William Shatner Temporarily Kicked Off Google+

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

[citation][nom]ReggieRay[/nom]Who Fing cares, especially about another in your face social networking fad.[/citation]

A 'fad' that's involved hundreds of millions of people for the last decade then. Where exactly have you been?

Do you live at home, alone, with 15 cats?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
A few weeks ago, while surfing Wikipedia randomly I came upon a piece of information that stunned me. I had an epiphany:

William Shatner was 50 years old when he was filming Star Trek 2 in 1981...

That means: WILLIAM SHATNER IS EIGHTY YEARS OLD... EIGHTY... 80

I NEVER would have guessed he was anything more than 65! Dang, he aged well...

EIGHTY!!!

And the man is on twitter and Google+...

nukemaster

Distinguished
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]A few weeks ago, while surfing Wikipedia randomly I came upon a piece of information that stunned me. I had an epiphany:William Shatner was 50 years old when he was filming Star Trek 2 in 1981...That means: WILLIAM SHATNER IS EIGHTY YEARS OLD... EIGHTY... 80I NEVER would have guessed he was anything more than 65! Dang, he aged well...EIGHTY!!!And the man is on twitter and Google+...[/citation]
i would not have believed it unless i google'd it my self :p

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Can't wait till residents of Fort Gay, FL are kicked-off Google+. I think Tom Anderson (MySpace founder) had a good comment about how what makes Google work is the automation (everything determined by algorithms), yet, there's nothing Social about a computer controlling a Social Network, so he's interested to see if Google can actually implement something human, and not just computer controlled.

Tying it back in, did some human being actually shut-down Shatner's account, or was it some computer that saw too many red-flags, and auto-banned him from the site? If we aren't William Shatner, how likely are we to get our account back when it was banned just because our stupid parents named us ESPN (espen) or Shithead (shi-thade)? What 14-year-old has valid ID that will pass Google's muster? I didn't have a passport until a year ago, and most kids can't drive till 15 or 16.

mik101

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2011
@hellwig. If you want an ID card and are willing to pay a few dollars for one. Most DMVs can help you out and get you a government ID card. Besides that have you ever heard of a birth certificate? Plus, in agricultural provinces (alteast in Canada) you can get your farmers/tractor license at 14 (which turns into a learners drivers license at 16). I'm sure farming states in the USA aren't that different.
So yeah, if you really want/need something to prove your identity -- it's not that difficult to source.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
Think about it for a moment, when the first season of star trek was filmed. All of this technology, was only a dream back then. The biggest thing at the time, expensive like a iphone or handheld gaming unit, used leading edge technology at the time was a battery powered transistor radio.
Most would boast how many it had in it and print it on the radio something like "9 transistor radio". Stereo was also new and expensive. And color tv's were as expensive as today's 65" lcd tv's (in today's dollars).
Except for the transporter (actually research is being done on that and they claim to have transported a few single atoms (proving Steven Hawking's theory ), warp drive(the physics and concept has been laid out by Steven Hawking),Time travel (Steven Hawking says it's possible actually),alternate universes or worlds (Steven Hawking again), basically every device that was dreamed of and used in star trek is now for sale and you can buy one in a store somewhere or the military has one. Even when Steven Hawking tries to explain his theory's in simple terms, I still don't get it.

-handheld medical scanners (handheld mri's)
-handheld communication device (cell phones)
-handheld computers (smart phones and laptops)
-tiny speakers/mic (blue tooth headsets)
-flat screens (lcd's)
-talking computers (voice recognition and text to speech)
-computer a.i. (almost there)
-computer knowledge bank (modern search engines and the internet)
-phazers (high powered lazers)
-guided heat seeking missiles (cruise missiles)
-gps
-3d medical imaging (cat scans and mri's)
-implants to restore sight and sound,limbs and mobility (still primitive today but progress is being made)
-spacestation
-drone airplanes
-hubble telescope
-computers with color 3d graphics (i think that one has been covered, lol.)
-plasma drive (controlled nuclear fission) (still working on that, the holy grail of energy)
-Captain's log stardate 070023 (send a email or tweet to the crew that i will be out on a away mission for a while)

The list goes on and on. No tv show or movie predicted more things that came true than this series, ever.

Without William Shatner and the star trek cast and crew dreaming up these things to later to be made, maybe google and google+ would not even exist today.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Given the fact that the best part of social networking would be the human parts of it, but to say that a social site running off algorithms isnt much a socail site to be at, then you should speak up and see what it can compute for what you have to say, cause if anything, you are just as much part of the site them as the algorithm when you input something. Probably only then though to say. Given theres others there to talk too, other then computers to say.

Or something along these lines, hopefully.

But a good point though.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]mik101[/nom]@hellwig. If you want an ID card and are willing to pay a few dollars for one. Most DMVs can help you out and get you a government ID card. Besides that have you ever heard of a birth certificate? Plus, in agricultural provinces (alteast in Canada) you can get your farmers/tractor license at 14 (which turns into a learners drivers license at 16). I'm sure farming states in the USA aren't that different.So yeah, if you really want/need something to prove your identity -- it's not that difficult to source.[/citation]
I agree you CAN get photo ID, my point was, how many 14-year olds actually have one? And yes, farming states allow driving at 14, but many coastal-states (where most of our population resides) do not.

As for a birth certificate, Google isn't a government institution, but I've never been allowed to use a birth certificate as ID. Proof of citizenship, yes, but never as ID.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
The use of algorithms by computers to filter things was thought up on the show too. Long before computers could do that sort of thing. But yes even on the show the computer required interaction to work.

GNCD

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2009
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]A few weeks ago, while surfing Wikipedia randomly I came upon a piece of information that stunned me. I had an epiphany:William Shatner was 50 years old when he was filming Star Trek 2 in 1981...That means: WILLIAM SHATNER IS EIGHTY YEARS OLD... EIGHTY... 80I NEVER would have guessed he was anything more than 65! Dang, he aged well...EIGHTY!!!And the man is on twitter and Google+...[/citation]

Googled for it too. Damn...80 friggins years old. He looks 60 or 70 at most. He looked 30ish when he was in Star Trek. How the hell...?

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
[citation][nom]need4speeds[/nom]Think about it for a moment, when the first season of star trek was filmed. All of this technology, was only a dream back then. The biggest thing at the time, expensive like a iphone or handheld gaming unit, used leading edge technology at the time was a battery powered transistor radio. Most would boast how many it had in it and print it on the radio something like "9 transistor radio". Stereo was also new and expensive. And color tv's were as expensive as today's 65" lcd tv's (in today's dollars). Except for the transporter (actually research is being done on that and they claim to have transported a few single atoms (proving Steven Hawking's theory ), warp drive(the physics and concept has been laid out by Steven Hawking),Time travel (Steven Hawking says it's possible actually),alternate universes or worlds (Steven Hawking again), basically every device that was dreamed of and used in star trek is now for sale and you can buy one in a store somewhere or the military has one. Even when Steven Hawking tries to explain his theory's in simple terms, I still don't get it. -handheld medical scanners (handheld mri's)-handheld communication device (cell phones)-handheld computers (smart phones and laptops)-tiny speakers/mic (blue tooth headsets)-flat screens (lcd's)-talking computers (voice recognition and text to speech)-computer a.i. (almost there)-computer knowledge bank (modern search engines and the internet)-phazers (high powered lazers)-guided heat seeking missiles (cruise missiles)-gps -3d medical imaging (cat scans and mri's)-implants to restore sight and sound,limbs and mobility (still primitive today but progress is being made)-spacestation-drone airplanes-hubble telescope-computers with color 3d graphics (i think that one has been covered, lol.)-plasma drive (controlled nuclear fission) (still working on that, the holy grail of energy)-Captain's log stardate 070023 (send a email or tweet to the crew that i will be out on a away mission for a while) The list goes on and on. No tv show or movie predicted more things that came true than this series, ever. Without William Shatner and the star trek cast and crew dreaming up these things to later to be made, maybe google and google+ would not even exist today.[/citation]
cool, so can i buy a phazer at radio shack?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS