Will the Next Microsoft Console Be Called Xbox Infinity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Steam are doing great things where you can buy a game and play it on Mac or PC, Linux coming soon.

So how epic would it be if you bought an Xbox game, then logged into your PC and played it there too, then moved onto your tablet or phone. Buy once, play anywhere. Do that and you have a world beating product.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]flowingbass[/nom]They can name it whatever they want as long as they equip it with impressive hardware.[/citation]
There is not going to be a significant difference in performance between the next xbox and the next playstation.
Slight hardware differences don't sell consoles. The PS3 has the most impressive hardware in the current generation, but the difference is marginal and games look almost identical on PS3 and xbox360.

I think the only real selling point of the xbox360 was the lower hardware price. (and then people pay for xbox live.....)
The PS3 got outsold despite having better hardware, better exclusives and free online play.

G

I love how you people keep saying the ps3 has better hardware. It doesn't a 1 core processor is not more powerful then a 3 core processor. The games rendered in higher resolutions on the Xbox prove this. I own a PS3 and an Xbox and this isnt a fan boy post. IMO they both suck and i like my PC better. but when 9 times out of 10 the Xbox runs at higher resolutions that should clue you people in.

alexmx

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
[citation][nom]rhangman[/nom]Are they planning on it being their last console? Or will the follow up be the Xbox Infinity+1?[/citation]

They can alway call it New Xbox, you know?

j/k,

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
It wont be called XBOX 720.... just like the 360 wasn't the Xbox 2.

It will be a different name, whatever. How about "Xbox Win8 fail"?

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]The PS3 got outsold despite having better hardware, better exclusives and free online play.[/citation]
The PS3 was never out-sold... nor is it a failure. It was always the cheaper console (in the long run) because the standard PS3 features were OPTIONAL add-ons... such as the HD ($130~200), Wireless WIFI ($90), memory cards, Wireles joysticks, HD-DVD player ($200).

But you need to remember, the PS3 came out 1 year after the Xbox360 which had a 7million unit lead. That lead continues to this day pretty much. Was the 360 a failure when when had 14million units and PS3 had 7? Was the 360 a failure when they hit 21million units and the PS3 passed 15million?

Keep in mind also, until about 22~25million units, many of the early 360s have died. Many 360 owners are on their 3~5th units... go ahead and count the UPGRADED models and many many 360 owners would upgrade to the newer model to reduce the chances of getting RODD.
With a failure rate of 33%+ that means millions of 360s have lone since been retired or sold to 3rd world countries.

In case you don't know... many refurbs ends up in the black/grey market.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
xbox got ps3 allot cus of the ram for the gpu and cpu, hi rez textures demand higer ram. i owned a ps3 but before lunch when the spec showed up i instantly realised the ram would cripple the ps3. and if you dont belive me look up game commentaries about how they built the games for consoles. 5 of em i`we seen for multi platforms they talk about one hell of a time cramming in the game to the ps3 to fit the ram limit. i hope the next gen consoles will atleast do 1080p sold my ps3 10 titels in its game library and non had above 720p.

Filiprino

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2008
PS3 didn't have better hardware. They had an overpriced CPU with a mediocre GPU compared to Xbox 360 GPU. On top of that you have to add Blu-Ray costs that in 2006 were also sky high and a bigger HDD (60GB vs 20 GB of the Xbox).

Ah... and for next gen consoles expect more mechanical hard disk drives, obviously with more space, but you won't get any SSD goodness, you can think of some sort of cache but nothing more.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
If developers would build games on the PC first then port to consoles life would be so much better in the gaming world.
LOL.... not going to happen. When a TOP selling game may sell 1 million on the PC market (not including the 2~5million pirate copies from people who wouldnt have bought the game anyway) vs. selling 20~60million copies on the two consoles... The developers are going to do consoles first... and make the PC an after thought.

Microsoft themselves PROVES this point very well. hence, other than MS-Office, who needs a Windows computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.