Win7 Laptops with SSD only (no HDD)

dbooksta

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012
Not sure why standard laptops are shipping with spinning disks anymore, but I'd like to get one with only a SSD (and ideally that's compatible with Windows7). I can't find a way to search for this on any of the standard sites I shop. Any tips on finding laptops with this criterion?

hpfreak

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
I don't know where you prefer to shop, but for most tech guys- it's Newegg (They generally have the best prices and shipping).

http://www.newegg.com/Laptops-Notebooks/SubCategory/ID-32

Scroll to the bottom of the configurator window on the left, and under "HDD", click on "SSD (14)".
That will show you PCs that only sport Solid State Drives...
As for compatibility, I don't know of many laptops shipping today that aren't compatible with Windows 7. If you're looking for a machine that is preintalled with it, you can check the box specifying the OS you want.

Because SDDs are expensive. Would I prefer a laptop to have a 500GB SDD vs. a 500GB HDD? Sure. But I don't wanna spend that kinda money.

dbooksta

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

Yes, Newegg was my first stop. Their standard configurator doesn't list HDD as a picklist, but rather as slider. If I go to Power Search I only see HDD options listing SSDs on systems with large HDDs.

dbooksta

Honorable
Dec 28, 2012

I just got an 180GB Intel 520 SSD for $130. That's sufficient capacity for my laptops, killer performance, and not a big money factor. (For bulk storage I use external drives or NAS.)