Question win 10 upgrade for older laptops

Jan 14, 2020
I just saw an article where Microsoft mentions that some drivers for certain older laptops cannot be updated for win 10. So I'd like to buy an older laptop, and I checked the websites for Lenovo and Dell, and they do list older laptops that have been tested for win 10. Am I at a risk if I buy a used laptop that has been converted to win 10 and is not listed in their 'tested list'? Thanks.

Since many older laptops just are not really made to work with 10, no matter if they say they are listed as OK to work with it, you would be better off buying a newer laptop if you really want to have 10.

While the older one may say it works, the hardware just really wasn't set up to work well with it. Then when you add all the newer programs, which you would need, then it gets a little out of hand.

Plus 10 is great for updating things without your knowledge, and without you being able to say no. Other software that works in 10 is the same way. Add to that all the things that are running at once, since the preload with Windows when it loads, and you are using a lot of resources. Older devices just are not set up to work well with all that.

Now if you were talking a desktop, that would be a different story.

Also, many games use a ton of resources, so if you like to game you would really need a newer device.

Reactions: Don77
Jan 14, 2020
Thanks for the answers everybody, I may just pick up a win 8 laptop for now, until I can afford to buy a new one. So this win 10 upgrade, the computer manufacturers must all be dizzy with delight when they think about the bottom line....