Win an Apple Watch from Tom's Guide!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2015
I am personally an android phone user, but my sister in law loves apple products and has many of their newest devices. She just had a baby boy a few weeks ago and due to unknown infections had to have her spleen removed just yesterday. I know that something like this would brighten her year, but I can't afford to get one for her on a student budget, and with their new medical bills it will be a while before they can. I would give her the watch because they could use some good fortune in their lives right now.

Steven Uy

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
How I'm going to use the watch

A mix between development purpose (currently an iOS Developer) and for personal use including Fitness tracking, glorified pager style, and music will be the most common.

Functionality will you use most often

Music or messages/email notifications

What outfit will you match it with it when you go out on the town?

I would probably change the band out for a leather band and it would be fit for a button down casual blazer

Which apps are you planning on downloading?

If an app exists that pairs or compliments my current apps, I will try it out. Otherwise top rated or new functionality apps.

Why are you excited about awesome new features like force touch and the digital crown?

Force touch and the digital crown add flexibility and an additional user interaction to consider. Physical buttons and switches are slowly being removed from devices, but a novelty digital crown can provide a closer, connected experience.

laxmisa

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
At home/friend's home, I always find it difficult to locate my phone as i keep it at places and forget. it becomes difficult to find it. With the watch I can track my mobile

I have good record [:p] of forgetting the mobile at places like laundry room, post offices, restaurant tables and what not places. With the apple watch i can get an alert within a few seconds of leaving my phone behind [at a distance from my watch]. thus i would never forget my phone.

(i am writing these applications for own use)

VOSO

Honorable
Oct 4, 2013
Watch should show time.
Smartwatch should save time.
If I will get the iWatch I will use it to simplify my life, and save my time.

It will serve as health & training companion.
It will be silent, taptic experience, or it will be controlled by voice.
It will be always with you when you need it to help organize your life.
It will help you to socialize or can further detach you from your personal relationship with people.

It is you to decide how you will use it, just don't let be outsmarted by smartwatch.
Be smart.

pmartin4665

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
I would use the Apple Watch in place of my current Fitbit Surge for tracking fitness activities (HR, cycling, etc.) - this would truly be the next progression in fitness tracking-wearables. I was intrigued by a segment featured on Nightline on Fusion titled Inside Apple's Top Secret Fitness Lab that documented the lengthy time spent in development of this watch - I'm really impressed by the potential of the Apple Watch. I really like the feature of text/phone call notifications from the watch; I currently have that with the Surge and appreciate being able to take a quick glance rather than having to pull out my iPhone (which I mostly keep in a Bellroy Elements Phone Pocket). I really like being able to track my sleep patterns (working 24/48 shifts as a firefighter, sleep deprivation becomes a reality!) as well as my resting HR and my workout activities. I haven't really decided on apps . . . I usually wait awhile before committing to those that are highly reviewed (via Tom's Guide, of course!); I'd mostly be interested in fitness-related apps. I'd really like to see if the Apple Watch could go longer than 24 hrs without a recharge . . . I'm willing to put it to the test!!!

emilydayon

Estimable
Apr 15, 2015
I would 100% use the applepay feature. Quite frankly I'm not the best at keeping my valued items together. How easy is it to pay for your cup of coffee with just a flick of the wrist?

tbq

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
What functionality will you use most often?

I've heard rumors that these are able to display the current time on my wrist rather than having to pull my phone out of my pocket. That would be an awsome feature if they can pull it off that I would use daily.

What outfit will you match it with when you go out on the town?

All of them.

Which apps are you planning on downloading?

Games and notification apps.

Why are you excited about awesome new features like force touch and the digital crown?

Because Steve wished for it to be so.

geronimo8

Honorable
Jul 27, 2012
I love keeping my iPhone at the very depths of by backpack for security reasons.
The watch will definitely help me not miss any messages or calls, especially from my wifey.

vargis14

Honorable
Feb 10, 2012
I have to say it will be great to not have to dig my mint condition Old iPhone 5 from my pocket because of its safety cover that has saved its life more than 20 times at least but if my jeans/shorts are a little tight even loose sweatpants you end up with a rabbit ear once you get it out. It can be a SOB to get it out of my pocket in a hurry that leads to those accidents of dropping your phone. Actually I think that is the leading cause of dropping your phone....rushing to get it out of your pocket.
Thank goodness I always take my phone out of my pocket before driving since if I were to do it while driving ...well that just would not be safe for anyone :)

As for style...well it is a iWatch you will get points just for that, but being able to change clock faces to match the accent of the clothes you are wearing is a major plus. I also hope they have some very cool Steampunk clock faces with some nice moving parts. Steam punk is fascinating over engineered stuff that just looks very cool and space age like but old at the same time. I am sure many agree with me.

Good luck everyone!

btnguyen

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'll enjoy the notification features. Will download the health tracking app for sport activity. No more Garmin needed. The watch should go with any style, it is elegantly design.

rebelmrd

Estimable
Apr 16, 2015
What functionality will you use most often? - I check the time about 1000 times a day ..... that will get used the most.

What outfit will you match it with when you go out on the town? - it will be an EDW item, suits, jeans, and running

Which apps are you planning on downloading? - weather apps, fitness, and messaging integration

Why are you excited about awesome new features like force touch and the digital crown? - honestly not all that exciting ....

ap8330

Estimable
Aug 1, 2014
I would mostly use it for personal health functions, as well as every day use as I go to school, eat out, etc. The watch would be ideal as phones are too bulky to carry around with you as you work out. Also the motion sensor captability would allow a more personalized style of fitness.

In-Vince-Able

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
I'd use the Apple Watch mostly for its' fitness app functionality. As a runner the Activity app will help keep stats available with a quick glance. Apps like Dark Sky will be useful to keep up to date on my running weather and Pandora is essential for music streaming during workouts. Other useful apps include USA Today and CNN top news article glances to stay in the know.

The Apple Watch Sport in black color style is such that I can use during my morning runs in my workout attire and then keep it on during work while in business casual attire. The email and text notice functionality is essential for preventing constant iPhone checking.

The new force touch and digital crown navigation seems very innovative and may be the differentiating factor when it comes to smartwatch navigation. Siri dictation will help by launching apps and sending quick texts. Using the Apple Watch should be a breeze.

Nice work to Apple for getting the smartwatch right and good luck to everyone in the contest!

Vince

klriley

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
The fitness features are definitely the big sell for me, but I'm sure I'd fall for some of the communication features too. Silly things like sending the customizable emoticons or drawings could be fun. And it'll be interesting to see what developers do with the platform once they get their hands on it.

Black sport band on the space grey watch is a classic look so I can't imagine what I'd wear that wouldn't look good with it. If I love the watch I might consider splurging on something like the Milanese loop eventually to really class it up.

Evernote would probably be my first download, I keep everything in there and having instant access to add or view notes on my wrist would be amazing.

Force touch seems like a clever concept, the "long press" has never been ideal and this can deliver similar results without the uncertainty. Again I'm most excited to see how different developers utilize the functionality. The digital crown is enticing just because it is a completely unique creation by Apple that we haven't seen on any other smartwatches to date. It seems like a great way to get around the limitations of trying to touch such a tiny screen and it sounds like it's a pleasure to use.

bvmcdaniel

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
I love watches and wear one everyday! I'd love to add this one to my collection and use it for the time (duh!), notifications, and anything else that I can do without having to dig my iPhone out of my pocket.

Hikari17

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
If I had an apple watch I would mainly use it as a way to stay connected with everyone and everything as well as keeping track of my fitness journies. Between school, work, and many other activities that I am involved In, I don't really have a lot of time to communicate and talk with them. With the apple watch, communicating with others will be a lot easier as I can just send them a message or a tap without consuming a lot of time and without the hassle of taking my phone out of my backpack or pocket and unlocking it.

As a huge fan of baseball, I plan on getting the mlb app where throughout my busy life I can stay connected to my favorite team (go tigers :)) no matter where I am.

Also as a student going into a computer science major, I plan on using the apple watch to further my knowledge of technology and explore every possible thing, and maybe eventually I will be able to make apps on my own.

As always I am a huge apple fan and I can't wait to experience it's features by myself :)

yes_bread

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
I will use it track fitness. I will download fitness apps. I will let others who do have an apple watch play with mine.

Burgundybeardboy

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
I'm going to use Hey Siri the most! I'm excited about how versatile my white Sport Band will be. I've already downloaded a calculator and Moon Phase app for it. The new features are going to change how I live my life and interact with my technology and world.

Status
Not open for further replies.