Win 8 to 8.1 upgrade trap/scam???

edju

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
I recently upgraded one of my desktop computers to 8.1 from 8. When the PC restarted, message displayed was "Activate Windows & go to PC settings - enter key - buy key. Following prompts, I got to a key entry field and tried putting in my original key number. That's all I had to offer. That attempt failed. After some poking around, I got to my desk top and from there to PC properties where I found that the words Windows not validated was found.

I went to Windows Store web site and entered a chat room with a Windows rep. I was asked to allow a Log Me In session by the tech and I ok'd it. What followed was what I believe was a scam.

The tech went into the event viewer on my PC and roamed around there in great haste and likewise in cmd. prompt through registry files and more. The rep went through a bunch of phony cmd. prompt entries that were invalid, but for a novice seeing this, it would have been impressive to be witnessing someone in such unknown territory looking like they were the oracle of PC knowledge. I was told that I had thousands of file errors and failures that needed fixing. I was promised an immediate fix on everything but only if I agreed to pay 149.95 for a service agreement good for a year. I replied that the problem is Microsoft's doing and not the fault of the PC, especially since the PC has had no more than 20 hrs. use, mostly for updates and is when in productive use a ready mode stand by for stock buys. Tech's reply; Need 149.95 to fix everything now. My reply; I'm not going to pay for a problem caused by the 8.1 download, and if you won't fix the problem now, I want a call from escalation and I wrote my phone number in the reply field. Techs response; Need 149.95 to fix now. I began to highlight all the instant messaging text to copy to file and got everything I need to prove my case. The instant messaging link suddenly ended. I know that the tech person could see that I was copying our dialogue. Makes no difference who broke of the instant messaging. I have the proof of my rotten experience saved. I am outraged that a Microsoft tech support person would use such tactics to impose a $149.99 charge to "fix my 8.1 upgrade problem PLUS all the thousands of damaged registry files, that don't exist, that are the cause of my 8.1 download problem. This same computer worked flawlessly before the 8.1 upgrade. I'm not a newbie. 22 years daily heavy PC user.

HERE'S THE QUESTION: Who out there has had the same experience? How common is this? And where to go from here? I still have a bugged computer that I have to go through a few more motions to get into. I'm also wondering if I'd get in even deeper if I tried the beta Win 10 platform.

RealBeast

Distinguished
Do not use Windows 10 for anything other than testing.

You certainly were being scammed, but I seriously doubt that Microsoft was involved. I would scan for malware and viruses.

Windows 8.1 is a free upgrade from Windows 8.

At this point I would reinstall Windows 8 and then upgrade it to 8.1 properly.

edju

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
I actually went to the official Windows store to look for an explanation for the "activate Windows" problem If you have ever gone to the official Windows store web site, you will get a persistent pop up offering "can I help you". I accepted that offering and it led to my rotten experience with the tech support person. It ties in with an experience I had months ago. I got a call at home in the evening at a late hour from a person who said he was a Microsoft tech who detected malware on my PC The pitch was much the same. Fix it for money. Thing is, when he said I had malware in my computer, I asked which one, and he named it! WTF!

Paul NZ

Admirable
Microsoft tech who detected malware on my PC The pitch was much the same.

Fix it for money. Thing is, when he said I had malware in my computer <- This is a well known scam.

All they do is disable things and expect you to pay for it

NEVER let anyone into your system who rings you saying theyre from Microsoft.

They NEVER ring people who use windows. Unless you ring them first.

RealBeast

Distinguished
I've never tried to use Microsoft tech support, as they know a lot less than I do. That is pretty weak of them though. I've been quite unhappy with MS since they released Windows 8 and do not have a downloadable disk image for OEM purchasers, as they did for Windows 7 (where actually the retail image will work on OEM installs). It makes repairs and clean installs very difficult for most OEM users,

The only tech support that I regularly use is Adaptec for odd controller issues, and they know their stuff.

edju

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
Here's a new development. I have been restarting the 8.1 buggy update on and off 6 times in a row and it boots up into my desk top as it should. When first updated, it was a no go to the desktop. It's almost as if it's learning to behave. In computer properties it still shows the 8.1 install not activated.

edju

Estimable
Nov 15, 2014
My pc is a HP with the reset/operating system for Win 8 on a factory set partition. I was thinking of trying to go back to 8 via a reset from that partition but I have two concerns. Will the Win reset software still be there and not corrupted by the Win 8.1 download? If I can successfully reinstall Win 8 from that partition, do I risk going after the 8.1 free offering again and risk losing everything on my drive? What surprised me is that after the 2 hour or so download of 8.1, all my non Microsoft apps and programs is still intact and useable. A reset will only save Microsoft apps and my data.
And now, surprisingly, the PC has been restarted 6 times and has loaded right to my desktop w/o the blocking display asking for validation. Only hitch/non hitch is that computer properties still show "validate Win 8.1" Go figure! I think I'll just hang and see how it plays out.

qmeofules

Estimable
Dec 7, 2014
You certainly were being scammed, but I seriously doubt that Microsoft was involved. I would scan for malware and viruses.
92Eyn4