2015

I agree, i had a 50$ sony heaphones, i had a 20% philips headphones until i got my hands on Audio technica m50x, you cant compare how they sound, even on onboard sound card this headphones are out of this world. Chugalug is right, instead of spending 100$ on soundcard and 30$ on headphones, do the oposite, spend 100$ on headphones and 30$ on soundcard the result will be much much much better.